IGNORED

I just bought a 800XL...

DavidMil

I just bought a "Brand New, Never Opened, Never Used, Still in the Original Shrink Wrap, 800XL" on ebay. Because the seller didn't want to 'break the seal' it was

being sold as is with no warranty expressed or implied (and the seller doesn't take returns). For $79.00, I figured what the heck... No one else even bid on it

(imagine that!). Anyway, when it arrived I was surprised that the box was in such good condition. But when I opened it I discovered that the RF cable and the switch

box were missing. Other than that, the computer powers up very nicely, passes self test, and most of the keys work fine. Does anyone think that if I complain to Atari,

they will send the missing items? After all it is 'Brand New". Also, if I drill a hole in the back for a second audio output, does anyone think that this will void the warranty?

You gotta' love ebay...

DavidMil

• Like 7

there's a 130XE I saw on ebay earlier this morning.. "UNTESTED" $109 (Canadian). Sheesh, If it worked that's a decent deal. Untested? I run a good chance of it being dead with at least $50 in parts to repair and time.. Could be an ingot victim, bad RAM etc.... Tempted to lowball... At least I don't see seller listing an ingot in a separate listing :)

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/273370141056

Untested = known not working.

I don't think that this is necessarily true. I've looked through bunches of A8 listings recently and think that there are honestly a lot of people who just don't understand how to hook up old electronics to modern equipment. Thus, you get a lot of "it powers on but I cannot test it further than this" type of descriptions.

I don't think that this is necessarily true. I've looked through bunches of A8 listings recently and think that there are honestly a lot of people who just don't understand how to hook up old electronics to modern equipment. Thus, you get a lot of "it powers on but I cannot test it further than this" type of descriptions.

Good grief. Prices are going nuts. 14 months ago I bought a bare 800XL (no PSU) for $55 plus about $12 for shipping.

• Like 2

Good grief. Prices are going nuts. 14 months ago I bought a bare 800XL (no PSU) for $55 plus about $12 for shipping.

You can still find decent enough prices if you are patient enough. I got that boxed minty 800XL that I was talking about for $93 including shipping.

It says Atari therefore it must be priced as if it were the first one ever produced..... signed by it's creators... and layered in gold.... that is until they get tired of it not selling then it will be sold for anywhere from 39.98 to 99.98..... you may have to play 'let's make a deal' and actually talk with seller or wait it out.. possibly both...

• Like 1

Do you have a link to the completed auction page? I have been watching 800XLs for a couple months now and wonder which one you got.

I don't know how to get a link to the page and put it here (I can't paste from the clipboard to this site), but I can give you the auction listing number?

David

I don't know how to get a link to the page and put it here (I can't paste from the clipboard to this site), but I can give you the auction listing number?

David

Just bring up the original listing on eBay, copy the link from the address bar, and paste in here.

You sure it wasn't a re-seal by either that seller or a previous one? While crazier things have happened, no manual or those parts you referenced is quite surprising, if indeed it is "brand new..."

I got both my working 130XE and 1050 as untested. I just make sure that I get them cheap enough to make it worth while. My 800XL just had a bad power supply and my 600XL I was able to repair the keyboard. Good deals and I enjoyed learning how to fix them with a lot of help from this forum. I am amused sometimes when the listing is for the computer, PSU, and cables but listed as unable to test. Are these sellers really that clueless and/or lazy. A few minutes to hook up and show a picture of it working would probably double the price.

I can give you the auction listing number?

That works. I use metapad which is a better notepad,

and links in it will launch the browser with that

address active. Can't copy clipboard issue might be

an issue where by the time you ready to do that some

form of data other than the link is occupying the

clipboard such as a picture? Only you can hammer it

out though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/

Prefix item number with that text and go.

It should be assumed but if you know how to fix these it can be worthwhile.

At least half I've picked up were fully working. The others were a quick fix ( partially working.. bad ram or some other component ) except for a 65XE which was complete toast.