IGNORED

2 button joystick ?

R0ger

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've added 2 button support to The Dreadnaught Factor (original cart version).

It now has a separate bomb button, which handles more or less like the 5200 version.

This should make the higher difficulties more manageable ?

Please add this to the Joy2B wiki...

Dreadnaught Factor (The) - Joy2b.car

• Like 3

And here's Bellum too, now with separate fire (Button 1) and bomb (Button 2) buttons.

Thank you, Adam Michael Billyard, for writing two different codepaths for the shots and bombs (both of which poll TRIG0) and making this a surprisingly easy hack...

NOTE: This is based on the xex file from Homesoft; I'm not sure if there's any differences between this and the original disk image...

Bellum - Homesoft - Joy2B version.xex

• Like 5

And now, here's Countermeasure (based on the Glenn the 5200 Man hack).

Button 1: Shoot

Button 2: Hold while moving the joystick to aim the turret.  If you press and hold the button while the turret is moving, your tank will continue to move while you move the turret with the joystick.

This now matches original 5200 behavior (at least, from what I could tell).

This game is severely less frustrating when you can more easily aim the turret in a different direction than your movement. ?

This has been tested to work for player 1 and player 2.

(And no, I didn't change the controls for the failsafe code entry... (use the O, L, and E keys on the keyboard))

Countermeasure - Joy2B.xex

• Like 4

It is great to see more and more games beeing adapted.

I really like the idea of the WIKI on the Github:

https://github.com/ascrnet/Joy2Bplus/wiki/Games

where you maintain detailed information about the games.

For example:

"Separate fire (Button 1) and bomb (Button 2) buttons" - this is a good example

"Support is added" - I hope this could be improved and the function of the buttons explained

Again - great project ?

• Like 1

And now, Super Cobra - a game that didn't even have two button firing on the 5200!

Button 2: Bomb

(For those curious, the game originally alternated between shots and bombs with each button press)

Unfortunately, I had to expand the rom to 16K (originally 8K) so that I could fit the extra code (with button debouncing).

But hey, maybe someone on this forum can take that opportunity and make the title screen look much, much nicer ?

Tested on the first level with players 1 and 2.

Super Cobra - Joy2B+ (16K).car

• Like 6

thanks Bobo Cujo for his contributions, I already uploaded them to the git and the updated wiki.?

17 hours ago, TheMontezuma said:

I really like the idea of the WIKI on the Github:

https://github.com/ascrnet/Joy2Bplus/wiki/Games

where you maintain detailed information about the games.

For example:

"Separate fire (Button 1) and bomb (Button 2) buttons" - this is a good example

"Support is added" - I hope this could be improved and the function of the buttons explained

Absolutely right ?. I assumed that they knew the games well so a short description will change it a bit like the description Bobo Cujo gives?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bobo Cujo said:

Here's Gremlins (based on the Glenn the 5200 Man hack).

Button 1: Sword

Button 2: Flash Cube (formerly Shift)

This now matches original 5200 behavior.

Tested with players 1 and 2.

? good contribution friend, thanks.

I already uploaded them to the git and the updated wiki.?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bobo Cujo said:

Here's Bandits (based on a cracked disk version).

Button 2: Activate Shield - hold to continue using the shield (formerly UP on controller 1), release to stop using the shield (formerly DOWN on controller 1).

Bandits - Joy2B.atr 90.02 kB · 3 downloads

thanks for another contribution !!!!!?

I already uploaded them to the git and the updated wiki.?

And now, Conan.

Button 1: Throw Sword

Button 2: Jump (formerly UP on the controller)

Note that UP on the controller still climbs ladders.

Effectively, this hack means:

1) The Atari version button mapping now matches that of the original Apple ][ version (no analog joystick controls, though).

2) You can jump even if you're right in front of a ladder.

3) No more jumping right into an enemy at the very end of a ladder climb because you held UP a frame too long.*

Tested across the entire game and between games.

Note that this disk image seems to have an issue in Level 7 where it's possible to get stuck in the wall next to the jump pad - I don't know offhand if that's an issue with all copies of the game, but it's easy enough to avoid...

This is a 2-disk game, but the only one that actually changed is Disk 1 (which contains the actual game logic). 

(* unfortunately, this hack can't help you with the game's other issues - RNG giving you horribly unfavorable enemy patterns and wait times, the inconsistent frame rate, knocking your head on the ceiling and falling to your doom, etc. etc...)

Conan - Joy2B - Disk 1.atr Conan - Joy2B - Disk 2.atr

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Bobo Cujo said:

And now, Conan.

Button 1: Throw Sword

Button 2: Jump (formerly UP on the controller)

Note that UP on the controller still climbs ladders.

Effectively, this hack means:

1) The Atari version button mapping now matches that of the original Apple ][ version (no analog joystick controls, though).

2) You can jump even if you're right in front of a ladder.

3) No more jumping right into an enemy at the very end of a ladder climb because you held UP a frame too long.*

Tested across the entire game and between games.

Note that this disk image seems to have an issue in Level 7 where it's possible to get stuck in the wall next to the jump pad - I don't know offhand if that's an issue with all copies of the game, but it's easy enough to avoid...

This is a 2-disk game, but the only one that actually changed is Disk 1 (which contains the actual game logic). 

(* unfortunately, this hack can't help you with the game's other issues - RNG giving you horribly unfavorable enemy patterns and wait times, the inconsistent frame rate, knocking your head on the ceiling and falling to your doom, etc. etc...)

thanks for the contribution and for the details of the game. i have a .car version if you want to modify it ?

14 hours ago, Bobo Cujo said:

Yay simple two-byte changes ?

if some games are simple, in others you have to add a more complex routine. ?

I already uploaded them to the git and the updated wiki.

On 8/6/2020 at 9:38 PM, Bobo Cujo said:

I didn't realize that someone on this forum had made Conan into a cartridge until you mentioned it ?

Here's the cartridge version of Conan Joy2B.

Luckily, the memory mapping of the input code is the exact same as in the disk version, so it was just a matter of copy/pasting in the hex editor...

Conan - Joy2B.car 256.02 kB · 7 downloads

?thank you, if I find the .car version better to eliminate the load waiting ?

• Like 1

Here's Seafox - the cartridge version.

Button 1: Shoot torpedo upward

Button 2: Shoot torpedo to the right

(former controls: Tap and release button 1 to shoot a torpedo upward; hold down the button to shoot a torpedo to the right)

This now matches the controls from original Apple ][ version, complete with the torpedoes launching on button press rather than button release.

Bizarrely, the Homesoft .xex version (as well as at least some of the disk versions floating around) eschew the rightwards torpedoes in favor of letting you have three upwards torpedoes on screen at once (but no horizontal firing)...

Seafox - Joy2B.car

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bobo Cujo said:

Here's Seafox - the cartridge version.

Button 1: Shoot torpedo upward

Button 2: Shoot torpedo to the right

(former controls: Tap and release button 1 to shoot a torpedo upward; hold down the button to shoot a torpedo to the right)

This now matches the controls from original Apple ][ version, complete with the torpedoes launching on button press rather than button release.

Bizarrely, the Homesoft .xex version (as well as at least some of the disk versions floating around) eschew the rightwards torpedoes in favor of letting you have three upwards torpedoes on screen at once (but no horizontal firing)...

Seafox - Joy2B.car 16.02 kB · 7 downloads

perfect, so the gameplay is increased and thank you.?

I already uploaded them to the git and the updated wiki.

And now, Commando (XEGS Cartridge).

Button 2: Throw Grenade (formerly Down + Button 1)

This now matches the original arcade version's controls, complete with the ability to fire grenades no matter what direction you're facing/moving.

For whatever reason, there's code in there to randomly fire the grenades (lda RANDOM, and 0x3, beq ...) under some condition I couldn't figure out.

I removed it since it sounded detrimental to the gameplay...

(I don't think the demo uses it either?)

Commando - Joy2B.car

• Like 2