Austin

"GameStop Enters Sellout Talks"

Wow...I've always had pretty good experience in a GameStop when I've actually gone to shop there in the past. I don't do it often as most of my modern games come from the larger stores. But on several occasions, I've ordered stuff from them because they were the only place offering a game in physical form at that time. In fact I'm waiting on that email or phone call from them soon to tell me my copy of Metal Wolf Chaos for the PS4 is ready for pickup. If they could stick with getting more exclusive games to only be released through them, it would help. As for retro, I thought they were already dabbling in this now? Now that I see any retro games in the GS stores in my area, but online right? The only way to make room for a decent selection of retro stuff in their current stores, would be to reduce pretty much all the ThinkGeek stuff and other useless stuff that isn't actual a video game off their shelves. Even then, they wouldn't have the selection that dedicated retro shops in my town carry and naturally their pricing wouldn't likely be as friendly or rather competitive either.

But yeah, I've had good experience. There have been a few times when I went in there and they just grab the empty case shell I pulled off the rack and put the disc in, but then there have been other times when I've handed the opened game case off the shelf, and the guy at the counter is like hold on while I get you a new one. And he comes back with a still shrink sealed never opened copy of the game. So I really think it depends on the people working the stores that are largely to blame for your experience and not so much the store image itself.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 1:20 PM, -^Cro§Bow^- said:

Wow...I've always had pretty good experience in a GameStop when I've actually gone to shop there in the past. I don't do it often as most of my modern games come from the larger stores. But on several occasions, I've ordered stuff from them because they were the only place offering a game in physical form at that time. In fact I'm waiting on that email or phone call from them soon to tell me my copy of Metal Wolf Chaos for the PS4 is ready for pickup. If they could stick with getting more exclusive games to only be released through them, it would help. As for retro, I thought they were already dabbling in this now? Now that I see any retro games in the GS stores in my area, but online right? The only way to make room for a decent selection of retro stuff in their current stores, would be to reduce pretty much all the ThinkGeek stuff and other useless stuff that isn't actual a video game off their shelves. Even then, they wouldn't have the selection that dedicated retro shops in my town carry and naturally their pricing wouldn't likely be as friendly or rather competitive either.

But yeah, I've had good experience. There have been a few times when I went in there and they just grab the empty case shell I pulled off the rack and put the disc in, but then there have been other times when I've handed the opened game case off the shelf, and the guy at the counter is like hold on while I get you a new one. And he comes back with a still shrink sealed never opened copy of the game. So I really think it depends on the people working the stores that are largely to blame for your experience and not so much the store image itself.

They only do that if it is the last copy.  Their display stock is just sitting on the shelfs, easy prey for shoplifters, but cool for gamers who want to read the back of the box.  Otherwise they would have to go the route of Walmart and Target and keep everything locked up.  If the last copy is all jacked up, just don't buy it or ask for a new case.  I've asked for a new case for grungy display copies several times at Gamestop and I've never had an issue.  I also do that at used mom and pop game stores as well, as they usually have a mountain of sports games in the back, with a few good cases here and there.

• Like 1