IGNORED

AtGames Officially Unveils Legends Ultimate Home Arcade (full-size machine)

Bill Loguidice

35 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

I have been on the fence about this lately.

The 30 day warranty does add Pause to a purchase.

But seeing how easy it is to put together and it looks like buttons and controllers can be easily replaced.  It is looking up.

As long as the wiring is standard that is!  I am certain someone will mod one sooner than later.

I would also like to see the process of BYOG.

I get the USB / HDMI add-ons.  That is cool and straight forward.  But if I own a Donkey Kong in shaky condition.... Can I add the roms to this machine? 

I had an Atari Basketball.  That had 2 large track balls, does that make this a 1 player game?  I guess it could be played by joystick, but not as well.

The Cabinet / Screen: Let's say this is a BASE component and the Controller "Box" is another.

Will new Controller options be available?  I could see a Star Wars yoke,  Tron Stick and Spinner,  Dual Trackball, Steering Wheel(s).

These configurations could include different games.  Steering wheel with Pole Position I + II  as well as Night Driver etc.  The Tron stick could include Zaxxon, Super Zaxxon etc.

Maybe the plan is to release different cabs every year or so.  But think of the weight and shelf space savings these controller boxes could save.

Or sell both?  I could see having 2 of these systems for ease of use. 

No, this is the cabinet and platform going forward. It does allow for USB and Bluetooth add-ons, so third party controllers are an option. There may be some type of third party add-on system that allows easy attachment of additional controls, but it depends on the third party in question to make it happen. We'll see. We're also planning on still looking into light guns, steering wheels, and other potential add-ons as a first party, but that's still going to be a ways off if it happens at all.

As it stands, the two joysticks, trackball, and spinner is pretty versatile, but obviously not perfect for every game type. You can also plug in things like an Xbox/PS controller, keyboard, and mouse, but again, that's not necessarily what you'd want this type of platform for.

The first step is going to be to get these widely distributed and get all the services out of beta, and all the promised features in place. After that, we can start to look at further expansions.

1 minute ago, Keatah said:

It tells us about future expansion capacity. How much headroom is left..

In what way, though? That's what I'm getting at. It can play all the stuff you'd expect such a machine could play natively already, and what it can't it can just stream. I'm just curious what your thoughts are on "future expansion capacity."

2 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I'm looking at it from a modder's point of view. Can other systems/roms be loaded, PS1 material? Can it handle some of the more demanding titles in mame?

There will be USB drive support to add your own games, yes. There's no PS1 emulator onboard, but there is an SDK, so in theory someone can add just about any functionality they want. I'm sure lots of cool stuff will be developed over time.

I still want to see a demo of BYOG.  NOT STEAM.

I have a bunch of NES and SNES carts.   Clearly this emulation is on here, How can I play these games?  I know it has inputs, but I want them integrated!  

I have a couple of Arcade CABs as well, but would just apply the roms to this and put those in the garage!

Oh, looking for a Good condition Q*Bert if anyone wants to part with it for a reasonable $$ and preferably in central MA area.

I don't know how well this would play on the 8 way?  Oh, I can put it in 4 way mode, it just wouldn't be oriented correctly, but should be playable.  Train your mind that left is down to the left... LOL

Does this have controller config?  The 8 way might be fine!  Just map the angles and leave up, down, left and right un-mapped?

To dream....

13 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

I still want to see a demo of BYOG.  NOT STEAM.

BYOG Steam using our servers is active. Local BYOG Steam streaming is not yet active. The ability to play games from your own USB drive is not yet active, but coming.

22 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

In what way, though? That's what I'm getting at. It can play all the stuff you'd expect such a machine could play natively already, and what it can't it can just stream. I'm just curious what your thoughts are on "future expansion capacity."

But the video shows that streaming requires a subscription? Maybe they just want to know what they're buying vs. what they're renting?

There's also a question of how functional this thing will be if the servers disappear one day.

47 minutes ago, JaqenHghar said:

But the video shows that streaming requires a subscription? Maybe they just want to know what they're buying vs. what they're renting?

There's also a question of how functional this thing will be if the servers disappear one day.

I know there are a lot of features to grok.

First off, the 350 built-in games are always accessible. They're built-in. There's no subscription for that. Think of it like an Arcade1Up machine, but instead of a couple of games you get 350.

If you pay $19.99 a month, you get access to every ArcadeNet game for the month, as well as 5 free hours of BYOG. Since it's in beta right now, ArcadeNet is free. Once it's out of beta, you can pay for this optional service if you want.

Any games you buy in the future from ArcadeNet (when that option is available) will be yours to keep forever and store on your own USB drive. 

You will also soon be able to put your own games on your own USB drive and play them. Again, free and forever.

For BYOG, it's charged by the hour if you stream your PC digital games (Steam, EPIC, Origin, etc.) using our servers. If instead you have your own PC and want to stream from that on your own local network, that's free. You just need our free app, which will be available soon.

You can also plug in most 2018 and all 2019 non-portable AtGames consoles and Blast! units to play even more games with the arcade controls and using the arcade screen. In fact, the Sam's Club version of the cabinet comes with the Bandai Namco Arcade Blast!, as well as 3 months of ArcadeNet included (those 3 months will be active once the beta is over).

So yeah, servers being there or going away have little to do with like the half dozen ways to play games on this machine. Accessing a server is just one of many options.

• Like 2

Bill thanks for the info (although I had to look up what "grok" meant!).  

Question on the "put your own games on your own USB drive and play them" part - is that via the inputs I see to the left of the control panel?  No way to store them internally?  (Like connect a flash drive internally or laptop hard drive).

Have to touch base with the Sam's club out East of me (its the only one I know near me) and see if they have this yet or ETA on getting it.  

Would you know (and I understand you may not) if Sam's plans to get this into into all of their clubs?

I know with Costco and the 1Up cabs I have been told more than once they only send them to the high volume/money making clubs (this was true for the Asteroids Deluxe & the MK II & Pac-Man cabs).  

44 minutes ago, 128Kgames said:

Bill thanks for the info (although I had to look up what "grok" meant!).  

Question on the "put your own games on your own USB drive and play them" part - is that via the inputs I see to the left of the control panel?  No way to store them internally?  (Like connect a flash drive internally or laptop hard drive).

Have to touch base with the Sam's club out East of me (its the only one I know near me) and see if they have this yet or ETA on getting it.  

Would you know (and I understand you may not) if Sam's plans to get this into into all of their clubs?

I know with Costco and the 1Up cabs I have been told more than once they only send them to the high volume/money making clubs (this was true for the Asteroids Deluxe & the MK II & Pac-Man cabs).  

Yes, it's via the inputs on the control panel. There may be a way to do it internally since some of the interconnects are obviously USB, but I haven't seen it done yet so don't know if it would work.

Every Sam's Club is getting at least 3 to start. It's best to call your local store with the item number to see if it arrived yet. It's been confirmed in Arizona, Texas, Chicago, New Jersey, etc., but a lot of those places already sold out (the one in Delran, NJ, for instance, I just heard sold out today). They also have it available online to ship. Shipping is free if you're a Plus member.

I myself went to pick one up at my local Sam's (Cinnaminson, NJ) after calling to check if they had it. They showed 3 in stock like they were supposed to, but unfortunately didn't know if that meant it was in the back yet or just on the truck. Apparently it shows as in stock if it's on its way on the truck. I'm going to go back there tomorrow (again!) and try again.

4 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I know there are a lot of features to grok.

First off, the 350 built-in games are always accessible. They're built-in. There's no subscription for that. Think of it like an Arcade1Up machine, but instead of a couple of games you get 350.

If you pay $19.99 a month, you get access to every ArcadeNet game for the month, as well as 5 free hours of BYOG. Since it's in beta right now, ArcadeNet is free. Once it's out of beta, you can pay for this optional service if you want.

Any games you buy in the future from ArcadeNet (when that option is available) will be yours to keep forever and store on your own USB drive. 

You will also soon be able to put your own games on your own USB drive and play them. Again, free and forever.

For BYOG, it's charged by the hour if you stream your PC digital games (Steam, EPIC, Origin, etc.) using our servers. If instead you have your own PC and want to stream from that on your own local network, that's free. You just need our free app, which will be available soon.

You can also plug in most 2018 and all 2019 non-portable AtGames consoles and Blast! units to play even more games with the arcade controls and using the arcade screen. In fact, the Sam's Club version of the cabinet comes with the Bandai Namco Arcade Blast!, as well as 3 months of ArcadeNet included (those 3 months will be active once the beta is over).

So yeah, servers being there or going away have little to do with like the half dozen ways to play games on this machine. Accessing a server is just one of many options.

Thanks Bill,  This is what I wanted to know about BYOG.

How about controller configuration by game? Or is custom controller configuration an option at all?

8 hours ago, BantyRooster said:

Really interested in this game for the family for Christmas...  looking for any reviews of actual use from the unit from Sams.

Also, how do you get add'l games loaded onto it like Defender, Joust, Rampage, etc?

I'm sure many more reviews will be coming soon as more and more people are getting them.

There are a wide variety of ways to add more games, some out, some coming. What you're specifically looking for it sounds like is USB drive access, which will be enabled quite soon.

7 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Game changer? If I see MAME running, I'm in...

I want to add some technical info, though I don't have a way to fully test this out as I currently don't have a Legends machine.

After using the tool mentioned in the video, it appears to output a file that is in the SquashFS format, like a zip file but on linux.

Within that "package" are the following files and folders.

• boxart/
    • boxart.png
  • emu/
    • genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so
  • roms/
    • rom_file.bin
  • save/
  • cartridge.xml
  • exec.sh
  • title.png

The cartridge.xml is formatted like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<byog_cartridge version="1.0">
  <title>Rom File</title>
  <desc>Community Add On</desc>
  <boxart file="boxart\boxart.png" ext="png">
</byog_cartridge> 

And the exec.sh:

#!/bin/sh

set -x
/emulator/retroplayer ./emu/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so "./roms/rom_file.bin"

I expect we will soon have new tools that will bulk pack multiple ROMs at once by pointing to a folder...

And it looks like the front end is a custom Kodi install running Kodi RetroPlayer on Windows. This means that there might be other compatible  Libretro cores for other Consoles and Handhelds.

And I want to shout out to @negative1 who's been a rock star over on the subreddit.

Edited by The Historian
More words
  • Like 1