IGNORED

Intellivision Entertainment launching a NEW Intellivision console

Rev

Tommy has stated that they are expecting to sell the console at a profit or break-even. Even though other consoles sell at a loss, it seems unlikely the Amico will need to. They are going for high quality 2D games, not blazing 3D games that require a massive video chip and CPU.

Tommy has said the reason for listing all the retro games in the Amico announcement video is because the audience in the room at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo are the sort of people who attend a retro gaming expo, hence mentioning the retro games. I don't expect retro games to be the main focus of the console when it releases.

• Like 1

... What I don't like is Tommy saying STFU until you have played the console and given it a chance. It is always a red flag when people want to shut down free speech rather than answer questions and let people have their opinions.

Where has Tommy actually "shut down free speech"?

You are attempting to move the goal posts. No one said he was shutting down free speech. He would like to shut down free speech and only have positive comments.

It was an Interview/talk from ReviewTechUSA.

In the Interview Tommy defended Mike Kennedy, saying Kennedy went into Retro VGS with good intentions, and things got out of control. Huge red flag for anyone defending Mike Kennedy. You should be saying what he did was inexcusable, and Intellivision Entertainment will never do that. Tommy said Mike Kennedy is a nice guy and meant well.

At the end of the interview, Tommy says no one is entitled to an opinion until they system is released and they have played it, because he is not doing Kickstarter. He told people to STFU until the system is released, and they have played it (He spelled out STFU, and did not say the F word). Huge red flags when he defends Mike Kennedy, and huge red flag when he doesn't want his system to stand up to free and open discussions.

If your console is great and does all the features they are advertising, then negative comments and haters will be seen as the minority, and the overwhelming positive reactions will determine the reputation of the console. IF you have to try to shut down free speech, it is because you are trying to hide the truth.

Edited by Hannacek

You are attempting to move the goal posts. No one said he was shutting down free speech. He would like to shut down free speech and only have positive comments.

It was an Interview/talk from ReviewTechUSA.

In the Interview Tommy defended Mike Kennedy, saying Kennedy went into Retro VGS with good intentions, and things got out of control. Huge red flag for anyone defending Mike Kennedy. You should be saying what he did was inexcusable, and Intellivision Entertainment will never do that. Tommy said Mike Kennedy is a nice guy and meant well.

At the end of the interview, Tommy says no one is entitled to an opinion until they system is released and they have played it, because he is not doing Kickstarter. He told people to STFU until the system is released, and they have played it (He spelled out STFU, and did not say the F word). Huge red flags when he defends Mike Kennedy, and huge red flag when he doesn't want his system to stand up to free and open discussions.

If your console is great and does all the features they are advertising, then negative comments and haters will be seen as the minority, and the overwhelming positive reactions will determine the reputation of the console. IF you have to try to shut down free speech, it is because you are trying to hide the truth.

post-53348-0-49184300-1541286410.png

• Like 3

I've noticed this "free speech" line being used more and more in the retro gaming community when companies block aggressive commenters or otherwise don't promote negative reviews. It's really a funny phenomenon. Why there are people out there who think a company should encourage negative coverage (and often-times over-the-top with language and other theatrics) in the name of "free speech" is beyond me.

• Like 1

I've noticed this "free speech" line being used more and more in the retro gaming community when companies block aggressive commenters or otherwise don't promote negative reviews. It's really a funny phenomenon. Why there are people out there who think a company should encourage negative coverage (and often-times over-the-top with language and other theatrics) in the name of "free speech" is beyond me.

The problem is that there is no real video game journalism. Game websites will just repeat whatever the companies say. Coleco is back, or Atari is back. Coleco went bankrupt in the 80's, and Atari went bankrupt in the 90's. These are new companies that purchased the name and logo. Tommy says Intellivision never went out of business in the ReviewTech interview. But then he admits several companies over the years have purchased the name, and he is the current name holder.

The only people who questioned and fought back against Mike Kennedy was the people on the forums who figured out the exact model of capture card they put in the Jaguar shell. Free and open discussion on the internet is the only thing holding them accountable. If the prototype was real, and Mike Kennedy was honest, then the critics online would have been ignored and forgotten. Mike Kennedy would have gone to that Toy Show and silenced the critics when he produced the real prototype he promised. But, the critics were right, and he was exposed as a fraud.

When there are red flags, questions need to be asked, and the companies should answer those questions. But if you don't answer the questions, then that just raises more red flags.

Edited by Hannacek

The problem is that there is no real video game journalism. <snip>

When there are red flags, questions need to be asked, and the companies should answer those questions. But if you don't answer the questions, then that just raises more red flags.

That's all completely different than stifling so-called free speech. There's no way to stifle anything on the Internet. What these people want is every question answered and every negative reaction - even when it's curse-filled, violent, or otherwise out-of-line - to be acknowledged. Just like people have the right to say what they want, companies have a right to ignore or block what they deem as counter-productive.

• Like 2

I think he has a right to tell people to stfu. Or does he not have the right?

I don't have an opinion on Mike Kennedy so what does that mean? Nothing, because I don't know Mike Kennedy. Do you know him? Have you interacted with him? Or are you just butthurt over the whole Chameleon thing amd can't let it go? Did anyone lose money over the whole Chameleon debacle? Serious question. If no one did, then Mike Kennedy might not be as bad as you make him out to be.

It was pretty bad what Mike Kennedy did. He created multiple fake prototypes and claimed they were legitimate. He can't show his face at conventions or gaming events. He has been ostracized from the community. There are also a lot of people he didn't pay or give credit to for writing articles for his magazine. And he had this crazy idea to start a gaming auction site to compete with ebay. He gave away free accounts to get it started, everyone else has to pay a 3% commission instead of the 10% ebay charges. The only people who sell on the site are people with the free accounts. And I'm sure they also have the same items listed on ebay.

I don't know Bernie Madoff personally, but I have an opinion that he is one of the worst people on Earth. He defrauded charities, universities, and even Holocaust survivors. But I guess Mike Kennedy is an ok guy because he tried to scam people out of thousands, and not millions, and he got caught before anyone gave him money.

If Madoff was a shitty con artist and got caught before he took anyone's money, then I guess we would say he was an ok guy too.

Edited by Hannacek

IF you have to try to shut down free speech, it is because you are trying to hide the truth.

I think you're taking this just a little bit too seriously. I'm sure that Tommy Tallarico was not following the doings of Mike Kennedy as closely as those of us who were doing our best to track his every move during the RVGS/Chameleon debacle. I can understand how a casual observer who doesn't have the full picture might think that the RetroVGS project was undertaken with the best of intentions and that Mike Kennedy was a great guy, so I wouldn't go so far as to characterize what Tallarico said about him as a "defense." I also don't think he's out to "shut down free speech" just because he's asking people to make an informed decision about his product and isn't willing to put up with their abuse.

• Like 2

Did anyone lose money over the whole Chameleon debacle? Serious question. If no one did, then Mike Kennedy might not be as bad as you make him out to be.

Yes. You can read about it in the (admittedly long) RetroVGS and/or Coleco Chameleon threads, but to summarize from memory: Mike Kennedy's former business partners lost money after he cut them off, and I'm sure the people who were working with him at RETRO Magazine and GameGavel were also owed money after those enterprises crashed and burned in the wake of the Chameleon disaster. There were also others who may or may not have lost money directly, but whose ancillary dealings with Mike Kennedy certainly cost them time and effort and left them with some degree of PR mess that they had to clean up afterward, with no help from Mike: Eli of Piko Interactive, Albert and Kevtris right here on AtariAge, Brian Barnhart of BTB Films, John "Gamester81" Lester, Pat and Ian of the CUPodcast, StopDrop&Retro, and probably others that I'm forgetting at the moment.

So yes, Mike Kennedy was at least as bad as you've heard. The only reason that a lot more people didn't end up losing money on a Coleco Chameleon crowdfunding campaign is because many people in the community—including several here on AtariAge—did the job that "gaming journalists" failed to do, and exposed that project as the scam that it was, before it could make it that far.

Bringing this back on topic: I don't see how the new Intellivision console even belongs in the same conversation, because they're taking their own risks with their own money in pursuit of their own vision.

• Like 4

In that last youtube interview it's mentioned that they have a $10M+ marketing budget and will have quality celebrity endorsements. They plan to launch in Canada, Mexico, United States, Europe, UK in Oct 2020. Japan, South America, Australia, New Zealand will follow.

If you have questions, you can ask in the youtube comments of the interviews. Tommy Tallarico has been responding there.

Edited by mr_me

I think you're taking this just a little bit too seriously. I'm sure that Tommy Tallarico was not following the doings of Mike Kennedy as closely as some of us. I can understand how a casual observer who doesn't have the full picture might think that the RetroVGS project was undertaken with the best of intentions and that Mike Kennedy was a great guy, so I wouldn't go so far as to characterize what Tallarico said about him as a "defense." I also don't think he's out to "shut down free speech" just because he's asking people to make an informed decision and isn't willing to put up with their abuse.

And what does Mike Kennedy matter to INTV? Nothing. So who gives two shits? If Mike Kennedy was running this then yes. But by this reasoning if you know one person who has done a shady thing you are therefore shady and throwing up red flags.

Is the system going to be a POS? Don't know. But I am excited to see something a little different than what is out there. Also nice to see that there is no crowdfunding.

• Like 2

Bringing this back on topic: I don't see how the new Intellivision console even belongs in the same conversation, because they're taking their own risks with their own money in pursuit of their own vision.

Not to say the rest of your post wasn't important but I feel like this is the biggest point. CollectorVision Phoenix is seeing people yell Chameleon the same way. Even though if people paid attention the Chameleon has nothing to do with Amico or Phoenix. Maybe people need to let go.

• Like 1

Agreed. Tommy might have been a little abrasive with the STFU line but he's correct. We can have opinions on the ideas he's putting forth, that's fine, but until the final product is released we really have no reason to preemptively judge something that doesn't exist yet. Of course this would all be vastly different if he was using kickstarter but since it's being privately funded I preach patience. Personally I'm on the fence about the Amico but I am intrigued and interested with what is to come from Tommy and his team. I might end up loving it.

• Like 1

Not to say the rest of your post wasn't important but I feel like this is the biggest point. CollectorVision Phoenix is seeing people yell Chameleon the same way. Even though if people paid attention the Chameleon has nothing to do with Amico or Phoenix. Maybe people need to let go.

No one is saying CollectorVision Phoenix is the Chameleon all over again. It has never been accused of being a scam. People have legitimate concerns about the Phoenix, but rather than address those concerns, the defenders of Phoenix say everyone is hating and crying Chameleon, and end of discussion. The Kickstarter goal was high at $230,000. It was legitimate to question the viability of reaching that goal. However the Phoenix defenders cry, stop accusing us of being the Chameleon, whenever someone brings up a legitimate point. They never address the legitimate points, or let people have their opinions without being called haters.

Some people can't afford the $200 price point for various reasons, and some people want additional features not in the console, or want features removed so the price can go below $200. People are entitled to their opinions. But rather than address any legitimate concerns, the Phoenix defenders throw out, this is not the Chameleon, get over it.

No one is saying CollectorVision Phoenix is the Chameleon all over again. It has never been accused of being a scam. People have legitimate concerns about the Phoenix, but rather than address those concerns, the defenders of Phoenix say everyone is hating and crying Chameleon, and end of discussion. The Kickstarter goal was high at $230,000. It was legitimate to question the viability of reaching that goal. However the Phoenix defenders cry, stop accusing us of being the Chameleon, whenever someone brings up a legitimate point. They never address the legitimate points, or let people have their opinions without being called haters.

Some people can't afford the $200 price point for various reasons, and some people want additional features not in the console, or want features removed so the price can go below $200. People are entitled to their opinions. But rather than address any legitimate concerns, the Phoenix defenders throw out, this is not the Chameleon, get over it.

Then you haven't been paying attention to how people have been reacting to it online. I have seen the Chameleon and Mike Kennedy mentioned in a lot of the videos regarding the Phoenix. My point is I am tired of hearing Mike Kennedy. Get over it. But as far as the Phoenix goes I wish it well and is an okay price considering it has SGM support. But I can't budget the $200 right now.

This system may be a flop but at least they are going about it the right way. STFU might be abrasive but he has at least communicated more about the Amico than what Atari has done with the Atacobox.

Then you haven't been paying attention to how people have been reacting to it online. I have seen the Chameleon and Mike Kennedy mentioned in a lot of the videos regarding the Phoenix. My point is I am tired of hearing Mike Kennedy. Get over it. But as far as the Phoenix goes I wish it well and is an okay price considering it has SGM support. But I can't budget the $200 right now.

This system may be a flop but at least they are going about it the right way. STFU might be abrasive but he has at least communicated more about the Amico than what Atari has done with the Atacobox.

On Atariage I have not seen one comparison between Phoenix and Chameleon. Where have there been comparisons? People have said Mike Kennedy and the Chameleon thing happened. Saying something happened in a review or commentary doesn't mean you are accusing CollectorVision of doing it. Merely mentioning something happened in the past doesn't accuse CollectorVision of doing it again. You need to directly connect the two. I have not seen that anywhere on Atari Age or Youtube.

I have not heard one thing about Mike Kennedy since he made that last ditch effort non-apology to the community about how he too was scammed by Mr. Lee or whoever was working on the prototype. The next thing I heard about Mike Kennedy was the CollectorVision Phoenix Kickstarter saying they have nothing to do with Chameleon or Coleco Holdings. It needed to be said, and they said it. No one is questioning that they have any connections.

Edited by Hannacek

200.00 with two controllers and adapter for 2600 fair more than fair

Right now it is $200 with no controllers, and 2600 support is for loading roms on and SD card. They are saying they might make a 2600 cartridge adapter later, but that will cost extra. They will sell you a generic SNES controller for $10, but those are the same generic SNES controllers you can get anywhere else. They are saying they will make an original controller at some point in the future.

In my opinion $200 is a fair price given all the features, and given that a small company can't manufacture millions of units to get the sale price way down.

Edited by Hannacek

It was an Interview/talk from ReviewTechUSA. <video snip>

You made the bold accusation that Tommy wanted to "shut down free speech". Someone asking for evidence is not "moving the goal posts"; making the original accusation in the first place is. Not providing evidence for such an accusation and then complaining about getting called out only makes it look worse.

Save statements about "shutting down free speech" for when Tommy or Intellivision Entertainment actually attempts that (i.e. like what Coleco Holdings LLC did last year). Tommy saying STFU until people try out the console is not a free speech issue.

That said, if Tommy saying STFU bothers you then feel free to call him out on that. Everyone has the right to do so. Same goes for his comments on Mike Kennedy. Call those out if you feel they were wrong. Those are part of a healthy discussion. Personally, while my limited face-to-face interactions with Mike Kennedy were fine, I regard Mike Kennedy as a dirtbag for his actions with the Coleco Chameleon.