Larry

Archive of Happy Backup Software?

Here is my recollection of the Happy Backup Software (I started with Rev 3.x for the drop-in Happy 810 Enhancement, IIRC):

Rev 1.x ???

Rev 2.x ???

Rev 3.x (Happy 810 Enhancement)

Rev 4.x (Happy 810 Software -- several releases)

Rev 5.x (Happy 810 WarpSpeed Software -- several releases) Note: I believe that the 5.x series started the WarpSpeed releases, but may have started with something like 4.7. (?)

Rev 6.x (Happy 1050 WarpSpeed Software -- not for 810 -- maybe a couple of releases

Rev 7 (Happy 810 and 1050 WarpSpeed Software -- 810 needed the new Happy Rev 7 rom

Rev 7.1 Last released version of 810/1050 WarpSpeed Software

Any added input? Remember anything differently?

Regrettably, after I got the new rom, I got rid of the older disk software, since it would no longer work with the 810 Rev 7 rom. Atarimania has the front side of 5.3 and 6.6. So some of these are missing.

-Larry

Attached are all the Happy Warp Speed Software .ATRs I have found over the years. I think *only* Version 7.1 had a Side B (Documentation and IBM Xfer Utility + additional PDBs). Has anyone got any other versions they can add for posterity?

Happy Warp Speed Software V5.0.atr

Happy Warp Speed Software V5.2.ATR

Happy Warp Speed Software V5.3.atr

Happy Warp Speed Software V6.6.atr

Happy Warp Speed Software V7.0.atr

Happy Warp Speed Software V7.1 Side 1.ATR

Happy Warp Speed Software V7.1 Side 2.ATR

Edited by cwc
  • Like 7

I think the 5.0 and 5.2 disks are new to me.

I used to only have 7.0 for my Happy 1050 back in the day, and do recall using the IBM PC Xfer utility, and warp speed DOS disks, but I doubt those sides are any different than those included with 7.1.

I also wondered about the side B's.

My gut tells me that when Happy WarpSpeed Dos was released, there was some stuff on side B. Looking at the individual disk images may shed some light on that.

Edit: My gut was wrong -- it's on Side A!

We are still on the search for the holy grail ... the Happy Customizer ! :) Wonder if it was ever really released

Absolutely. I had it many years ago. IIRC, the new (free) Customizer is built into Rev 7 and/or 7.1. The old Happy 810 Customizer was released on a well-protected disk, and I think that when I sold my Happy 810 drives, I sent that on its way. Originally, all the extra utilities like the multi-drive, etc were about $50 each, and I think the Customizer was more than $100. At some point they were likely advertised in Analog magazine. The Customizer could not be copied by a Happy -- not sure about the 810 Archiver. Of course, the Archiver software made the Customizer moot.

I'll look through my stuff, but I'm quite certain I no longer have the original.

-Larry

• Like 3

Absolutely. I had it many years ago. IIRC, the new (free) Customizer is built into Rev 7 and/or 7.1. The old Happy 810 Customizer was released on a well-protected disk, and I think that when I sold my Happy 810 drives, I sent that on its way. Originally, all the extra utilities like the multi-drive, etc were about $50 each, and I think the Customizer was more than $100. At some point they were likely advertised in Analog magazine. The Customizer could not be copied by a Happy -- not sure about the 810 Archiver. Of course, the Archiver software made the Customizer moot.

Good to know you had it. That's the first time I hear something about it besides its mention on the Happy documentation. There is no Customizer on the Rev 7 software.

IIRC the Happy can't copy neither the Happy 810 archiver (made by Spartan), neither the Happy 1050 Archiver (made by CSS). And neither the Happy, neither the SuperArchiver can copy the SuperArchiver disk itself, not even the BitWriter.

No, you're right, after looking at the files, what he gave the purchaser of the Rev 7 rom "free" were the files to convert/patch the old customizer to work with the new R7 rom. So, looks like two things -- you still need the original disk, and it seems that you still need an 810. A 1050 evidently won't work (although I never tried). I've done some lookiing and I'm even more convinced that I no longer have the original Customizer disk.

Even if you get the actual disk, then you still have to deal with the issue of the copy protection. (Not that it is insurmountable.)

-Larry

• Like 1

The disks need to be kryo fluxed, then the mystery will be solved by the very talented goup of disk detectives. Original disks always are welcome at preservation project thread and website. They always preserved and returned. Handled with the utmost in care.

Edited by _The Doctor__