IGNORED

Consoles that make owning other consoles redunant

To some extent the Analogue Super NT, NT Mini, and RetroUSB AVS make the original NES and SNES redundant.

Some may argue it loses analog output and maybe have some lingering compatibility bug, but they are high quality lag-free clones with HDMI output. If I am not mistaken they may even be more power efficient than the originals for the same task.

Likely yes simply because of new process technology inside the FPGA. I'm fairly sure that most FPGA chips in these applications are .28nm these days. But check the spec for yourself.

And software emulation sees similar efficiencies. Intel's U-series chips sip power at just under 8-watts. ULV series can get you down to 3-4 watts. You can emulate all the early consoles & micros with cycles to spare on a system that draws 10-12 watts all inclusive, RAM, HDD/SSD, CPU, and support circuitry.

And those spare cycles and be put to use like running a background music player for 80's tunes. And running OS and file management tools to enhance your vintage experience. Win-Win!

One system that seems to have escaped redundancy in this thread is the N64. No backwards compatibility on later systems and unstable emulation.

In some ways, this is a shame because an N64 without the expensive RGB/HDMI mods is the most CRT-dependant system this side of the Atari 2600. Nintendo could do a lot worse than re-release an HDMI version of the N64 console; not one of their stupid minis but the real console along with cart releases of as many games as possible. I do genuinely believe that interest in the N64 is big enough for that to be economically viable.

• Like 2

Do the consoles you pitch against eachother need to come from different generations? I.e. would using a NES with a 60-pin adapter not be enough to make a Famicom redundant, because internally they've got the same chips?

No. Id argue that an NES mini fully loaded with roms, with four save slots available per game, just about makes owning an original NES redundant.

One system that seems to have escaped redundancy in this thread is the N64. No backwards compatibility on later systems and unstable emulation.

In some ways, this is a shame because an N64 without the expensive RGB/HDMI mods is the most CRT-dependant system this side of the Atari 2600. Nintendo could do a lot worse than re-release an HDMI version of the N64 console; not one of their stupid minis but the real console along with cart releases of as many games as possible. I do genuinely believe that interest in the N64 is big enough for that to be economically viable.

These are the interesting little viewpoints that make these discussions both hilarious and confusing. No, man, just no. N64 was Nintendo's first big flop. Their personal 3D0. It had a handful of neat ideas, but it was poorly executed and rushed into production.

I take issue with every point that says 'the good games were mostly released/ported to another system'.

Quality is subjective, and some people play bad games intentionally. True redunancy requires 100% of the system's library to be reliably played on another console without issues, and without modifications.

A Genesis model 1 is required for the Power Base converter to render the Master system obsolete, as it won't fit other models.

The Xbox line does not count, as no version of Xbox is 100% compatible with another.

You missed that having a Wii U renders the Wii obsolete, as it plays Wii's full catalog & even uses its peripherals.

Some systems rendered redundant can claim new viability via the right accessories. For example, a Gamecube can have a Game Boy player. Pair that with the right games and a link cable, and you've got a reason to keep a GBA (or four). A PSOne can be rendered portable-ish with an LCD screen added on. I find that stuff a lot more interesting, really.

• Like 2

This topic is flame bait. The OP just stated that owning a Dreamcast and TG16 are unnecessary.

flame bait? interesting viewpoint...I've don't think any of the nearly 60 replies have been flammable (flame-able?)

Why are they necessary to own?

I don't own them, and I've never owned them in the past nor I have ever played on one.

The Atari 7800 might be capable of playing almost the entire 2600 library but most of the carts released by companies other than Atari don't fit in the slot!

Again that depends on the revision of the 7800 you posses. I have one of the older '84 made units and that cartridge slot works with all the 3rd party games..MINUS the Tigervision games with really long posts on them for opening the cart slot on the 2600. But if you can open the cart without damaging the label, I've been told you can turn that piece around and it will fit just fine i the 7800 and still work on the 2600 as well. Or use nail clippers like I did and cut about a CM or so off the ends of those posts will also work...hehe.

I also still have a Wii and Wii-U both connected and at the ready...why? Simple, the Wii has become my go to for playing Gamecube since I can run that via 480p easily through component and the Wii-U is for playing Wii and Wii-U titles on it.

-Having a Genesis makes owning a Master System Redundant, you can play the whole library on a Genesis with a power base converter or on an everdrive -

NOPE. can't play SMS 3D games without the card slot on the MS model 1.

You can with a Genesis model 1 and Power Base Converter.

flame bait? interesting viewpoint...I've don't think any of the nearly 60 replies have been flammable (flame-able?)

Why are they necessary to own?

I don't own them, and I've never owned them in the past nor I have ever played on one.

They're both great systems. Do yourself a favor and check them out. Especially TG16.

Fortunately no one took the bait.

They're both great systems. Do yourself a favor and check them out. Especially TG16.

Fortunately no one took the bait.

They're expensive though for what they bring. You can get both a snes and a genesis for the price of the TG-16 and games are also more costly.

They're expensive though for what they bring. You can get both a snes and a genesis for the price of the TG-16 and games are also more costly.

TG-16 is worth owning if you can afford it, but the average gamer is better off with emulation until the bubble bursts and prices go down, and they might not. Ootake is an excellent free emulator that also plays CD games.

Genesis doesn't support SMS/Mark III FM sound. Adding in a substitute isn't replacing it any more than a PC replaces everything because of emulation.

A Mark III SMS is the be-all 8-bit Sega console, as it supports the entire SMS library and plays SG-1000 games with a variant palette.

No. Id argue that an NES mini fully loaded with roms, with four save slots available per game, just about makes owning an original NES redundant.

How do you hook an NES mini to a crt?

No, man, just no. N64 was Nintendo's first big flop. Their personal 3D0. It had a handful of neat ideas, but it was poorly executed and rushed into production.

You are Soooo wrong the Nintendo 64 was/is a very good system, there is a reason it STILL has a higher demand than nes and snes systems. With games like Mario 64, Mart Kart, Zelda OOT, Mario Party 1 2 3, Smash brothers, 007, F-zero and so on. It is far from a flop. I would consider the Gamecube more of a flop personally.

You are Soooo wrong the Nintendo 64 was/is a very good system, there is a reason it STILL has a higher demand than nes and snes systems. With games like Mario 64, Mart Kart, Zelda OOT, Mario Party 1 2 3, Smash brothers, 007, F-zero and so on. It is far from a flop. I would consider the Gamecube more of a flop personally.

The N64 is a system that has become more popular over time. In retro gaming circles, it is a very popular system. It certainly doesn't bear much comparison to the 3DO because, although it was a commercial failure by Nintendo standards, it was still a very mainstream system. In 1998, you either had an N64 or a PS1. The Sega Saturn was history and the 3DO was some weird thing from the early 90s that no one knew anything about.

• Like 1