IGNORED

is there a non-greedy person selling the atari 2600 for it's actual price?

memelord

i'm looking for an atari 2600 online, but i can't find anything for under 100 or 1000 dollars! are people really that greedy? is it a joke? they might as well not sell it! no one is going to pay more than 30-35$ for an atari 2600! (that's what it's actually worth) seriously! why is everything so overpriced when it comes to cheap consoles? can anyone please post me a link to where i can buy an atari 2600 forit's retail value ($15-$35) and can ship to canada, the land of beavers, hockey, and maple syrup?

please. i'm desperate to play some star raiders.

I would start locally ... maybe put up a "Wanted" post, too

https://geo.craigslist.org/iso/ca

• Like 1

Another place to get great deals are conventions, particularly towards the end when the vendors just want to leave and not pack up anything they don't have to. I've seen Ataris sell for old-school prices a few times the last few years by vendors who wanted to clear their table before leaving. PRGE/Cowlitz Gamers For Kids/SRGE/NWCGE Swap Meet in the Pac NW are all great locations to get a good deal. I'm sure it's no different back east.

• Like 1

Another place to get great deals are conventions, particularly towards the end when the vendors just want to leave and not pack up anything they don't have to. I've seen Ataris sell for old-school prices a few times the last few years by vendors who wanted to clear their table before leaving. PRGE/Cowlitz Gamers For Kids/SRGE/NWCGE Swap Meet in the Pac NW are all great locations to get a good deal. I'm sure it's no different back east.

Slightly O/T, but are there any such events held in Canada?

I've heard of a few swap meets being held in various places Southern Ontario, and there was a one-off arcade game show here in Calgary several years ago.

Cross-border shopping is not appealing, given the ~35% exchange rate, and the fees levied by Customs upon the return to Canada.

Edited by jhd

i'm looking for an atari 2600 online, but i can't find anything for under 100 or 1000 dollars! are people really that greedy? is it a joke? they might as well not sell it! no one is going to pay more than 30-35$ for an atari 2600! (that's what it's actually worth) seriously! why is everything so overpriced when it comes to cheap consoles? can anyone please post me a link to where i can buy an atari 2600 forit's retail value ($15-$35) and can ship to canada, the land of beavers, hockey, and maple syrup?

please. i'm desperate to play some star raiders.

Are you on FB, if so I might be able to help, depending on your needs for Atari goodness

I've heard of a few swap meets being held in various places Southern Ontario, and there was a one-off arcade game show here in Calgary several years ago.

Cross-border shopping is not appealing, given the ~35% exchange rate, and the fees levied by Customs upon the return to Canada.

There is a great one in Vancouver CAN in early summer

Edited by Lord Thag
  • Like 2

If I'm remembering correctly, I picked up my 7800 plus cartridges and controllers a bit before that for around the same price, this time from a surplus / obsolete electronics retailer (the now sadly-departed Weird Stuff Warehouse, for anyone else who may remember them).

Aw, man...that sucks. Weirdstuff was always one of our stops when we were in town for California Extreme. Never knew what kind of random crap you'd find in there.

• Like 2

Many years ago I used to go to annual and bi-annual events held in Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal. There where a lot more of these events 10 to 15 years ago than there is now unfortunately :(

Why do threads like this usually devolve to people measuring dicks, lol. "I got a CIB system for ten bucks!" "I got mine 5 bycks plus ten games!" "Somebody gave me their entire collection for free and threw in a four slice toaster!!"

I fail to see how little you paid for a system has anything to do with anything, let alone this thread.

If the OP is asking if there are people selling them for less than $100 then how is it not relevant to provide examples of getting it for less than $100?

• Like 2

3,000 milles drive to save 35% tax... I'll keep at it on FB and ebay...

I'm sure there are tons more, I only know about that one because I live about 3 hours from the border. Do some research. You will save tons of money buying at a convention or swap meet over ebay.

I'm sure there are tons more, I only know about that one because I live about 3 hours from the border. Do some research. You will save tons of money buying at a convention or swap meet over ebay.

I was kidding. I live about 15 minutes from the US border but since 9/11 crossing the border is a royal pain. I miss the good old day when we didn't need a passport to go visit our neighbor to the south.

I was kidding. I live about 15 minutes from the US border but since 9/11 crossing the border is a royal pain. I miss the good old day when we didn't need a passport to go visit our neighbor to the south.

Oh, got it.

And yes, it used to be a breeze. Shame.

you brings up an interesting point. if someone from say sw canada wants to attend say prge in oregon as a vendor, and pass through customs twice, do they pay import duty twice on the loot that didnt sell? because that would suck. my church did a mission trip to mexico and had to pay import duty on donated clothing and toiletries. this unplanned expense was not part of the trip budget.

you brings up an interesting point. if someone from say SW Canada wants to attend say prge in Oregon as a vendor, and pass through customs twice, do they pay import duty twice on the loot that didn't sell? because that would suck. my church did a mission trip to mexico and had to pay import duty on donated clothing and toiletries. this unplanned expense was not part of the trip budget.

Given the distance involved, I seriously doubt that someone from London, Ontario would make the ~5,000 mile round-trip to Portland, Oregon just to sell some video games. :grin:

I have never imported goods (into either country) for resale, just my own personal use. I doubt that Canada customs would charge duty on a Canadian returning with unsold merchandise, but it would be necessary to somehow document where the goods originated. Many years ago, I had to do this with some expensive camera equipment that I was travelling with -- it was inspected and formally documented by Customs before I left Canada so that I could prove I did not purchase it in the US.

I understand that US customs charges a license fee for any sort of commercial importation of merchandise; duty, if applicable, would be additional to that.

• Like 1

Given the distance involved, I seriously doubt that someone from London, Ontario would make the ~5,000 mile round-trip to Portland, Oregon just to sell some video games. :grin:

I have never imported goods (into either country) for resale, just my own personal use. I doubt that Canada customs would charge duty on a Canadian returning with unsold merchandise, but it would be necessary to somehow document where the goods originated. Many years ago, I had to do this with some expensive camera equipment that I was travelling with -- it was inspected and formally documented by Customs before I left Canada so that I could prove I did not purchase it in the US.

I understand that US customs charges a license fee for any sort of commercial importation of merchandise; duty, if applicable, would be additional to that.

Not only that, but you'd have to also get some form of tax documentation if you intend to do commerce. Of course you could always ship the unsold items back to you from the US. Only about one package in 20 that I receive from the US is ever taxed by customs.

• Like 1

I figured I over paid last year spending $100 on 2600A last year. I think now it was a fair price, because it was in absolutely pristine condition. It was a craigslist purchase, so no shipping & handling. The owner said he used it 3 or 4 times total and sat in storage since the 1980's. It came with a pristine copy of Combat and Pac-Man with manuals. No box unfortunately. I asked. Everything is spotless: manuals, carts, console, controllers, and power supply. The paddles move as smooth as silk. There's not a single spot, scratch, or blemish on any of it. It looks brand new, so I keep it wrapped up in plastic. I also have the original purchase receipt.

It's my favorite. I won't ever sell it.

• Like 1

I was thinking Vancouver to Portland, round trip. 508km one way, around 315 miles.

sorted by distance, and the Calgary and Edmonton ones aren't quite "retro gaming":

Calgary Expo

Edmonton Pinball and Arcade Expo

Vancouver Gaming Expo

Seattle Retro Gaming Expo

Portland Retro Gaming Expo

• Like 1