graywest

COMPLETE: Spies in the Night 2

Awesome!! Looking forward to it!

We'll be featuring Spies in the Night 2 on Wednesday's ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Spaceman Splorf (Premiere) by Pond Software / Andreas Gustafsson & Vanja Utne aka Sdw & Mermaid
- Spies in the Night 2 (WIP Update) by Jared Gray West aka graywest
- Lunokhod 1 (WIP) by trent
- Incoming! by Ben Larson aka Ben_Larson

attachicon.gif20190417-Let's Play.jpg

• Like 2

Hello everyone! I'm proud to release what I consider to be the final .bin of Spies in the Night 2! Assuming that there are no major, game-breaking bugs, I'd say that this is complete.

FINAL: SpiesInTheNight2-Final.bin

Here are the last few updates that I've made. These are primarily things that were mentioned the last time that Spies 2 was featured on the ZeroPage Homebrew show.

• There is now a delay on the "Game Over" screen before the game will return to the title screen. Previously, if you were holding the button down when the timer expired, the game would just jump back to the title screen and it was confusing.
  • I eliminated a blue flash that was occurring sometimes on the "electrified floors" level when the background color wasn't being set properly.
  • I tested Game 2 and 3 to make sure that they were actually beatable. (They are - if you make a good map, and with enough practice, you can complete both with 1-2 minutes left on the clock.)
  • I fixed a bug that allowed the player to jump straight into the left door on the area selection screen if the button is held when the room loads. I'd considered leaving this in as a "secret", but decided against it. I added 20 seconds to the clock to compensate.

That's about it! The instructions still need to be updated - mainly the screenshots and the number of floors per level and starting timer numbers which have all changed since I wrote that document.

This .bin only contains Games 1 and 2. There will be some carts made in the near future that contain the complete set of Games 1, 2, 3, and R (the randomized version). However, you can feel free to share this .bin around if you like or have your own cart made from it.

Enjoy!

• Like 9

Hello everyone! I'm proud to release what I consider to be the final .bin of Spies in the Night 2! Assuming that there are no major, game-breaking bugs, I'd say that this is complete.

FINAL: attachicon.gifSpiesInTheNight2-Final.bin

Here are the last few updates that I've made. These are primarily things that were mentioned the last time that Spies 2 was featured on the ZeroPage Homebrew show.

• There is now a delay on the "Game Over" screen before the game will return to the title screen. Previously, if you were holding the button down when the timer expired, the game would just jump back to the title screen and it was confusing.
  • I eliminated a blue flash that was occurring sometimes on the "electrified floors" level when the background color wasn't being set properly.
  • I tested Game 2 and 3 to make sure that they were actually beatable. (They are - if you make a good map, and with enough practice, you can complete both with 1-2 minutes left on the clock.)
  • I fixed a bug that allowed the player to jump straight into the left door on the area selection screen if the button is held when the room loads. I'd considered leaving this in as a "secret", but decided against it. I added 20 seconds to the clock to compensate.

That's about it! The instructions still need to be updated - mainly the screenshots and the number of floors per level and starting timer numbers which have all changed since I wrote that document.

This .bin only contains Games 1 and 2. There will be some carts made in the near future that contain the complete set of Games 1, 2, 3, and R (the randomized version). However, you can feel free to share this .bin around if you like or have your own cart made from it.

Enjoy!

This! Is! Awesome!

Thanks Jared!

• Like 2

I can't wait for the offIcial release! I picked up the first after trying it out. Amazing aesthetics and original concept and gameplay.

• Like 3

I can't wait for the offIcial release! I picked up the first after trying it out. Amazing aesthetics and original concept and gameplay.

Thanks!! Much appreciated!

• Like 2

FINAL: attachicon.gifSpiesInTheNight2-Final.bin

I just stumbled on this the other day. I was familiar with the original but wasn't aware that you were working on a sequel. This is fantastic fun!

When and where might you be releasing the full cartridge version? I would definitely like to purchase one when they become available. Thanks again for a great game.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2019 at 5:20 PM, SS said:

I just stumbled on this the other day. I was familiar with the original but wasn't aware that you were working on a sequel. This is fantastic fun!

When and where might you be releasing the full cartridge version? I would definitely like to purchase one when they become available. Thanks again for a great game.

Thanks!! Right now, the plan is similar to what happened with Spies 1. A limited edition boxed release followed by the game being available in the AA store. Scott Dayton (NeoGames) will be doing the boxed release (box, cart, manual) through the Atari 2600 Homebrew Games group on Facebook. You can join that group for more information at this link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Atari2600homebrew/

Al has mentioned an interest in making the game available through the AtariAge store, so that could happen after the limited edition release. I'll try to update this thread as things progress.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

@graywest I'm really looking forward to this sequel.👍

Getting things put together now. Just received the final art for the label.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neotokeo2001 said:

Getting things put together now. Just received the final art for the label

Excellent!  My Spies in the Night Black Edition is getting lonely.

• Like 1