IGNORED

What was your favorite graphical effect?

Keatah

That epilepsy filter was something a lot of people moaned about with the NES model first acting like the games were worse off for it or broken because of the tweaks. Like FF1 is one of the most obvious as every spell would do a strobe flash and they did this neat looking color roll effect to change it, similarly with the flashing random effect into battle it was similarly re-tooled.

That epilepsy filter was something a lot of people moaned about with the NES model first acting like the games were worse off for it or broken because of the tweaks. Like FF1 is one of the most obvious as every spell would do a strobe flash and they did this neat looking color roll effect to change it, similarly with the flashing random effect into battle it was similarly re-tooled.

Yeah that stuff was really cool. It did weird things to Castlevania III, too. Very trippy. The thing with Yoshi's Islands and the Fuzzies is kinda lame by comparison.

Phantasy Star on the sega master system in 1987 has smoothly animated first person mazes. It's a step above the redraw the screen every few feet of golgo 13 (1988) on nes or treasure of tarmin (1983) on intellivision. I first saw that first person maze effect on a commodore pet so when I eventually saw treasure of tarmin it's effects were a little disappointing. It's still a good game.

Yeah that stuff was really cool. It did weird things to Castlevania III, too. Very trippy. The thing with Yoshi's Islands and the Fuzzies is kinda lame by comparison.

Well I don't know I guess. Now I'm guessing yours is hacked if you're talking Castlevania III. What did the Nintendo made emulator do to that game exactly? I can only imagine that one stage with the lightning and mist getting strange.

I must admit to being a little mesmerized by the Atari 2600 early screen saver feature where you can watch color palette swaps of games at rest. I still think it's kind of cool now.

Now I wonder, was that a feature of the hardware or did that have to be programmed into the games?

Also, the humming sounds of the TV that would change every time the color palette swapped - very mesmerizing indeed. I remember sitting down and watching it for a while as a kid just to see what color combinations would pop up.

In that case, I think it's being done deliberately to avoid triggering epileptic seizures. https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/73errv/flashing_background_on_yoshis_island_when

I wonder how kids got epilepsy from playing Kickle Cubicle. (Epilepsy trigger warning!)

Skip to around the 52 minute mark.

Edited by mbd30

Well I don't know I guess. Now I'm guessing yours is hacked if you're talking Castlevania III. What did the Nintendo made emulator do to that game exactly? I can only imagine that one stage with the lightning and mist getting strange.

Yeah, it's hacked, but I'm using the built-in emulator. A good example is that when you get the powerup that clears all enemies from the screen, the whole thing gets smeared for a moment like a colorful acid trip. Not how the original looked, for sure, but it's a cool effect.

• Like 1

I like the wiggly screen thing, it's a pretty simple effect lots of games of the 8/16 but era used.

Lots of Atari games do color scrolling and cycling which I enjoy.

Parallax scrolling is always a cool effect, especially for 8 bit that can't really handle many effects.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

There's an effect on many arcade games when you score points, you'll get a small box with how many points you scored, let's say 3,000, and it'll be cycling a rainbow assortment of colors. I'm pretty sure Defender, Robotron, Joust, and Paperboy all have this effect. I'm having trouble finding a .gif to show you what I'm talking about. Jeff Minter used it to great effect in Llamatron and Revenge of the Mutant Camels as well.

I would also like to add the 'starfield warp' effect found in Star Raiders, Battlesphere, Zero 5, and Tempest 2000. The graphical effect is impressive, but all these games add the outstanding sound effects that really give it a kicker.

Sprite scaling always caught my attention.  Games like Punch Out, Pole Position (is it?), Hang-On and Out-Run, were so more advanced than consoles at the time.  

Does massive amount of sprites count?  Games like gauntlet, Robotron 2084 were there's tons of character on screen is always awesome.  

And explosions!  Well done explosions are the best.

Strikeforce comes to mind. such an awesome game. Needed to be ported to the Jag

I do not know what it is properly called, but I really like the surfing portion of California Games on the Atari 2600 with the effect of the water/waves.

39881-california-games-atari-2600-screen

The wireframe 3D of Dungeons of Daggorath on the Coco was also quite impressive

screen-0.jpg?fakeurl=1&type=.jpg

• Like 1