IGNORED

TIPI and Mass Transfer

9640News

if the speeds are not the same, then we (I) need to ask:

1. What version of the Raspberry PI do you have?

2. Are you using side card or PEBox TIPI?

3. What devices do you have attached?

I did leave some RS232 code in the software for log buffers/printing. On my system, the RS232 card was pulled, not an issue. If users are seeing something slow, compare with and without an RS232 card in the system as I could see no other reason for the system to be running at different speeds.

Does anyon if the sidecar 32K that is working with the sidecar TIPI, has the same memory speeds? Just wondering if there could be an impact on memory speeds slowing things down.

Beery

both of my systems have identical performance

pi3b+ on both machines

i tried it on both versions

sidecar has 32k+tipi and speech and the internet is wired

peb has rs232/hdx, tripletech/speech, corcomp disk ctlr, tipipeb, sid99, sams and the internet is wifi

Ok I threw this on my other tipipeb system and it is the faster speed.. and wifi

it has: ti rs232, ti disk and ti 32k and sidecar speech

checking DSR versions:

the faster one 06/23

the side car 05/01

the other peb ver 06/23 (slow)

I also experimented with different cru addresses on the sidecar version, no change at 1000 1100 or 1800

both of my systems have identical performance

pi3b+ on both machines

i tried it on both versions

sidecar has 32k+tipi and speech and the internet is wired

peb has rs232/hdx, tripletech/speech, corcomp disk ctlr, tipipeb, sid99, sams and the internet is wifi

So, both your systems are slow? Commonality is the Pi3b+ (I have a 3B) and the speech. Might try removing the speech and see what happens.

Beery

Ok I threw this on my other tipipeb system and it is the faster speed.. and wifi

it has: ti rs232, ti disk and ti 32k and sidecar speech

checking DSR versions:

the faster one 06/23

the side car 05/01

the other peb ver 06/23 (slow)

I also experimented with different cru addresses on the sidecar version, no change at 1000 1100 or 1800

So, you have a setup where it runs fast like it should?

Not sure what you meant by "the faster one 06/23" and "the other peb ver 06/23(slow)"??? You have two TIPI's with same dated DSR's but different, one fast and one slow?

Beery

So, you have a setup where it runs fast like it should?

Not sure what you meant by "the faster one 06/23" and "the other peb ver 06/23(slow)"??? You have two TIPI's with same dated DSR's but different, one fast and one slow?

Beery

Correct the faster one runs like his video.. faster

The slow is like my video.. slow

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I also noticed on my peb system that the disk controller is active during data transfer from telnet. Perhaps the program accessing something in that area during the transfer that it shouldn't be that on the ti controller it ignores but on the corcomp or if there is no controller it creates the delay.

OK, so for me to get this straight, you have 3 setups.

Setup 1: TIPI sidecar - runs slow.

Setup 2: TIPI PEBox - runs normal.

Setup 3: TIPI PEBox - runs slow.

If I have this right, the first order of things is to establish why Setup 2 and Setup 3 are different, and correct. Then, we may be able to apply to Setup 1.

I also noticed on my peb system that the disk controller is active during data transfer from telnet. Perhaps the program accessing something in that area during the transfer that it shouldn't be that on the ti controller it ignores but on the corcomp or if there is no controller it creates the delay.

When MXT loads, it defaults to the TI setup versus the Myarc mode independent of whatever you had in TIPICFG.

You can toggle TIPI Mode off from the MXT screen which places the TIPI in Matt's definition as Myarc Mode and see what happens when you then establish a new connection.

Is there a chance you have a capture log file open writing to your disk controller?

Beery

When MXT loads, it defaults to the TI setup versus the Myarc mode independent of whatever you had in TIPICFG.

You can toggle TIPI Mode off from the MXT screen which places the TIPI in Matt's definition as Myarc Mode and see what happens when you then establish a new connection.

Is there a chance you have a capture log file open writing to your disk controller?

Beery

Only if that defaults to on none of my systems have myarc mode on

ok to clarify

system 1: slow mxt

4/a, usb keyboard interface, f18a, sidecar32k, sidecarTIPI 1100 cru 5/01 dsr, sidecar speech, PI3b+

system 2: slow mxt

4a, peb, SAMS 1mb, Corcomp disk, Tripletech with speech, TI rs232/hdx, sid99, tipipeb 1000 cru 6/23 dsr, PI3b+

System 3: fast mxt

4a, peb, ti 32k, ti rs232, ti disk, sidecar speech tipeb 1000 cru, 6/23 dsr, PI3b+

all are set to ti mode, and the disk controller light thing was that I had that tipi set to 1100 so that's fixed now, no change in performance

TIPI Mode ON, which is the default, is TI Mode.

TIPI Mode OFF, is Myarc mode.

You might try TIPI Mode OFF to see if that makes any difference. It doesn't on mine as far as Telnet speeds, but there may be something going on we do not yet understand.

Can you confirm the following in a post inquired above? I want to make sure I understand what you have posted.

Beery

TIPI Mode ON, which is the default, is TI Mode.

TIPI Mode OFF, is Myarc mode.

You might try TIPI Mode OFF to see if that makes any difference. It doesn't on mine as far as Telnet speeds, but there may be something going on we do not yet understand.

Can you confirm the following in a post inquired above? I want to make sure I understand what you have posted.

Beery

see previous message for list - myarc mode (ti mode off) just changes the dsr to do wds1 instead of dsk1.. and has no effect when i switch to that.. as expected

ok to clarify

system 1: slow mxt

4/a, usb keyboard interface, f18a, sidecar32k, sidecarTIPI 1100 cru 5/01 dsr, sidecar speech, PI3b+

system 2: slow mxt

4a, peb, SAMS 1mb, Corcomp disk, Tripletech with speech, TI rs232/hdx, sid99, tipipeb 1000 cru 6/23 dsr, PI3b+

System 3: fast mxt

4a, peb, ti 32k, ti rs232, ti disk, sidecar speech tipeb 1000 cru, 6/23 dsr, PI3b+

all are set to ti mode, and the disk controller light thing was that I had that tipi set to 1100 so that's fixed now, no change in performance

I think what needs to be done now is to start swapping items around between System 2 and System 3 to determine when System 2 and System 3 flip on speed performance. First thing, would be to pull the RS232/hdx from System 2, then the Sid to see if those are causing specific issues. Then, if the speed is still slow, swap memory devices.

I have no idea if the Tripletech could be doing something odd with the interrupts on the spooler.

Do you know if the Matt's Telnet client on all three devices perform the same? My BBS at 9640News.ddns.net:9640 can support 3 connections simultaneously if you want to run them side by side.

Beery

I think what needs to be done now is to start swapping items around between System 2 and System 3 to determine when System 2 and System 3 flip on speed performance. First thing, would be to pull the RS232/hdx from System 2, then the Sid to see if those are causing specific issues. Then, if the speed is still slow, swap memory devices.

I have no idea if the Tripletech could be doing something odd with the interrupts on the spooler.

Do you know if the Matt's Telnet client on all three devices perform the same? My BBS at 9640News.ddns.net:9640 can support 3 connections simultaneously if you want to run them side by side.

Beery

telnet runs fine on all 3.. no speed issues

I will consider yanking cards, but the sidecar should be basically the same as a 32k system without any cards other than tipi..

Greg

Greg,

I was going to take a pot-shot and question whether you had any RFI sources or packet collisions due to a busy WiFi network, but after reading that the telnet does fine, I'm wondering if it's program based? Does the MXT program handle incoming data differently than the Telnet program?

the faster machine is on wifi.. I think he is pulling in one character at a time while telnet is doing blocks of data..

the faster machine is on wifi.. I think he is pulling in one character at a time while telnet is doing blocks of data..

True, but that does not explain the difference in speed between the 3 systems. Somewhere, something in your system is choking the speed down. It is not something on my end I can troubleshoot.

Beery

OK, hopefully, it is just you using old code. Is it code that can be updated easily from the TIPICFG program, I'm trying to recall if there was another chip on the TIPI requiring an eprom burner to upgrade if there were ever to be an upgrade.

nope it has to be upgraded from the board itself thankfully I live a few miles from the author ;) I believe most/all of the production boards are running the newer code.. there's no easy way to tell other than possibly to run mxt on it ;) this is all conjecture until we get this tested

Greg