R0ger

2 button joystick ?

I often use a nail or something similar to make a dimple in the center before drilling. You want something for the drill bit to start in to keep it centered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, biobern said:

Maybe this drill will produce less melting plastic cause it only cuts a circle? 

https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/494089_-lochsaege-30-mm-2608584623-bosch.html

Maybe with fixed drill, but in hand this drill is totally unusable. It's also somewhat rough, it's usually intended for dry wall.

• Thanks 1

Not appealing to 400/800/XE/XEGS owners, I think something less model specific might work better

656108424_JoystickBox.png.33259208c534f20a210867f2ad9b6608.png

• Like 2

You can always just buy an existing donor controller/joystick for any system, and replace hardware/wiring as you please (versus trying to find a project enclosure that may work):

aDmRyE.png

This was originally a Sega Saturn controller that looked like this:

yR2DRy.jpg

That way you end up with a good looking controller, and it will be big enough to provide adequate hand/wrist support when playing.  

If you're drilling a hole with a hand-held drill (any type of bit) there is always going to be some amount of "walking" of the bit no matter what you do, but a center-punch can help with the starting of your small pilot bit.  I use a CNC we have at work for most of my projects, but for 1 off designs where I don't want to bother to program the CNC, I'll print an actual-size layout template, transfer the hole center points and use an electric/hydraulic knock-out punch for the joystick/pushbutton holes.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, doubledown said:

You can always just buy an existing donor controller/joystick for any system, and replace hardware/wiring as you please (versus trying to find a project enclosure that may work):

aDmRyE.png

That's great work! How did you do the wooden surface?

Normally, I'd say that modern fighting sticks look too big for our little Ataris. And "just not 80s enough". But this one looks marvellous!

Bern

11 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Not appealing to 400/800/XE/XEGS owners, I think something less model specific might work better

656108424_JoystickBox.png.33259208c534f20a210867f2ad9b6608.png

Wow! But not an easy printout!

Edited by biobern

2 hours ago, biobern said:

That's great work! How did you do the wooden surface?

Normally, I'd say that modern fighting sticks look too big for our little Ataris. And "just not 80s enough". But this one looks marvellous!

Bern

For the wood grain CPO...I had used some adhesive-backed wood grain vinyl for another project I did.  So for this one I scanned in at 600 dpi, a large 11"x17" sample of that vinyl, then high resolution photo-printed and heat laminated it.  In my opinion, this donor controller/housing, at approximately 11.75" wide x 9.25" deep, is about as small as I would say is comfortable for a table/lap top arcade stick.  Too much smaller and you end up with something like this:

QFuQwO.jpg

...where your hands/wrists/palms have no support, hang off of the edges, or have to hover in mid-air to use.  Not to mention, a little extra size always adds a little extra weight so that the controller doesn't feel so cheap and flimsy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doubledown said:

...where your hands/wrists/palms have no support, hang off of the edges, or have to hover in mid-air to use.  Not to mention, a little extra size always adds a little extra weight so that the controller doesn't feel so cheap and flimsy.  

Absolutely right! I don't understand why so many fighting sticks do not mount the buttons near the backside. (there is a reason however not to mount the _joystick_ near the backside, because the case could tilt if you can't use the wrist-rest for some reason.)