IGNORED

Atarimania Disk Images to Real Floppy's?

First off, I appreciate everyone tolerating my inexperience.

I have an SIO2SD but I would really love to run some of the games off of actual 5 1/4" floppy disks. What is the easiest process to do this?

I don't want multiple games on a disk or to have any menu system. I would love just having one game per disk and to run them just like I did back in the day.

Is there step by step instructions somewhere on how to do this?

Thanks!

Any basic sector copier that copies all sectors regardless of VTOC allocation work. (ie not DOS 2.x copy disk function) MyCopyR for example. there's ATR's of disks full of copy programs in previous threads if you search, I don't have a link handy at the moment.

Connect the real drive and SIO2SD simultaneously in daisy chain to the Atari with unique Drive # assignments. Ie sio2sd as drive 1, 1050 as drive 2. Then copy from drive 1 to 2, with SIO2PC set with a downloaded ATR image.

Thanks for the replies.

I was able to figure it out and now have bootable disks! Sweet!

One thing though....

A couple of the games that I have put on to disk - When booting up they display "SIO2SD LOADER.XEX" followed by the image name "filename.xex"

Is this unavoidable? Not really a big deal, just curious.

• Like 1

The message is displayed by the software that you boot from the disk, so you would have to modify the software to remove it.

It appears that those bootable disks were prepared with a tool that creates the disk using a binary load file (.xex) as input.

Such tools writes the binary load file to the disk together with a small bootloader (the bootloader displays the message and loads the binary load file).

• Like 1

The message is displayed by the software that you boot from the disk, so you would have to modify the software to remove it.

It appears that those bootable disks were prepared with a tool that creates the disk using a binary load file (.xex) as input.

Such tools writes the binary load file to the disk together with a small bootloader (the bootloader displays the message and loads the binary load file).

Thanks, Baktra. Makes sense.