IGNORED

Opcode IntelliExpander / Coleco SGM

Intellivision has always been my fav system compared to 2600/7800 & Colecovision. Had it since I was a kid. The original games are fantastic. These days, being a collector/gamer is these original systems is a wonderful thing. So many releases and great games still coming out. I stick to the atari 2600/7800, colecovision, and Intellivision for my collection. We all now we can blow lots of $$$ on these games. All well worth it.

D2K Arcade, Ms Nightstalker, Super Pro Baseball, Space Raid, Moon Patrol, Super Chef Burgertime...all amazing games. Classic remakes are out...Laser Sharks, Missile Domination, Astro Invader, Meteors, Jawcrusher. A great time to be an Intellivision fan.

What is the future of Intellivision Homebrews? Will they fade with the new Intellivision Entertainment system coming out? I am concerned the new Intellivision might have simplistic games? I enjoy quality games....Im sure we all do. How many times did you purchase a stinker and think what a waste? Sorry Desert Bus.

With my collection growing....I just added a Colecovision SGM module to my collection (+ F18 and Edladdin Controller). WOW! These games are unreal. A perfect system. Loving Wizard of Wor, Galaga, Battle of Hoth, Light Grid Racing, and Super Zaxxon. I was concerned that these "pumped" up games would not have the same feel as the originals. Was I wrong. I need to add more SGM games to my collection!

This make me want the IntelliExpander even more. Hoping Opcode gets rolling on this...Castlevania looks decent. But we would all like games of our era in higher quality for the Intellivision....Galaga, Wizard of Wor, etc... Any release date yet for the Expander?

What is the future of Intellivision Homebrews? Will they fade with the new Intellivision Entertainment system coming out? I am concerned the new Intellivision might have simplistic games? I enjoy quality games....Im sure we all do. How many times did you purchase a stinker and think what a waste? Sorry Desert Bus.

I guess the future is the same as always has been: we'll continue fostering the home-brew community and inviting newcomers from other platforms to join in. IntyBASIC makes programming games for Intellivision simple and better than ever, and some veteran programmers have even said that it's the most fun platform they've encountered yet.

I doubt that the new Intellivision Entertainment system would have any impact on that. What it could do is offer a platform for programmers to release their games (if they adhere to whatever legal and quality standards they demand), but I see its legacy feature as mostly co-existing with the regular consoles and emulators in terms of home-brew distribution.

At the end of the day, most home-brewers are in it for the thrill of making games and the fun of an interesting challenge. As long as there is interest, I do not see that changing.

-dZ.

Loving Wizard of Wor, Galaga, Battle of Hoth, Light Grid Racing, and Super Zaxxon. I was concerned that these "pumped" up games would not have the same feel as the originals. Was I wrong. I need to add more SGM games to my collection!

Battle of Hoth does not need SGM at all.

Edited by youki

The sgm add-on from opcode, adds ram to coleco vision as well as a sound chip with Intellivision quality sound. Games written for sgm are still coleco vision games. The sound chip helps with porting code of old msx computer games.

With Intellivision, homebrewers can add ram on the cartridge, no need for an expansion module. The old ECS add-on doubles the sound output for homebrewers that want that. Intellixpander will be a completely different computer and platform for new games.

Ok, I guess we have to talk...

Right now retro gaming is hot, and that is making trademark holders look at us with great $ interest. Last year we had many unfortunate dealings with the Coleco trademark hold, basically a trademark troll. We now got to the point where we can no longer use even the ColecoVision logo anymore. Very stressful situation, drained most of my energy and passion for the system. That isn't the only stressful situation though, unfortunately the ColecoVision scene is now somehow hostile. A couple of years ago we announced a new CV compatible console, now we have like 3 or 4 groups working on CV compatible consoles. After that I considered moving to the INTV scene, but then just a while ago we got news of the new INTV trademark owners planning a new console. I have decided not to go through a possible race against them, for something that is very niche to start with.

That said, we have suspended development of any new hardware for any existing retro gaming platform and concentrate on our own platform going forward. That is what Project Pegasus is, a new 8-bit console from Opcode.

So yeah, we will be attending RWX and PRGE this year, and we will be demoing Pegasus (temporary codename, will change) with 2 or 3 games. It might be a wild bet to release a new 8-bit console these days, but as long as I am having fun and not headaches, I am all for it. Hopefully I can find a large enough group of people that shares the same interest and help me finance Pegasus next year.

Ed

• Like 4

Sad to hear this.

In the end it is all about names and trademarks. There is very little left of the soul of any of those big names, they are mostly just names now. So if you think it is cool to get a modern console with the Atari or Intellivision or whatever name attached to it, fine. Personally I consider the work of some here more official, as they kept those machines alive for the past few decades, while there wasn't any real money to be made from retro gaming. I know I am going old school, no fucking internet connection, SD cards, HDMI or whatever. I have my PC for that.

• Like 1

Ok, I guess we have to talk...

Right now retro gaming is hot, and that is making trademark holders look at us with great $ interest. Last year we had many unfortunate dealings with the Coleco trademark hold, basically a trademark troll. We now got to the point where we can no longer use even the ColecoVision logo anymore. Very stressful situation, drained most of my energy and passion for the system. That isn't the only stressful situation though, unfortunately the ColecoVision scene is now somehow hostile. A couple of years ago we announced a new CV compatible console, now we have like 3 or 4 groups working on CV compatible consoles. After that I considered moving to the INTV scene, but then just a while ago we got news of the new INTV trademark owners planning a new console. I have decided not to go through a possible race against them, for something that is very niche to start with.

That said, we have suspended development of any new hardware for any existing retro gaming platform and concentrate on our own platform going forward. That is what Project Pegasus is, a new 8-bit console from Opcode.

So yeah, we will be attending RWX and PRGE this year, and we will be demoing Pegasus (temporary codename, will change) with 2 or 3 games. It might be a wild bet to release a new 8-bit console these days, but as long as I am having fun and not headaches, I am all for it. Hopefully I can find a large enough group of people that shares the same interest and help me finance Pegasus next year.

Ed

As much as I wanted to see the Intellxpander released as well as the games to go along with it, I understand your situation. I look forward to seeing what Pegasus has to offer.

• Like 1

Does an Intellivision expansion unit have to have Intellivision in its name though, if that is what the trademark mostly covers? Would the trademark cover everything that starts with Intelli?

I haven't followed the discussion about the new console from Intellivision Entertainment beyond it won't take cartridges, it won't take SD cards and it is aimed for 10 year olds so no violence or mature content. Perhaps they have identified an new niche on the market, though I don't know if the existing 30+++ year old Intellivision users neccessarily belong to that niche. Thus I would imagine development and release of new Intellivision homebrews would not be impacted by the new console, unless of course they pose a similar C&D as the Coleco people about not using any parts of the name or trademark, which I suppose is as far as they are legally capable of going. If anything, they should take notice of how the people who still care about the ColecoVision feel about those who now have the rights to the brand, or for that matter how the people who still care about any Atari product feel about those who now have the rights to that brand (hint: most people are very negative about the Frenchies, usually for very good reasons).

To Opcode: I suppose you know that Pegasus was a Polish made Famiclone, and that is why you want a different name for your console so nobody under any conditions should be able to mix up your system with a lowly and obviously unlicensed Famiclone? Too bad, because otherwise I think that is a fairly good name for a viideo game console.

When it comes to violating trademarks and trade dress it's about creating confusion in the market. Does your product naming/packaging give the impression that it's somebody else's. As far as I know Intellivision Productions has never complained about anyone here violating their properties, so far.

No doubt, the guys here have done wonderfull things with these old systems. Some have found it necessary to use the old trademarks, others don't. Some have created their own branding like third party publishers did back in the early 1980s; and in some cases gotten permission to use others' properties.

---------

I heard the new Intellivision is aimed for senior citizens.

To Opcode: I suppose you know that Pegasus was a Polish made Famiclone, and that is why you want a different name for your console so nobody under any conditions should be able to mix up your system with a lowly and obviously unlicensed Famiclone? Too bad, because otherwise I think that is a fairly good name for a viideo game console.

Pegasus is just a codename. Final name to be revealed during RWX and PRGE. We basically got the best and more advanced features we had in Prometheus and IntelliXpander and moved them to Pegasus. And removed all the backward compatibility stuff.

• Like 1

Pegasus is just a codename. Final name to be revealed during RWX and PRGE. We basically got the best and more advanced features we had in Prometheus and IntelliXpander and moved them to Pegasus. And removed all the backward compatibility stuff.

I have been a fan of the products that you have made for years and will be buying the new opcode system. Going by your last sentence, is the new system not going to be able to play colecovision games anymore like Prometheus was going to?

I have been a fan of the products that you have made for years and will be buying the new opcode system. Going by your last sentence, is the new system not going to be able to play colecovision games anymore like Prometheus was going to?

Not anymore. Prometheus may release one day, but with the advanced stuff removed. Too many CV compatible consoles in the work, hostile trademark owner, all of that was draining my energy and passion for the past couple of years.

By focusing on something that has no conflict with third parties I hope to be able to enjoy the hobby again.

It doesn’t mean I am not releasing any more CV games though, as we will soon have some new stuff out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Not anymore. Prometheus may release one day, but with the advanced stuff removed. Too many CV compatible consoles in the work, hostile trademark owner, all of that was draining my energy and passion for the past couple of years.

By focusing on something that has no conflict with third parties I hope to be able to enjoy the hobby again.

It doesn’t mean I am not releasing any more CV games though, as we will soon have some new stuff out.

I'm looking forward to your new system and new games for CV. Thanks again for everything that you do for the community!

• Like 1

I look forward to a new system by Opcode! Maybe it will even have an expansion slot for games from the 2 "hostile console companies"... ;)

Troy

Actually 1 hostile trademark troll. But we are justing acting preemptively here regarding other trademark owners.

I have some news I would love to share, but I will keep tight-lipped until RWX. ;)