IGNORED

1088XLD - Custom A8 Computer in 1050 Drive Case

mytek

3 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

This 1088XLD System Mod is now available at The Brewing Academy.

If after this post and the facebook post and the tweet from the twitters, then perhaps this reminder will get you excited:

As part of the Black Friday/Cyber Monday push:  All purchases over $500 are 20% OFF at The Brewing Academy!  You could order a completely built 1088XLD with the I/O ModSystem for only $740! That's a $185 savings! Plus, free shipping anywhere on the planet!

"My God, it's full of stars!"

14 minutes ago, mytek said:

Can we please see a picture or two showing the complete system with front and back custom panels fitted and case modifications required?

There are some pictures of the boards fitted to the machine on the website.  I will get the rest up asap.  However, I am not sure about posting the modifications to the case as it is only being sold pre-installed.  The rationale being that retro-fitting it to an existing XLD would be . . . daunting.

However, comments are always welcome.

14 minutes ago, MacRorie said:

There are some pictures of the boards fitted to the machine on the website.

None of those pictures really show the system complete with the custom Front Panel Express panels fitted that accommodate this new I/O Mod system.

27 minutes ago, MacRorie said:

I will get the rest up asap.

Thanks, I look forward to it :) .

29 minutes ago, MacRorie said:

However, I am not sure about posting the modifications to the case as it is only being sold pre-installed.  The rationale being that retro-fitting it to an existing XLD would be . . . daunting.

Understandable.  But I'm sure people would be curious to see how the case has been modified to allow pass-thru of the new connectors and WiFi antenna on the back. Presently the pictures that have been posted on your website don't reveal any of these details. Not saying that specific instructions on how to modify the back of the case need to be provided, but it would be great to see a complete assembled version with all the pieces in place, that has already had its case modified.

• 1 month later...

A new Zipped folder containing the JOY2PIC AutoLoad 'Flash-All' ATR, the individual JOY2PIC XEX Flashers, and the Individual HEX files for 3rd party programmers is now available on the AtariBits website for the 1088XLD. Here's a direct download link: https://ataribits.weebly.com/uploads/5/8/8/6/58865739/xldflash.zip

No changes were made in the 'Flash-All' ATR, other then including both versions of the TK-II-OS firmware (V2.4 and V2.5J). So if you used the original ATR to flash your PIC chips on the XLD with the JOY2PIC, you're still good.

BTW, the V-Gate firmware for the XLD is targeting a PIC12F1572, whereas the XEL was using a PIC12F1571. The firmware is specific to the chip number, and can not be swapped. However if a person would rather use a PIC12F1572 in their XEL, there is no difference electrically speaking.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Announcement

Thanks to Dropcheck, there is now a complete BOM for the standard 1088XLD board set posted at my website in the 1088XLD page. She initially put this together back when the project was still in its beta phase, and refined it to arrive at the version now being posted. I also uploaded the FPD (Front Panel Designer) file for the standard front panel as well, which allows a panel to be made at Front Panel Express after downloading their designer application (runs on: Windows, MAC OS, and Linux). Using the FPD application, you can modify the text and graphics you wish to be displayed, as well as the material and color. Please keep in mind that there are strict limits as to how far any graphics can spill over into the surrounding space due to the 1050 drive bezel's inside cut-out. So it's best to print it out at 1:1 scale to verify with the bezel in place.

A bare board set is available from: The Brewing Academy at a very reasonable price, as well as a completely built systems.

Link: 1088XLD Page at AtariBits.com

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Annoucement

I've appended some layout drawings for the PCB to the new upload of the 1088XLD schematics on my website (integrated schematics+drawing download).

1088XLD_MAIN_layout.thumb.png.6f7f04a359e0195b93b83b9b367f55b9.png

Just the drawings: 1088XLD_layout.pdf

These are done in an x-ray view, so that you can see both the top and bottom traces for easier troubleshooting (works best with the main board which has non-visible inner power planes). And of course the part ID numbers are done in a bold black to help in locating parts when assembling. Due to the vector format being retained when converted to PDF it can be blown up quite large when viewed on screen, or perhaps printed in a poster format and pinned to the wall to aid in board assembly.

light pink = top layer

light blue (purple?) = bottom layer

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mytek said:

Annoucement

I've appended some layout drawings for the PCB to the new upload of the 1088XLD schematics on my website (integrated schematics+drawing download).

1088XLD_MAIN_layout.thumb.png.6f7f04a359e0195b93b83b9b367f55b9.png

Just the drawings: 1088XLD_layout.pdf

These are done in an x-ray view, so that you can see both the top and bottom traces for easier troubleshooting (works best with the main board which has non-visible inner power planes). And of course the part ID numbers are done in a bold black to help in locating parts when assembling. Due to the vector format being retained when converted to PDF it can be blown up quite large when viewed on screen, or perhaps printed in a poster format and pinned to the wall to aid in board assembly.

light pink = top layer

light blue (purple?) = bottom layer

Ooh - that would make a pretty sweet poster for VCF :)

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Ooh - that would make a pretty sweet poster for VCF :)

Let me experiment with darkening up the traces before you make a poster. I think it'll look a bit cooler like that.

I kept it light so as not to obscure the component ID information too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

If you're in this thread, I have possibly liked or thanked you multiple times.  You see for years I've dropped in to look at the 8 bit scene.  I was very excited to see the XLE as it was happening.  It was not for me, not in the cards.  Let me say I'm an experienced builder/maker/inventor.  I have experience for the past 50 years.  I have a 40 year background in doing support.  Maybe more background later.  I've been in more than 1 maker space sharing something built where my soldering and build choices were admired as "the Next level".  So I have the chops to build this thing.  From the moment I first saw the XLD I new it was the Holly Grail for me.

I have a ridiculous collection of computers.  But My first useful computer was the 800XL.  I still have it and it is running after 35 years of storage.

Much of this post is going to be about The Brewing Academy.  I Basically pulled out one of my 8 Bits back around Thanks Giving(US) last year.  When I looked at the technology and changes available, my head was spinning trying to understand it.  I bought some new bits and started experimenting.  I was also working on recovering some of my old work from floppies.  

I then moved on to having a U1mb and Sophia Rev C 4:3 installed on a XEGS.  This was done by The Brewing Academy.  And done well, to my specifications.

I want to thank every one in this thread for their part.  Special thanks to @MacRorie, @mytek & @Dropcheck  I have spent the last 48 hours reading this entire thread.  I have Commissioned a 1088XLD from The Brewing Academy with the Dropcheck I/O Mod with a Sophia Rev C 16:9 & VBXE.

The Cart Port for me was the driving point, without it I'd not do the XLD, It's just my own focus.  I basically looked at the 1088XLD late last year and missed the boat on Black Friday.  I lingered on that point and had the XEGS upgrade done to get a feel for what the U1mb upgrade was about.

I kept telling my Wife I wanted to move on getting a 1088XLD.  To her it like the Peanuts cartoon teacher "want , waw- waw, daw , wawa" - She hears, "I want, it makes me happy".  She is like "whatever, if it makes you happy why are you waiting?" 

So I took the plunge.  I was in the area, this was a week ago, before all the Covid 19 information was out, I stopped and met with @MacRorie

His operation is bigger than the Website leads one to believe.  I can not say again how "Top Notch" his work is.  I'm thankful for what he does.

So I have written about my ability to do this, why have someone else do the work?

Simple, if this is all I was doing no problem.  But at the end of a long day of work, I'm tired, fatigued and frankly know I would make simple mistakes.  I have built my fair share of PCs, some by hand.  I have had the thrill of booting my own creation.  I want to just use my 1088LXD and I'm grateful for @MacRorie offering the option to make it.  His Expert advice has the XEVB added so I can use a JVC ST SC1224 monitor to run @flashjazzcat Last Word in all its 80 column glory.  Thank you for the fantastic 1088xld firmware as well FJC. 

Now a right turn, My father was involved in Aerospace fasteners.  Fasteners don't work the way most folks think of them, they are called fastening systems.  This is because several things are working together, concentrating too much on one thing means you are missing all the others.  I will not go into too much detail but most often the are function in a way I call "Pinning", while most think of "pulling".  in a way my UK friend might put it - "Don't fuss about how it works, just get on with using it."

I'm so looking forward to using my 1088XLD.  Thank you @mytek for your work, it is obviously a labor of love.  I appreciate the community for being here.  I can not say how much it all means to me, especially in these strange times.

Thank you All!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bee said:

I just bought a Vintage Atari SMM804 Dot Matrix Printer for the printer port on my 1088XLD, So now I can have one printer loaded with plain paper and the other with Green Bar ?

Thank you

FYI, that requires an 850, P:R: Connection or equivalent.

7 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

FYI, that requires an 850, P:R: Connection or equivalent.

Actually, he is getting the I/O ModSystem by DropCheck installed in his 1088XLD, so it does not require any additional hardware.  A DB25 industry standard centronics capable port is built in.  That is, of course, along with a WiFi serial port and an external cartridge port!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MacRorie said:

Actually, he is getting the I/O ModSystem by DropCheck installed in his 1088XLD, so it does not require any additional hardware.  A DB25 industry standard centronics capable port is built in.  That is, of course, along with a WiFi serial port and an external cartridge port!

That's Awesome!

Kind of afraid to ask, but can you PM me the total cost if you don't want to say it here? I'm gonna have to save up for a long time, but I just love this machine.

:)

• Like 1

So let's dive into my history with Atari A8's.  When I was young we wet to an electronics store "The Federated Group" in West Los Angles.

There on display on a wide oak desk, was an Aarti 800, an Atari 400 and a 810 Disk Drive,  I think the 800 and 810 were about $1400.00 in a "package deal."  We had no means to own anything of this type but we could go to the store and play for two or three hours at a time, a bunch of cart games were there, Pac man, Galaxian, Star Raiders and so on.  Within a few years I had the first money in my life and was able to buy an 800XL and 1050 Floppy Drive.  I soon was consulting with business professionals on using the Atari in their businesses.  When Atari bought the Federated Group to have a retail out let to sell the ATARI ST, guess where I ended up working as an "Atari Expert" managing the computer department.

One day "the desk" went on sale.  They were getting rid of it.  It had a bottom paper storage shelf, two cutouts for fan-fold paper to feed through the top and a shelf for printers.  That desk is sitting in my living room waiting for the printers to be setup 35 years later.  This is really taking a trip back to those glory days, in a Cadillac that I call an "Atari Bespoke" computer.  It's worth every penny.

@Kyle22 I'll PM you.

Thank You

• Like 3

Following up on a question above from @Kyle22

I took it to PM and made it known I'd summarize here.  On the 1088XLD,  I have 2 $100+ video solutions and a $150 I/O upgrade on top of the Standard 1088XLD.  It's not that I have a problem with anyone knowing what I spent. It's that I think you should reach out to The Brewing Academy with what your needs are and get the price of what you want.  I refer to mine as the Full Monty. What you choose will alter the bottom line.  My choices are very specific.  Marlin is very reasonable with his cost.  I look at it as having a handmade suite made just the way you want.  In this case it's an Atari 8 bit computer handmade from the ground up.  I'm not getting any younger.  I've hand built and booted computers in the past.  This is my time to enjoy life as much as I can.  The sooner I have it, the sooner I can get back to playing in my time off.  If I were to build this myself it would likely be a year of fiddling.  A year of not playing.  I want to express the value of having someone experienced with the build, building this for you.  I want to give you one other thought , how much would you sell "all of your free time for a year" for?  I recommend The Brewing Academy for any Atari work you don't want to do yourself.  This is my second order for work from The Brewing Academy,  we are not family members.  I just genuinely appreciate getting good work for a fair price.

more later

Thank you

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jamm said:

Has anyone tried modifying an 810 case to support this installation?  It seems feasible, since the 810 is larger in every dimension than the 1050...

The footprint of the motherboard is engineered to fit exactly in a 1050 case from the placement of board supports to the power/ac ports.  Could you *put* it in an 810 case?  Probably. 

Just now, MacRorie said:

The footprint of the motherboard is engineered to fit exactly in a 1050 case from the placement of board supports to the power/ac ports.  Could you *put* it in an 810 case?  Probably.  Would it look good? I mean, even Frankenstein’s monster found a spouse . . . .

Well, I'm not saying you wouldn't have to modify the 810 to make its insides compatible, but if I'm going to make a really expensive classic 8bit computer, I kinda want the classic classic...

• 3 weeks later...