IGNORED

Wii U - 8GB or 32GB?

mmbe

If I don't plan on downloading games (just purchasing the discs) and the system doesn't require the games to be installed on the hard drive, is there any other reason to choose the 32GB system over the 8GB system?

I think you just answered your own question. 8GB should be plenty for savegames. I think the other main difference is the color of the plastic. 8GB is white, 32GB is black, if I am remembering right.

I mostly download games, and everything has fit onto a 200GB USB2 drive attached to the system, with no signs of running out of space -- especially since there aren't any new games coming!. Wii U games are pretty small.

The issue is downloadable updates/patches. Do you not plan on getting any of these? If so then an 8GB system may be fine, but keep in mind that some games require data to be installed as well, like Xenoblade Chronicles X. You pretty much need a 32GB model to get the best experience with that, or an external hard drive.

Just out of curiosity though, why consider the 8 over the 32? It almost seems to me like the 32GB models are a dime a dozen, not so much for the 8GB ones. I will admit I haven't done the research recently, but I can't imagine there being much of a price difference between the two.

Austin -- remember the age of these games. Xenoblade Chronicles is like 2GB total, so the patch can't be too big.

But yeah, everything else being equal, get the color you want.

Edit

Never mind, I'm wrong about the size. I must be thinking of the 3DS download.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_Chronicles/comments/7iaev1/physical_vs_digital/

Yeah, X is the one I am talking about and it is massive. :)

There might be other games which require similar patching as well, but I am not sure.

Good point about the color, I suppose that is one reason to take the 8 over the 32 if that's your thing.

Just out of curiosity though, why consider the 8 over the 32? It almost seems to me like the 32GB models are a dime a dozen, not so much for the 8GB ones. I will admit I haven't done the research recently, but I can't imagine there being much of a price difference between the two.

The price difference I have seen between the 8 and the 32 is about $20.

I have one of each. I think the 8GB systems will become quite rare as time goes on.

The memory is irrelevant as you will likely have to add more regardless of which system you purchase.

I say, "your mileage may vary." I have had a 32GB model since 2012 and have been fine. Most of my system memory--asides from required downloads--consists of Virtual Console titles and save games. I don't think I would have been able to survive on 8GB, but 32GB has been enough. This is speaking strictly from playing retail games off physical discs, many of which have updates and patches. Once you start downloading full retail games you will run into problems quickly, but the OP isn't looking to do that.

If you want to play Breath of the Wild (and you're nuts if you don't), it does install a good chunk of the game to the internal storage. This is mandatory.

If you like Mario Kart, you'd really be missing out if you didn't get the DLC for MK8, as it doubles the game content.

New Super Mario Bros. U has the Super Luigi DLC, but they also sell a combo disc that has it already included.

Many other games have downloadable updates, but I couldn't tell you how much you'd be missing if you skipped them.

While they aren't huge downloads, there are also free downloads like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, though I suppose most people already have these available on tons of other devices. I like them best on the WiiU, because (aside from Hulu) you can use the touch screen keyboard for searches. There's also a YouTube download, but I prefer to use the integrated web browser for that.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I'm not really sure I even want/need a Wii U. Lately I have been bouncing between getting a Wii U or a PS Vita. The Vita seems to be the current front runner.

If an 8GB unit basically fell into your lap, don't turn it down. Like others have said, go light on the download games, get some external storage, you'll be fine. When you have the option to expand storage via USB, the base storage doesn't matter that much.

But yeah, if you have equal access to both units, go for the larger one.

• 3 weeks later...

I just use a 32 GB USB memory stick. Works well to expand my space with the less important things moved over to it.

The only annoyance is that everything defaults to installing to external storage. So if I buy something that I want to survive the life of the system rather than the hopefully more fragile external memory, I have to manually move it over to the internal storage.

It's a minor quibble, but I'd rather the system OS would just ask me which storage device I wanted it installed to.

Edited by Atariboy

I recently purchased a White 32gb console. Its a refurb that you could purchase directly from Nintendo. I haven't purchased any additional storage options. I like most of my games in the physical format. Most of the eshop titles I've purchased are for the SNES and GBA, so I dont see myself ever running out of room.