IGNORED

Video improvment on 5 pin C64

Hi,

I'm wondering what are the option for improving the video output on a 5 pin C64 since it lacks a true chroma output via the connector ( it only offer luma and mixed composite).

Is there a way to tap a pure chroma signal on those model?

You might be able to tap directly from the VIC-II with the proper circuitry. I am not certain if there are any expansions which do this.

Oh well, I've got a C128 on the way so no big problem as it will be my main machine anyway (for commodore stuff).

That 5 pins C64 is a recent acquisition (real cheap $$ for once) and is in like new condition, beside the normal oxidation on the tin plated connectors which I cleaned with deoxit. It'll be my spare in case the C128 goes belly up.

And while I wait for the C128 to get here I took the time to fix my 1080. The composite video jack was loose and it was missing the two screw post beside the rgb jack. The speaker is also defect but since I'm using a PC speaker/sub for audio I don't really care.

Edited by AMenard

Ray Carlsen can mod your 5-pin a/v port to an 8-pin port, thus giving you true chroma and luma. He installs the 8-pin port and rewires off the RF modulator. However, you do lose any functionality of the RF modulator.

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

June 9-10 Pacific Commodore Expo NW 2018 - http://www.portcommodore.com/pacommex

August 11-12 Commodore Vegas Expo v14 2018 - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

Yes, I would definitely keep a 5-pin C64 as a collector's item, in particular if it is in such good condition. If you insist, you are likely able to trade with a later breadbin in similar condition and get some cash inbetween or extra peripherals.

Yes, I would definitely keep a 5-pin C64 as a collector's item, in particular if it is in such good condition. If you insist, you are likely able to trade with a later breadbin in similar condition and get some cash inbetween or extra peripherals.

Oh, I'm keeping it as it is. I would have mod it if it was trivial to do so, but I won't start butchering it when I've got a C128 on the way. I'm also trying to get my hand on a PAL C64C...

• Like 1