IGNORED

Handy Debugger

oziphantom

In cc65 there is code for adding debugger information in the compiled files. You could write a symbolic debugger with proper variable names.

Adding the flag --debug-info --add-source you get a lot of info for the symbolic debugger added to the asm file. If you try to improve on debugging it could make sense to parse the symbolic data.

main.txt

Edited by karri

adding label support is a must. Source code level though is the task of an external debugger. Especially as you have 2 levels of source code you want to debug from ;)

post-66077-0-07030400-1538301471_thumb.png

There are still some formatting issues withe the "dump" command sadly

post-66077-0-04113600-1538301507_thumb.png

The CHIS view is to die for

post-66077-0-97015300-1538301762_thumb.png

Yes those arrows "fold" the code. This telnets into the monitor, so I want to get the monitor VICE spec enough that I can use this tool.

I have the Win95 version, not sure how different the SDL version is, but if its anything like the VICESDL, barge pole ;) However the core debugger logic will just be c/c++ so shouldn't be too hard to work with, and I hope to basically copy/paste the VICE telnet type system ( although not the parser as that needs yacc/bison so that can get ditched ) so you will be able to put in the system and avoid the gui ;)

GDB is not suitable for debugging hardware, it doesn't have the commands you need for ASM debugging either, for ASM you need a monitor. GDB isn't really suitable for debugging C for that matter either ;)

So I have the code building, and if I end up doing anything serious on this platform, that debugger needs to be fixed.. (or at-least have its command standardized) Is there anything that is really useful to a Lynx that I won't think of that people would like to see?

Check out: https://github.com/specht/champ

Features like this are great, though it might be a hard think to get sprite rendering and math timing well included.