IGNORED

Donkey Kong Cassette on ColecoVision Adam

allthatpat

I have found some debate in the forums about whether Donkey Kong was sold on cassette. I have Donkey Kong, not Donkey Kong Junior. I got it from a guy who used to be a manager at KB Toys, so it's possible that he received it before the decision was made to not sell it on cassette... if it never did come out in stores.

There's a guy who mentioned he needed it for his collection, which prompted me to look into to try to find a fair value. I was caught off-guard that I don't see any available on eBay, and now that there's a debate that it was even sold in stores I'm not sure what to think!

Have you guys seen the cassette version of Donkey Kong around? Is it really as rare as it seems to be?

post-41189-0-31121700-1534086432_thumb.jpg

I don't know who would be debating this. Both Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. were readily available in the stores back in the 80s. I bought both at Toys R Us.

I have found some debate in the forums about whether Donkey Kong was sold on cassette. I have Donkey Kong, not Donkey Kong Junior. I got it from a guy who used to be a manager at KB Toys, so it's possible that he received it before the decision was made to not sell it on cassette... if it never did come out in stores.

There's a guy who mentioned he needed it for his collection, which prompted me to look into to try to find a fair value. I was caught off-guard that I don't see any available on eBay, and now that there's a debate that it was even sold in stores I'm not sure what to think!

Have you guys seen the cassette version of Donkey Kong around? Is it really as rare as it seems to be?

I agree that the DDP (cassette) is hard to find.

Harder to find, yes, but not totally rare or impossible. There have not been many ADAM bundles I've run across that didn't include this game. Although those ADAM bundles do seem to be fewer and farther between now, so.....

Any suggestions on the going rate for the Donkey Kong? It's always tough when there are no comparisons available on eBay. The only one I found was mislabeled as Donkey Kong Junior in the post, which went for $26. It's from my personal collection, and wasn't necessarily looking to sell them.

The guy offered $60, which seems very good for a Colecovision Adam game. But, not sure if it's truly what the game is worth.

Granted... everyone who posted seems to point to that the game isn't really quite as rare as it seemed initially. hah

Any suggestions on the going rate for the Donkey Kong? It's always tough when there are no comparisons available on eBay. The only one I found was mislabeled as Donkey Kong Junior in the post, which went for $26. It's from my personal collection, and wasn't necessarily looking to sell them.

The guy offered $60, which seems very good for a Colecovision Adam game. But, not sure if it's truly what the game is worth.

Granted... everyone who posted seems to point to that the game isn't really quite as rare as it seemed initially. hah

Just keep an eye on eBay. I probably see about a half a dozen or so pop up every year if not more. But look for lots and bundles like the one I posted above. That's where I see them most often.

• Like 1

The debate might be that Coleco was unable to release it initially because Atari had Donkey Kong rights for home computers.

You are correct that Atari initially tried to stop Coleco from releasing the ADAM Super Game version of Donkey Kong on data pack (cassette) because Atari owned the rights to the game for release on computer systems while Coleco only owned the rights to release on videogame systems. Suffice it to say that Coleco found a way around all this legal mumbo-jumbo due to the fact that the ADAM was in fact an enhanced ColecoVision.

You will notice that the Donkey Kong Junior Super Game has a copyright of 1983 while the Donkey Kong Super Game has a copyright of 1984. This was due to the delay caused by Atari questioning the legality of the DK Super Game release on the ADAM. However, I recall both games appearing in stores in the Midwest for purchase at roughly the same time.

• Like 2

However, I recall both games appearing in stores in the Midwest for purchase at roughly the same time.

My memory is exactly the same. I don't think I ever saw one on the shelf without the other. Possible, but not even gap in time that anyone would have taken notice.

Well after Warner sold all Atari Inc assets to Tramiel and got out of the home computer business in 1984, something must have happened to their Donkey Kong license that opened the door for Coleco. Atari's Nintendo license might have been non-transferable and stayed with Warner. Ocean also made another Donkey Kong for the C64 in 1986. Then later in 1988 after coleco disappeared, Tramiel's Atari Corp produced Donkey Kong for the 7800 and XE.