IGNORED

Saturn Flashback

TwinChargers

So how far off into the future are we from seeing something like this? There are some rumors swirling about the N64 getting a Mini release, and some buzz going about Sony possibly getting a PS1 Mini out at some point. That begs the question, will the Saturn ever get a re-release in a small compilation form? I think it would be rather nice given the fact that Saturn games are a bit tougher to come by, and there are a bunch of titles that never got a release in the US that would be cool to see get ported over.

So what is the biggest issue here? Is the system too tough to emulate? Are the games considered too large? Would it be possible there is a lack of interest by consumers? If there is ever a time for a console to put out a "Mini" version of itself, it is now. So why not the Sega Saturn?

So what is the biggest issue here? Is the system too tough to emulate? Are the games considered too large? Would it be possible there is a lack of interest by consumers? If there is ever a time for a console to put out a "Mini" version of itself, it is now. So why not the Sega Saturn?

All that, I think. It wasn't a hit the first time around, after all.

I'd be all over a software collection of Saturn games. You can buy Nights into Dreams on PC, but most of their other PC stuff is missing in action. I suspect it hasn't been re-released because it was wrapped up in Windows 95 compatibility and resolutions, to say nothing of the flat polygon aesthetic, which not everyone likes.

If this were a thing though, give me ...

Virtua Fighter (Remix and 2 if I get a choice)

Fighters Megamix

House of the Dead

Last Bronx

Daytona USA

Sega Rally

Virtua Cop 1+ 2

Die Hard Arcade

Radiant Silvergun

Last Gladiators Pinball

Sega Ages and/or Sonic Jam

Nights into Dreams

Burning Rangers

Guardian Heroes

Astal

I dunno ... Bug?

and if we can get some third party things, let's have Tempest 2000, Powerslave, Dragon Force, others I've forgotten.

Would love one!

But have yet to see a high quality Sega flashback of any type. AtGames really should be fired and Sega should do something in house along the lines of the NES and SNES Classic quality wise.

So basically I think they have to walk before they can run and they are a long way off from a Saturn flashback.

It also perhaps wouldn't be economically viable? I think both the Saturn and DC sold less than the Wii U in terms of numbers. Might be too small of a niche outside of core gamers (ie casuals not likely to have sentimentality for the system.)

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 1

From what I can recall (and I forgot enough) the Saturn was a nightmare to try and emulate compared to the PS1 and N64. The weird way Sega designed it you have like 5 primary processors between GPU and CPU in this weird tandem of hell getting the games to go, and perhaps up until the really shitty WiiU appeared it was known since then to have the worst and nastiest difficult programming language behind it to get a game going which often delayed ports when it got them. The system faked between all that the ability to be a 3D system, but it was a 2D powerhouse that basically ran code to pull it off (which is why in GBA 3D games you can see the same polygon warping/tearing and other deficiencies.) The hardware involved to emulate the Saturn for a very few brave souls that attempted was asininely high to get solid results and it still is way up the flag pole much like that annoying Higan SNES emulator on accuracy core.

GIven there is no excellent emulator for it still really, and the hardware requirements are just downright miserable, you won't be able to pull of some cheapo Android-ARM combo box or some Pi solution to squeeze out some Flashback device. You'd be better off trying to recode and steal the assets and simulate it properly on something else doing a port of some sort.