IGNORED

AtGames Officially Unveils Legends Ultimate Home Arcade (full-size machine)

Bill Loguidice

The add your own ROMS is cool but this really needs MAME. I can't speak for others but I want arcade games on an arcade cabinet, not consoles. And if you do want consoles check out the software lists for MAME, it does lots more than arcade games now. Bottom line and my opinion is this thing will sell well when MAME is ready to rock on it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skeeter said:

The add your own ROMS is cool but this really needs MAME. I can't speak for others but I want arcade games on an arcade cabinet, not consoles. And if you do want consoles check out the software lists for MAME, it does lots more than arcade games now. Bottom line and my opinion is this thing will sell well when MAME is ready to rock on it.

More is coming!

1 hour ago, toddtmw said:

Great about MAME, but I watched 30 seconds of that video and couldn't take that guy anymore.

To each their own with YouTube. I like his stuff. Anyway, he also demonstrates how it's done later in the video and provides the necessary links and info in the video description.

2 hours ago, Keatah said:

I wonder if this would handle Atari's Assault? I know something would have to be done about the controls, but I know Assault works on the MAME 0.68 and on a Pentium III.

It's a 1988 game and this has been handling well into the 90s, so I don't see an issue with this one. But yeah, the controls would be a no-go since you have the two sticks with triggers. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TF14 said:

Hi Bill - To use the MAME games option via USB, do you need the ArcadeNet monthly subscription?  And thanks for the continuous updates on all of the new capabilities!

Here's something I had written elsewhere on AtariAge on the Facebook fan page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/457437778352096/) :

Hey, guys. There are some common questions that keep popping up, so I came up with a quick write-up to try and summarize everything (I posted variations of this already as a comment on one of the YouTube videos and on the AtariAge forums, and thought it might prove useful here as well). Begin:

I know there are a lot of features to get a handle on (and the comments reflect that), so let me try to summarize as simply as possible.

The 350 built-in games are always accessible. They're built-in. There's no subscription for that. Think of it like an Arcade1Up machine, but instead of a small handful of games you get 350.

If you pay $19.99 a month, you get access to every ArcadeNet game for the month, as well as 5 free hours of BYOG. Since it's in beta right now, ArcadeNet is free. Once it's out of beta, you can pay for this optional service if you want.

Any games you buy in the future from ArcadeNet (when that option is available) will be yours to keep forever and store on your own USB drive.

You are also soon be able to put your own games on your own USB drive and play them. Again, free and forever.

For BYOG, it's charged by the hour if you stream your PC digital games (Steam, EPIC, Origin, etc.) using our optimized servers. If instead you have your own PC and want to stream from that on your own local network, that's free. You just need our free app, which will be available soon.

You can also plug in most 2018 and all 2019 non-portable AtGames consoles and Blast! units to play even more games with the arcade controls and using the arcade screen. In fact, the Sam's Club version of the cabinet comes with the Bandai Namco Arcade Blast!, as well as 3 months of ArcadeNet included (those 3 months will be active once the beta is over).

I know there are always concerns about servers being there or going away, but that has little to do with like the half dozen ways to play games on this machine. Accessing a server is just one of many options. You can use this as a straight-up local machine or also use it for its connected features. The choice is yours.

We're also being super aggressive with the updates and will continue to do so. Lots of features are in the pipeline and releases are happening multiple times in the week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been giving this a lot of thought and I'm getting closer to jumping in and getting one, but there's a few things I'd like to see addressed before I do.

Getting MAME running is great but needs a few things added. The ability to add sample files to fix the sound glitches in games like Donkey Kong. And adding in game artwork so you could add bezels which not only look great, but would also help fill the screen. And speaking of the screen, there needs to be a way to adjust the display so it's not so small. From what I've seen some of these games run well but they're tiny.

Local streaming needs to be in for BYOG with Steam, GOG, etc. For instance, I have Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours on Steam. It plays great with the arcade stick I have but man I would love to play that on a cab...but there's no way I'm going to pay to play a game I already own no matter how good the cloud servers are. I see that feature is planned so that's cool.

Edited by Skeeter

BYOG is interesting, if only from a marketing point of view. It isn't something I would ever use. And that's alright. Like the previous poster said - I wouldn't pay again for something I already bought. There'd have to be significant upgrades and changes to the whole experience. And playing "sit-down" games on a stand-up upright arcade console isn't considered a change by me, let alone a significant one.

5 hours ago, Keatah said:

BYOG is interesting, if only from a marketing point of view. It isn't something I would ever use. And that's alright. Like the previous poster said - I wouldn't pay again for something I already bought. There'd have to be significant upgrades and changes to the whole experience. And playing "sit-down" games on a stand-up upright arcade console isn't considered a change by me, let alone a significant one.

BOYG has three components and only one is paid. You can pay to stream your digital PC games from our optimized servers (it costs money for the server time, obviously) or, for free, stream your digital PC games from your local network and own PC. Of course, there's also play games from a USB drive, which is also free.

There's a LOT of fixation on "fees," etc., but it's literally only two of the many ways to play games on the thing. There are many more ways to play for free. 

7 hours ago, Keatah said:

I think there is a growing annoyance with "fees" everywhere. Not necessarily singling out the Legends cab itself.

The only thing here is that there really is no need to pay any fees unless you want to use these specific features. If AtGames did not have the in-home streaming and forced you to use their servers, that would be a different story, but to me they are only charging for features that are not a necessity to enjoy the unit to its full potential, so that's not really a deciding factor for me.

• Like 5

Yes, I get the fees thing. We can only support so many monthly services in our lives and it seems everything is going that way. Fortunately, the Legends Ultimate is and can be an entirely offline (outside of firmware updates - always do those), feature-complete experience should you never want to take advantage of the two optional online services.

• Like 2

Just picked one of these up over the weekend, I don't claim to be an arcade expert but I'm really happy with it! The style might not be for everyone, but I dig it. There are quite a few of the 350 included games that I wasn't familiar with in arcade form and I appreciate having both console and arcade versions of some of those games. Super excited to try the free local in home steam streaming when it comes out... But in the mean time the free 5 hours included I think is enough to tell if that service is right for you, for me latency was a bit too high for fighting games, but I think that's due to my wifi, didn't try ethernet yet. I think the D2D vm is a great option, not everyone has a gaming machine sitting around and I think $1/hr is a fair price to not have to worry about owning/maintaining your own hardware. For the MAME roms its been real hit or miss, probably only got about 1/3 of the ones I tried to work... Seeing as the sams club version of this is only $100 more than the tmnt arcade1up I think this is an absolute steal, great job AtGames!

Does anyone know if there is a list of roms that work with the mame emulator core/hardware limits?

Also It would be super awesome if we could plug in a couple more fight sticks via the usb to get 4 players going on things like tmnt/simpsons! I plugged in a couple things like an xbox controller and generic usb fight sticks and it just sees it as player 1 and was kind of buggy.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review Professor...

What State are these being found?   I am in Mass and we do not have a Sam's.

I will either need to go North to NH or South to CT.  Both are over an hour away.  NH is tax free!!  Save about $30

not having a Sam's Club near by, I do not have a membership.  i have tried looking on line to see if the two closest locations have these in stock, but I cannot tell.

Maybe if you can sign-in you can tell?  Anyway, If someone has seen these is NH or CT  well lets say central New England, could you post here and how many they had.

That would really help.  Thanks!

Just now, 1980gamer said:

What State are these being found? 

Got mine in Michigan, it just showed up this last week sometime as the previous Sunday I went there to check... The only thing I saw on the website was around Monday-Tuesday they had some online, but none in stores...  I have been checking daily since finding out about the mame rom support. I let some family members know to keep an eye out and they found one Saturday, the website never had it listed, always said 0 within 150 miles.... So whatever their stock system is its not always up to date... I think cooltoy on youtube said the same thing, he just drove around until he found one. 

• Like 1

I decided to get one. I went the WallyWorld route for home delivery, due to be here Wednesday. I considered getting a Sam's membership just for this but they're sold out online and no stores within 150 miles of me have them. So, I could have waited for Sam's to restock and saved $50 or so considering the membership fee, or go with WallyWorld. I hated to pay more for less but I wanted it now. The Blast dongle I can live without, but I would have liked to try the 3 months of arcadenet deal. Other than that, did I mention I wanted it now. ?

28 minutes ago, Professorpoptart said:

Does anyone know if there is a list of roms that work with the mame emulator core/hardware limits?

They're using the MAME 2003 plus core. You might check here for a full ROMS list.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skeeter said:

I decided to get one. I went the WallyWorld route for home delivery, due to be here Wednesday. I considered getting a Sam's membership just for this but they're sold out online and no stores within 150 miles of me have them. So, I could have waited for Sam's to restock and saved $50 or so considering the membership fee, or go with WallyWorld. I hated to pay more for less but I wanted it now. The Blast dongle I can live without, but I would have liked to try the 3 months of arcadenet deal. Other than that, did I mention I wanted it now. ?

They're using the MAME 2003 plus core. You might check here for a full ROMS list.

Unfortunately, Sam's Club's online system does not necessarily accurately reflect what's in-store. It's best to call with the item number (https://www.samsclub.com/p/legends-home-arcade-special-edition/prod23603404) and check with your local store directly. 

The good news is that you won't have to worry about the 3 free months of ArcadeNet for a while, because it's free to everyone during the beta testing period. 

• Like 1

I just want to remind everyone who uses Facebook that there's a very active fan community, here, with some great info/people: https://www.facebook.com/groups/457437778352096/

And of course we're continuing to put out firmware updates to add/refine features. It should be at least weekly for quite some time.

Just now, Bill Loguidice said:

Unfortunately, Sam's Club's online system does not necessarily accurately reflect what's in-store. It's best to call with the item number (https://www.samsclub.com/p/legends-home-arcade-special-edition/prod23603404) and check with your local store directly. 

The good news is that you won't have to worry about the 3 free months of ArcadeNet for a while, because it's free to everyone during the beta testing period. 

Too late now, already ordered from Wally. ? That's good to know about ArcadeNet, thanks, looking forward to checking it out.

• Like 1