IGNORED

Why do people actively hate "pre-NES" consoles?

zetastrike

I'm a huge shmup fan and input lag could mean the difference between eating a bullet or staying alive. For me playing Gun-Nac with an emulator was awful. But now that I play it on my NES with a CRT it is huge how much better it feels. It may have been that my emulator I was using didn't run it very well.

• Like 1

Probably one of the reasons you don't sense much lag, the type of games you play might not require super fast reflexes.

I'm an arcade guy so I mostly play 80's arcade ports but there's still some games that need precise movement or precise jumps to win and I haven't noticed anything. I've read from others from looking into this that it seems to affect mostly the SNES games, of which I only have 5 and again, those are arcade ports or puzzle games.

• Like 1

lol.. Love Hotels. I come from a part of the world where those can be relatively common (although less so nowadays). I used them when I was in my 20's if I ever picked up a chick usually to get a room for a couple of hours. The cool thing about the one I liked was you could drive up and pay via the drive-through, and then park in a single car garage (with a stairway up to your single room) effectively hiding your car from view. It was more or less covert motels. :lol: Lots of people used them for drugs as well of course. But.. BROTHELS, they are not. :)

Edited by NE146
  • Like 4

lol.. Love Hotels. I come from a part of the world where those can be relatively common (although less so nowadays). I used them when I was in my 20's if I ever picked up a chick usually to get a room for a couple of hours. The cool thing about the one I liked was you could drive up and pay via the drive-through, and then park in a single car garage (with a stairway up to your single room) effectively hiding your car from view. It was more or less covert motels. :lol: Lots of people used them for drugs as well of course. But.. BROTHELS, they are not. :)

User name checks out.

(I read it as "Anyone for sex?" especially in conjunction with your user pic.)

Edited by mbd30

Late to the party, but just wanted to say that I actively hate Top Hat Gaming Man. Clickbait garbage.

Only seen a few of his efforts myself,not impressed.

Pure Clickbait as you see.

Lots of school boy errors in his research.

I wouldn't go as far to say i hate him, no idea who he is, more his is not a channel i would recommend to anyone,based on those 2 factors.

Late to the party, but just wanted to say that I actively hate Top Hat Gaming Man. Clickbait garbage.

Only seen a few of his efforts myself,not impressed.

Pure Clickbait as you see.

Lots of school boy errors in his research.

I wouldn't go as far to say i hate him, no idea who he is, more his is not a channel i would recommend to anyone,based on those 2 factors.

Top Hat Gaming Dude is a poor imitation of Total Biscuit (RIP) except replacing the funny of TB with total desperation.

• Like 1

I just find myself getting bored with the novelty type YT Channels.

Dabbled with some Ashens stuff, but it grew very stale very quickly

People like Top Hat Man doing click bait stuff just isn't worth investing time in.

There's an awful lot of spam videos featuring a collection of other people's footage spliced together to be a showcase on subject of the day.

I find a lot of the lower end subscription channels are delivering more interesting content for myself.

8 bit Atari console and computer games that passed me by back in the day in particular.

It's far more interesting to make a new discovery than waste time on the attention seekers on YT.

I swear some of these channels deliberately put out false information, knowing people will correct it in the comments section and thus the video has generated a response.

Top Hat has over 29,000 subs so i don't think he needs my time or support any more then i need to invest my time on his stuff

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 3

I don't hate him personally. I hate his show, and I hate the character that he created. People like him are why I don't go around telling people in my personal life that I have a YouTube channel.

• Like 3

I've gotten to where I enjoy watching people review old cheap PC games. There's one that goes to Goodwill then reviews whatever he finds there.

I mean, there's going to be a million reviews of Fallout 76, RDR2, and such, but how many reviews of Putt-Putt goes to the Moon are there?

You know about this guy, right? I wish I had his attention span and copious free time. http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com

• Like 2

I don't hate him personally. I hate his show, and I hate the character that he created. People like him are why I don't go around telling people in my personal life that I have a YouTube channel.

I'm almost always turned off by YouTube channels that feature people mugging at the camera a lot. Most of the good videos I've seen feature someone narrating calmly. If someone does insist on being on camera, I find it more tolerable if they're just being themselves instead of playing some bug-eyed and jaw-swinging caricature.

• Like 5

Most the youtube gaming channels are just copy cat garbage or worse, utter trash all scrabbling for hits, clickbait for pennies, or trying to look good enough to mooch a freebie off some one trying to peddle the next great thing. I agree Ashens is good, but it kind of bleeds together so you can't be consistent with that guy. Jeremy Parish though is fantastic. If there's someone who needs a nod it's him with his NES, SNES and Gameboy Works covering a game each time, heaps of history, fact checked back stories and other goodies you can't always dig up using google or other sources. That guy does an amazing job. I hate Gameboy got mothballed through the year for other stuff, but SNES was being neglected. The GB has this strange history so the stories coming off those games development out of Japan are pretty entertaining.

• Like 2

When Jeremy Parish is good, he's very good. When he's not, however, he's terrible. The latest Retronauts is about the 30year anniversary of the Sega Genesis and since the hosts were "Nintendo kids," they know very little about the system. They go on with 90 minutes of ad-sponsored yammering nonetheless. Ergh.

• Like 3

I'd guess a lot of people put on a different personality for their YT Channels and are acting a role somewhat?

It's always baffled me watching someone open a new video by claiming after the last video they did on trout tickling or whatever. .they were inundated with requests to do another....so here it is.

Yet the comments section of the original have say maybe 10 comments at best and no demands for more. .more.

It also never ceases to amaze me that prolific YT hosts and aspiring writers seem to hate hardware when it suits...Amstrad GX4000 atrocious, NES dire...

Next thing you know said abomination's are being written about, have YT videos dedicated to showing games in specific areas etc etc.

So the hate is nothing of the sort, it's just today's attention seeking tactic whilst tomorrow it's here's my latest YT video dedicated to the top 25 NES games with amphibians in.

If you like this..please subscribe to my channel, donate here and visit my kickstarter project..

I'm definitely a man feeling out of his era.

• Like 3

I guarantee any such place had tricks turned in them.

I'm almost always turned off by YouTube channels that feature people mugging at the camera a lot. Most of the good videos I've seen feature someone narrating calmly. If someone does insist on being on camera, I find it more tolerable if they're just being themselves instead of playing some bug-eyed and jaw-swinging caricature.

• Like 6

When Jeremy Parish is good, he's very good. When he's not, however, he's terrible. The latest Retronauts is about the 30year anniversary of the Sega Genesis and since the hosts were "Nintendo kids," they know very little about the system. They go on with 90 minutes of ad-sponsored yammering nonetheless. Ergh.

Yeah, I like Parish but he definitely has his quirks and limitations. He also seems to have this mentality that Atari-era gaming was this tortured evolutionary march toward the glory of the NES. You see this particularly in his (suspended?) Metroidvania series, in which games like Zork were apparently all just lesser prophets presaging the true perfection of Super Metroid. Hell, I like Super Metroid but I'm not even sure it's better than the original Metroid, which Parish sometimes claims is "unplayable" now :P

• Like 1