IGNORED

AVGcart gets a new 1200XL compatible shell

COREi64

Here's my latest Atari project.

A friend approached me recently, asking if I could design a shell for the AVGcart. Granted, the cartridge (presumably still) comes installed in a modified Commodore cartridge shell which I have to say does look quite nice, but doesn't do the trick for 1200XL users. One wouldn't expect a Commodore shell to be able to pull that duty anyways.

So, I came up with a design for the AVGcart, with compatibility including the 1200XL. Slips into the cartridge tunnel nicely with no force what so ever. (Almost like it was designed to fit! ;)) Obviously also plugs into the other machines without any issues. The length of the overall cartridge issue for 400/800 users still exists, as I can't change the length of the PCB.

Here are some photos. (the three shells standing on edge in the "group" shot were early prototypes) The two facing in the first shot are final printed in high res.

Thomas

COREi64

post-45854-0-90281900-1538408940.jpgpost-45854-0-86090300-1538408943.jpgpost-45854-0-86845800-1538408945.jpgpost-45854-0-87582500-1538408946.jpg

Edited by COREi64
  • Like 16

The shell is available for purchase here:

https://corei64.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=194

COREi64

Just the first series is out there AFAIK...we are all waiting (im)patiently :D

So uhmmm...will you be sharing the 3D design to print or sell the shells ?

Edited by COREi64

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, and thank-you for your comment.

I do offer the case for sale on my shop. Here's the link.

https://corei64.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=194&search=avgcart

It's only on rare occasions that I release my STLs. Normally only when I've negotiated with a board maker in a collaborative effort. I did this twice in the Commodore community thus far:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1350202

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1928304

Thomas

COREi64

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Does anyone in the UK do a case for the AVG that fits a 1200XL, also are the PCB's the same for all the revisions of the AVG, size and placement wise.ie does 1 case fit all?

I don't mind it being a bare PCB but there is some up and down movement which is a bit of a worry over time..

Edited by Mclaneinc

4 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Does anyone in the UK do a case for the AVG that fits a 1200XL, also are the PCB's the same for all the revisions of the AVG, size and placement wise.ie does 1 case fit all?

I don't mind it being a bare PCB but there is some up and down movement which is a bit of a worry over time..

Have you got a 1200xl mate?

I would love a cart shell for my AVG cart that fits the 1200xl if anyone in the UK could print me one. Will pay obviously

there are stl files available, narrow version should fit 1200xl, they should work for carts that have a shiny screw on the back (those that have black screw would need stl tweak but since i've never heard about anyone that actually printed a shell, i never bothered)

https://avgcart.tmp.sk/files/atari/avgcart_3d_printed_shell.zip

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mimo said:

Cool. Hope you are enjoying the 1200, I'm on my 4th, but this one is staying with me.

First and my only one, been awaiting a 1200XL for sooooo long...It's here to stay..

And @tmp thanks for confirming which versions are ok for a 1200 case..Luckily I have a silver screw and green PCB version.

As said by Mimo and myself, if anyone has a 3D printer and the time and could print a case I'd paypal them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, COREi64 said:

My cartridge shell design is still available (the one depicted at the beginning of this thread).  And it is 1200XL compatible

https://corei64.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=194

COREi64

sm_IMG_6176.thumb.jpg.167b4cf4b9c63906f678e4461934f7e5.jpg

Thanks, but unfortunately after adding shipping and customs duty it starts getting too expensive for me 

Really?  And you know this buying from me how?

I ship my products to the UK all the time, and nobody has ever mentioned having to pay anything other than shipping and the cost of the product.  And my shipping is more than reasonable.  I was just recently discussing shipping with a fellow living in Telford.  He's bought items from me many times and he's never had to pay anything extra.

COREi64

Yes, I am from Canada.

That's fair enough that you don't want to "take the chance", but I would appreciate you not making cart-blanch statements wrt my shipping that I know to be false.

I can confidently say that when I send a package, you won't have to pay fees.  And, IF they ask you to, refuse the package and I'll issue you a full refund.  That's how confident I am that I am right.

COREi64

• Like 1

Hi Corei64,

You have to understand that many folks in the UK feel worried about ordering goods from outside the UK since our Brexxit break up as they are uncertain of just what may or may not be charged. Also, with the pandemic parcels can lavish in customs for some time while they decide what to do. I've seen people in the states just look for products in the states for similar reasons.

Ordering from outside your country can now be a lottery and it's nothing to do with the sellers, it's the courier and customs systems that create the worry. Whilst it's nice to see an offer of a refund IF you get charges, there's the thing that you have waited a couple of weeks or more and then have to start from day one again...Just a bit of a grind if you want to use an item but a nice offer..