IGNORED

Sound system for computer? Out of ideas...

82-T/A

Hey guys... I'm looking for some advice on what to buy.

BLUF/TL;DR: - I'm looking for a very compact 5.1 channel amplifyer, that I can use for my computer, that will fit on the desk, that isn't huge... and accepts multiple input types.

Long story, over the years I've wanted to downsize, and large crap on my desk isn't for me anymore. My computer now is a mid-tower, where as years ago, I wanted the hugest case I could find. Same goes for sound. I have actual speakers (small 4" speakers) on either side of my monitor, and two behind me on the book shelf. I used to have a big amplifyer, basically like a Sony or a Philips... but I no longer want something that big.

Ideally, I'm looking for something that's like this:

Pyle_Pro_PCA3_PCA3_Mini_2_x_597468.jpg

I actually have one of these in my Polybius arcade cabinet that I built. But I want one for my desk, so I can switch (along with my KVM) from different computers, without having some behemoth. Problem with this one is that it's only a two-channel. I can't find anything that has a digital decoder or any of that. I'd really love to have one that has PCM, ToshLink, and then RCA jacks in the back, as well as all the connectors I need... if anyone knows of something... basically a smallish AMP, that allows for multiple inputs, and has 4 channels... PLEASE let me know. 5.1 is ideal! Thanks!!!

Ok, so looking around, I found this, made by Pyle also... it's the best I can find at this point. Obviously, I won't get surround-sound, so I'm pretty bummed. But I can use the REC-OUT as my Subwoofer Pre-Out (I do have one), so that's at least a positive. Also, it has multiple inputs, exactly as many as I need (three), so it solves ALL my needs, except for the lack of total channels. Not much I can do about that, but I guess I'll deal with it unless anyone here knows of something better. I can always use it for something else.

Thanks!!!

1267646870000_679323.jpg

1289337622000_IMG_185218.jpg

Do you really want 5.1 at a desk? Unless you place the speakers very carefully and have enough space for the surround effects, it's likely to be worse than simple stereo from a nice pair of desktop speakers.

If it were me, I'd just use headphones.

I don't know... I think so?

Last game I played where it mattered, was System Shock 2, and it was pretty awesome. Where I lived at the time, I had bookshelves directly behind my computer desk that I mounted the additional speakers on (not huge speakers, just simple 4" box speakers), and it allowed me to hear something standing behind me... which was *awesome* … especially for that game where, at the time, the ambiance, music, and sounds are what helped really make the game.

I suppose this will do... but definitely bummed that I won't have surround sound.

The Sound Blaster card I have though, does allow for multiple 3.5m jacks. I believe the rear channels actually have a separate output... so, if I'm super desperate, I can get another smaller one which I can turn on if it's a big enough deal for me to need / want those rear speakers.

Not what you are looking for I'm sure, but what I do is use a simple AV selector and have my multiple inputs plugged into that. That in turn plugs into the Line-In on the back of my SB ZX I have installed in my computer.

Technically I can have up to four separate devices plugged in to be routed through the sound card this way. I have both of my Roland modules attached and use the other two for connecting up a Genesis or whatever for recording audio from for my videos.