IGNORED

Why did this 800xl go for so much?

Swami

I can't really comprehend this. I looked through the SOLD listing and the many past PAL 800xl's listed went for $59 to $92, then this one I'm watching goes for $136?!? What am I missing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-800-XL-65-XE-130-XE-HOME-COMPUTER-CONSOLE-8-BIT-GAME-/223187902493?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

I can't really comprehend this. I looked through the SOLD listing and the many past PAL 800xl's listed went for $59 to $92, then this one I'm watching goes for $136?!? What am I missing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-800-XL-65-XE-130-XE-HOME-COMPUTER-CONSOLE-8-BIT-GAME-/223187902493?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

Winter's coming. People are looking for some new toys to play indoor :-)
  • Like 4

AMenard makes a great point but I think it goes further.
he person that purchases it might not have done the research to find out what an average price for the item is OR didn't really care. Some people just impulse buy, which has the effect of increasing the average cost of the item because then others looking to sell the same item see that high sales price and, they too, want to get that amount for their item. When that impulse buyer then decides to sell that item, most likely because they satisfy their impulse desires, they put it back on ebay for at least the price the purchased it for because it MUST be worth it because that's what they paid for it. My answer is, just wait and eventually the interest in anything retro right now will soon dwindle and get back to normal prices.

AMenard makes a great point but I think it goes further.

he person that purchases it might not have done the research to find out what an average price for the item is OR didn't really care. Some people just impulse buy, which has the effect of increasing the average cost of the item because then others looking to sell the same item see that high sales price and, they too, want to get that amount for their item. When that impulse buyer then decides to sell that item, most likely because they satisfy their impulse desires, they put it back on ebay for at least the price the purchased it for because it MUST be worth it because that's what they paid for it. My answer is, just wait and eventually the interest in anything retro right now will soon dwindle and get back to normal prices.

Hi

i think over time, the value of old games increases

Prices are always rising
i'm from Egypt in my country and Middle East countries prices of old games have an increase in demand

For one thing, he shows it in operation. You'd be shocked (at least I am) at how few people do that. Most auctions are a gamble. This looks like a pretty safe bet.

Could be. If you don't show pictures of it working after saying "tested and working" it makes me wonder why not. My experience with "tested and working" consoles on eBay has been mostly disappointing, I think, although some of it was hiss in the audio, so you can't really find that out in pictures.