IGNORED

Gyruss for Intellivision?

This is a common misconception. There are lots of programs, binary or source, uploaded for free download without a license. Almost all of them are not public domain.

Even if it's declared "public domain", it's better to contact the owner because people have different ideas of the meaning of public domain.

It's somewhat risky using "abandoned" code; it still belongs to somebody and requires their permission. In most cases nobody will know but there's always the chance someone will complain.

As a professional developer, I'll just echo what mr_me said (I suspect he's a professional developer as well). If there is no license, then it is unknown if the code is open source or not. It is risky to use such code.

So would you believe that they were sure in good faith that my game was public domain, free to be packed and sold with their name?

Add to that the following little nugget from the post:

"At this point there is to find the shells and the cards and evaluate the cost. Everything magically resolves almost by itself, we find the typography to a quality never seen before (to hear Dino, I know very little about it) 3D printing for shells and hardware cards."

As a person with lots of experience with what goes into producing a game release, as well as 3d Printing design and production, there is no way:

• 3d printed shells
  • "typography to a quality never seen before" (hyperbole to the max, I wish there was an easy way to write that sound you make when you sneeze into your arm while saying "bullshit")...a box is a box, whether offset printed or not, Parker style or not and we know what they cost
  • basic PCB's containing a minimally modified IntyBasic game

is worth 150 euros and would need to be artificially limited to 100 copies since you would be able to have an endless supply of PCBs and shells.

• Like 1

The price and volume isn't that relevant IMHO. Even if they had advertised 500 copies at 70 Euro each, it still would be based on someone else's properties, not to mention the uncertainity if they had obtained licensing to use the Gyruss name and logotype (I think I know the answer to that, but I'll pretend I don't).

not to mention the uncertainity if they had obtained licensing to use the Gyruss name and logotype (I think I know the answer to that, but I'll pretend I don't).

This happens here all the time , so why single one person out on this..

not to jump on you Carlsson just stating a fact. With most new Homebrew ,game releases/boxes/or any other intellivision farkles coming out these days .. There is licensing issue's...

• Like 1

The concept of Intellectual Property has always been played fast and loose at least in the Intellivision community. This however is the first I've seen of actually stealing code for a home-brew work-in-progress. I don't need any game that badly.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sigh. He's back. ?

post-37124-0-49605300-1537639076_thumb.png

This notification showed up in my email. The Facebook group "INTELLIVISION Retro Gamers" had already removed the post by the time by the time I went to investigate.

So much for earlier promises (emphasis mine):

I'm not going to sell Gyruss and the game is totally and permanently withdrawn from sales, not even a copy has been distributed

I know this might open up old wounds but warning people seemed more important in this situation.

• Like 1

Sigh. He's back.

attachicon.gifDino Yachaya with Gyruss.png

This notification showed up in my email. The Facebook group "INTELLIVISION Retro Gamers" had already removed the post by the time by the time I went to investigate.

So much for earlier promises (emphasis mine):

I know this might open up old wounds but warning people seemed more important in this situation.

Oh, but he wouldn't lie... he apologized because he didn't know he was stealing someone's work... :roll:

P.S. Thanks for the heads-up.

This is a new version completely rewritten and based on "pit engine" that I published months ago in the development section of this forum. There is not a single line of the previous code and the maths are all rethought from the white sheet: Follow a dedicated post with the video

A lot of hard core Intellivision collectors are watching this thread already.

Most of us are probably wondering what to do.

Is this game actually for sale as Gyruss and if it is,should we buy it?

Or is it just stolen code in a very pretty box and package that we should boycott out of principle?

I certainly don't know quite what to do! :? :ponder:

• Like 1

My point is what they have done rather than what they are selling today.

They have stolen my game in development to sell it at 150 euros changing the title, without giving credits, trying to make the whole thing lying and negating any evidence. This should be sufficient to avoid any kind of business with them provided that ethics is not negotiable.

They tried a horrible fraud at the expense of the collectors selling a free game as their Gyruss (at 150!!!)

Edited by artrag

I believe at this point it is like buying Schrödinger's cat. You won't know if it is alive or dead until after purchasing it, assuming you even open the box.

Maybe the game is fine (or not, my game is good) but the question is: should the scene support people like that?

After that they have tried such a scam at the expense of the scene itself...

Edited by artrag

A lot of hard core Intellivision collectors are watching this thread already.

Most of us are probably wondering what to do.

Is this game actually for sale as Gyruss and if it is,should we buy it?

Or is it just stolen code in a very pretty box and package that we should boycott out of principle?

I certainly don't know quite what to do! :? :ponder:

I wouldn't buy it. It's better to wait and see the game in action before purchasing.

• Like 2

I am 90% of the development: there are no advanced change stages and entry formations and a few other things. then I would like to improve the sounds and the dead times a little more.

I've already done a video but the level of development is already beyond. in the next few days I will publish another one if you also allow here.

What happened was an error in good faith and I have already explained it in all its parts.

I wouldn't buy it. It's better to wait and see the game in action before purchasing.

And if all 100 of them are sold and gone before that time, as a collector would you feel you missed something?

If you are only a gamer looking at the quality of game play, maybe it may not matter as much for someone to miss it if the game is the only part that sucks and all they want is a great game.

I am literally just asking questions at this point,searching for other answers! :)

No, Dino and you wasn't in in good faith and what you did is of utmost gravity.

The proof of you have arranged a deliberate fraud for the scene are the facts and in the lies Dino has tried to tell me when I've asked him explanations.

You and Dino have already admitted to have taken my game, defaced it with your titles and tried to sell it at 150€/piece as yours without giving to the people a single screen shoot of the game play to avoid any comparison with Deep Zone...

It was a well conceived fraud, not an error in good faith.

Now you can have rewritten my code even 10 times, but this does not change what you did and what you are and the fact that you should not receive any kind of support from those you have tried to fraud in such a blatant way.

Edited by artrag

I am 90% of the development: there are no advanced change stages and entry formations and a few other things. then I would like to improve the sounds and the dead times a little more.
I've already done a video but the level of development is already beyond. in the next few days I will publish another one if you also allow here.
What happened was an error in good faith and I have already explained it in all its parts.

As much as I want to see this game completed and sold, there is no way I can justify purchasing a copy without proof that none of artrag's code was used. If you can somehow do that then I would most likely buy a copy. If that is not possible then I will have to pass on principle.

Even if the error was in good faith, I cannot buy your game in good conscience if it uses unauthorized code from another programmer.

• Like 1