IGNORED

PLATOTerm for Atari - Working out tgi and ser issues.

It's a PC server emulating a supercomputer hosting TCP connections.

Not applicable. Stop thinking this is a microcomputer with a modem running a single line BBS. Line asymmetry is _VERY_ high.

You are making a very apples to oranges comparison.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

Does it have any kind of buffering on its side? I just know what I saw. Lantronix must have some kind of protocol that takes care of it. I do NOT know the details of it YET. But, as I said, I have seen it work. 9600 on my side using an 850, and 2400 on his side using MIO and Lantronix. I watched this as he showed it to me on our iPhones using FaceTime. He could hear my 800 going in and out of concurrent mode and sending status commands to check if the modem has got a new character. I don't have an RS232 tester, but all I know is we didn't drop a single character. Of course, his MIO is a PBI device, so I didn't have the pleasure of hearing any SIO sounds from his end.

icon_smile.gif

Edit I am so forgetful...

We BOTH have Lantronix devices. I think that has something to do with it.

Edited by Kyle22

I have a new build of PLATOTerm which incorporates Chris's new IRQ changes, here: http://rpi.irata.online/atari8/platoterm-20180905-newirq.atr

Can you all test it, and list your hardware configs if it doesn't work?

A note: I am trying my hardest to make a build that will work everywhere. I will keep attempting changes and making things fit until we all can reasonably run the software. I will keep making these builds so long as you all keep trying them.

There is a known issue with R-Verter devices, when letting it auto-boot, for some reason it doesn't work in my environment, can someone please test and verify?

R-Verter does work for me under SDX, but I lose the mouse. sigh. again, can someone please verify?

-Thom

• Like 1

You may wish to look at Mr. Atari's sped up R:verter driver as well. He says you get 57,600 no problem but up to 115,200 as well... not sure about about flow control on it as it didn't get a full mention in the post. Could be part of what you are looking for in the SIO/Rverter realm

• Like 1

That's actually a security issue most login managers today have again. Showing dots or asterisks is leaking information to "casual" spectators. Funny how PLATOTerm did this right BITD. Well, not exactly surprising. We're seeing fresh-out-of-school millennial "coders" making the same errors programmers made (and overcame) 25 years ago all over again. Everything old is new again.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 4

A note here, Jon (Flashjazzcat) has graciously donated a fast text output routine (written in hand crafted 6502 assembler, hipsters would nod in approval.), I'm going to fold it in as soon as I get the next Atari ST build out (should be soon, am debugging some gnarly palette management issues.... Since the ST version does color, and there are a limited # of available colors, I have to debug a method for allocating palette slots...which is still a bit buggy.but I digress..)

Thanks, Jon!

-Thom

• Like 4

Ok, so It's working now.

post-9462-0-18741300-1536620967.gif

@Flashjazzcat, need to ping you as one teeny little feature was forgotten, by default the routine does what PLATO calls "Mode Rewrite"

which plots both the foreground and background pixels, replacing them... Inverse flips this, and this is good... There is a "Mode Write" in PLATO which ignores the unset pixels.

Thanks a ton for this. I'm going to try and inline the bitmap buffer fill subroutine and gain some cycles too.

Once hardware flow control is figured out, it will scream at high baud rates.

-Thom

• Like 3