tschak909

CIO disengage Concurrent mode change RTS and subsequently engage concurrent mode to resume. the 850 might hold 1 character, and might still receive it at the Atari, not lost.... the lantronix or a well made modem should have a good buffer, so it normally can hold a chunk of data without worry. we aren't serving live movies and sound so it's not like you are going to push mega bytes at a time....

Please note that there is not even a byte-buffer in the 850. As stated, in concurrent mode, all it does is that it samples in the state of its serial input, and mirrors the data bit-by-bit on the SIO output. There is no buffering anywhere. It is as if there is a direct "pass through" in the 850, though in software, not in hardware.

I do not know the protocol of the terminal that is supposed to operate with the 850, but without any type of error recovery where the Atari can trigger re-transmission of data, I afraid there is no way how to make this reliable.

For Zmodem and the like, it would work by dropping concurrent mode after a block, clear CTS, write the block to disk, then re-enable CTS and get the next block, and if the data of the next block is corrupt, or does not fit to the expected block, trigger retransmission.

In how far the existing protocol allows a similar protocol I do not know.