IGNORED

HDMI to Component Video Converters

I think he wrote it backwards. He's complaining the cable for the Cube is expensive, and it is, it's over $300 for the scam rate the component cable hits.

But, if you go up to unofficial HDMI, you can pay $100 for the ZeldaXpro external device, or you can be a fool and pay $150 for the EON one that just has a prettier cardboard box it comes out of along with an attractive looking 3D printed shell for the hardware inside.

The hardware in both (or any other) are all identical as it's all open information that has been out there a couple years now and some people decided to take advantage of the work and make a profit off it for those (like me) who can't make one of them on their own.

Again they are all the same, they have the same internal options, menu, and output so you can pay $100 or $150 for fluff.

The hardware in both (or any other) are all identical as it's all open information that has been out there a couple years now and some people decided to take advantage of the work and make a profit off it for those (like me) who can't make one of them on their own.

I just keep waiting for somebody who REALLY wants to make a profit via selling much larger quantities by offering the same solution for $50. It's bewildering to me why that is, since it's not like they're expensive to produce.
  • Like 2

I think he wrote it backwards. He's complaining the cable for the Cube is expensive, and it is, it's over $300 for the scam rate the component cable hits.

But, if you go up to unofficial HDMI, you can pay $100 for the ZeldaXpro external device, or you can be a fool and pay $150 for the EON one that just has a prettier cardboard box it comes out of along with an attractive looking 3D printed shell for the hardware inside.

Again they are all the same, they have the same internal options, menu, and output so you can pay $100 or $150 for fluff.

There is a 3rd option for a bit lower price...

https://insurrectionindustries.com/product/carby/

These guys are at PRGE and very cool to talk with. I also got a sneak peak at some other stuff they are working on. I have purchased 1 of their cables and it seems to be well made and being in the US a far cheaper solution compared to overseas.

• Like 4

I just keep waiting for somebody who REALLY wants to make a profit via selling much larger quantities by offering the same solution for $50. It's bewildering to me why that is, since it's not like they're expensive to produce.

I couldn't agree more. There are being conservative here at the least 10+M working Cubes out there people probably still have some fun using, so there's plenty of a market there to peddle such a good. If it would be possible to make a profitable release at $50 I wish someone would do it. I paid $100 for mine with the 6ft HDMI cable that came with it and I have no regrets other than I have no talent nor 3D printer to have fabricated my own earlier.

These guys are at PRGE and very cool to talk with. I also got a sneak peak at some other stuff they are working on. I have purchased 1 of their cables and it seems to be well made and being in the US a far cheaper solution compared to overseas.

Sweet never heard of Carby but hey at $75 that's a nice $25 price reduction and even they include a nice little remote for theirs. The others do not, but I happened to have a new old stock goodwill sony universal remote I picked up months earlier for almost nothing so that worked out in the end for it at least. :D Problem is I rarely play with the settings so I forget what I map the buttons to. :(

Yeah I have a hard time wording stuff

Could they just make Component Adapter for the GameCube?

It would help people who plays on PVM's or CRT's with Component Jacks

I had a feeling which is why I answered that way, broke it up, kept it short too. And to answer you, yeah they probably could. I don't think anyone wants to though. Component/Composite cables are being dropped hard off TVs, and sure while a niche of people are stubborn clingers onto old CRTs and the rarer few with PVM like displays, it would really be catering to a very small group which would drive up the price on them I think more than the HDMI option. HDMI just is what TVs do now so it's easier to support that and make far more of those as it's not a dead format.

Punisher - Nah, stupid NIntendo making that port and then only self-peddling them quietly on their very (in that era) lousy and unfriendly web store doomed it to permanent obscurity and disgusting pricing on the after market. Purists and format agnostic types will keep that price up there no matter how common the HDMI choice could end up getting.

Nobody has bothered to clone the encoder chip that was embedded into the component cable yet, so I don't see it ever happening.

These HDMI adapters work since the GameCube's component port is outputting a digital signal thanks to Nintendo cheapening out and pushing the analog YPbPr encoder chip to the component cable itself, knowing that most GameCube owners would be using regular composite cables.

To make a component adapter, we're back to where we were. As over 15 years of nothing shows, that proprietary encoder chip is a game stopper and nobody has produced an alternative GameCube component cable solution yet. And like Tanooki says, we're at a point where most people would prefer the HDMI adapters anyways, so it's almost certainly never going to happen now.

Edited by Atariboy

I actually got to play with and see the Carby in action yesterday at PRGE on two GCs side by side. I have to admit it was damn good looking. They were using Mario Sunshine as the game of choice, but it was still really impressive and the menu functions were the usual options most of these have. Such as scanlines and the percent of the scanlines to use. Hard resolution output settings so you can set it strictly to line double mode or 720p / 1080p output modes, whatever is needed for your particular display setup. The games automatically detected the Carby and would go into progressive mode as well which was nice to see instead of forcing it as I'm used to doing with my GC games through my Wii. So yes it seemed like a very cool little package and they toss in the HDMI cable as well.

They also let me take a look at one of their newest cable designs for the playstation and I assume the PS2 as well. It is an all in one cable to provide the analog to HDMI conversion all within the cable connectors itself. Very sleek looking cable.

Their (Insurrection Industries) goal is to provide very simple ways for people to connect their old systems up to modern displays without needing additional mods or anything like that. As an example, they have created their cables with the proper components to do all attentuation within the cables themselves. This means that using their cables on SNES or Genesis/Megadrives with RGB bypass boards might not actually work with these cables properly as many of the bypass boards do additional attenuation that would cause issues with the way the cables are designed. So that is one thing to keep in mind. I own one of their SNES cables and it works every bit as well as my much more costly Retro Gaming Cable I purchased from the UK some time back.

So if nothing else, having a US source for good SCART cables and such is much appreciated and I'm sure to give these guys more of my business going forward.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Punisher - Nah, stupid NIntendo making that port and then only self-peddling them quietly on their very (in that era) lousy and unfriendly web store doomed it to permanent obscurity and disgusting pricing on the after market. Purists and format agnostic types will keep that price up there no matter how common the HDMI choice could end up getting.

The cables are practically collector's items now which is probably one of the reasons for the high cost. Luckily I managed to get two of them just before they stopped making them (one RGB modded and one unmodded) and the prices got out of hand. If you absolutely need Component Video from a GC it'd be cheaper to get one of the aforementioned HDMI adapters then connect it to a HDMI to Component Video adapter.

• Like 1

I actually got to play with and see the Carby in action yesterday at PRGE on two GCs side by side. I have to admit it was damn good looking. They were using Mario Sunshine as the game of choice, but it was still really impressive and the menu functions were the usual options most of these have. Such as scanlines and the percent of the scanlines to use. Hard resolution output settings so you can set it strictly to line double mode or 720p / 1080p output modes, whatever is needed for your particular display setup. The games automatically detected the Carby and would go into progressive mode as well which was nice to see instead of forcing it as I'm used to doing with my GC games through my Wii. So yes it seemed like a very cool little package and they toss in the HDMI cable as well.

They also let me take a look at one of their newest cable designs for the playstation and I assume the PS2 as well. It is an all in one cable to provide the analog to HDMI conversion all within the cable connectors itself. Very sleek looking cable.

Their (Insurrection Industries) goal is to provide very simple ways for people to connect their old systems up to modern displays without needing additional mods or anything like that. As an example, they have created their cables with the proper components to do all attentuation within the cables themselves. This means that using their cables on SNES or Genesis/Megadrives with RGB bypass boards might not actually work with these cables properly as many of the bypass boards do additional attenuation that would cause issues with the way the cables are designed. So that is one thing to keep in mind. I own one of their SNES cables and it works every bit as well as my much more costly Retro Gaming Cable I purchased from the UK some time back.

So if nothing else, having a US source for good SCART cables and such is much appreciated and I'm sure to give these guys more of my business going forward.

I'm starting to like those guys, but like I'm guessing this thing you saw about an HDMI conversion cable for PS1 is not for sale yet? I don't see it on the site, just more annoying SCART stuff I have zero use for or capability to even use. It would be pretty nice if someone did make a PSOne style jack replacement that does HDMI instead of the RCA cable it comes with on that console.

Another solution is to get a Wii. It will play all the GC games via - as far as I understand - some sort of "hardware emulation" (ie better than Xbox or PS backward compability) and connecting it to a CRT via SCART/Component is cheap and yields great results. Probably HDMI too.

Edited by youxia

No emulation on the Wii, it's just enhanced GameCube hardware and is able to run those games natively.

Both used a PowerPC CPU. It just downclocks from 729 MHz down to 485 MHz when playing a GameCube game. Same with the GPU, with the ATI supplied graphics processor downclocking itself from 243 MHz down to 162 MHz.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I'm starting to like those guys, but like I'm guessing this thing you saw about an HDMI conversion cable for PS1 is not for sale yet? I don't see it on the site, just more annoying SCART stuff I have zero use for or capability to even use. It would be pretty nice if someone did make a PSOne style jack replacement that does HDMI instead of the RCA cable it comes with on that console.

Correct, they aren't available for sale yet. But strangely they had well over a dozen of them it looked like on hand? But yes it was a straight cable with all the conversion components made within the connector ends. Looked really slick though I didn't see it in action.

I talked to them a bit, also. Played Ikaruga that they had set up and took a pic of their table. (I'll post it later... at work now...) They also talked about being "half the price of their competitors."

The EON guys were there, too... but didn't have anything set up to play (that I remember) and yeah, quoted a price of $149.99... but hey, you could get a couple coupons for $5 off something somewhere... lol

I talked to them a bit, also. Played Ikaruga that they had set up and took a pic of their table. (I'll post it later... at work now...) They also talked about being "half the price of their competitors."

The EON guys were there, too... but didn't have anything set up to play (that I remember) and yeah, quoted a price of $149.99... but hey, you could get a couple coupons for $5 off something somewhere... lol

E-O-N was everywhere?! All of the GameCube tourneys were using their converter box and in looking at the menu options from theirs, it appears that both the carby and the eon device are using the same tech as the menu options looked identical to me? So given that the carby is half the price kinda makes it the winner here and I was surprised they didn't have a larger presence. But then Resurrection Industries is just starting off and I could tell in talking with them at length, that they plan to develop and provide much more than just SCART cable solutions and in essence really want to be a one stop place for all cable and conversion needs for playing retro consoles on modern displays and do it in the most affordable and simplest way possible.

• Like 1

Now that you mention it, I think they did say something about all the GameCubes were running their devices... I just don't remember anything at their table. I visited their table right after the Carby one. Got pics of both tables... not too helpful though now that I look at them...

The boxes are cute, though.

Now that you mention it, I think they did say something about all the GameCubes were running their devices... I just don't remember anything at their table. I visited their table right after the Carby one. Got pics of both tables... not too helpful though now that I look at them...

The boxes are cute, though.

You're paying for that cute little box that their device comes in didn't you know that?

• Like 1

Here's the two pics I took... again, not much info in them, really... need to work on my picture taking...

First the Carby one. The GameCube on the left was playing Ikaruga with the Carby. The GameCube on the right was hooked up via composite, I believe, and was playing... something else... don't remember now... Maybe Metroid... not the same games, but you could tell that the one via HDMI was a lot clearer. The Carby was $75 and came with the box, and instruction sheet, and a remote control. I tweeted this pic and they responded saying they were working on a vertical/TATE mode for the screens and that they'd probably have it ready "next time". Meaning next years PRGE? Dunno...

post-21069-0-88751900-1540336489_thumb.jpg

Then the EON table. Like I said, I don't remember them having anything set up to play at the table, but they may have... I was there at the same time as another guy who was being kinda... um... dramatic I guess is the word... so I didn't spend a lot of time. I asked them about it and about the price, which was when they offered the coupons. I don't remember exactly how much they were for, but certainly not enough to offset the higher price.

post-21069-0-18966200-1540337390_thumb.jpg

One other thing... the Carby booth was set up over in the vendor area... a little quieter and with better lighting. The EON booth was over in the arcade area just about right next to where they were having the Tetris and Smash Bros tournaments, so it was darker and louder and smaller...

Edit: Maybe it was a Mario Kart Double Dash tournament... dunno... wasn't really that interested in the tournaments...

Edited by Eltigro

EON just seems to be a joke to me and always have. It's the suckers buy for people with no common sense and a fatter wallet (in practice or in their deluded minds.) It offers nothing of value to back up asking $150 for it that the $100 Zeldaexpro 3.0 (v1 or v2 mini) device, let alone Carby at $75 offers. I guess because they hand them out to tournament situations and travel shows to show off they have the best marketing presence so they an drown out smarter values with flash and no added substance which is a shame.

I kind of wish I could buy a Carby but it would be wasting money given what I do have already works great.

Maybe they can invent a cable for PCE/TG16 to do HDMI?? The device as it stands does like GC a digital out feed from that port on the back of the device with all those pins in it. If they could figure out how to run with that, in a long rectangular plug to hit all that, and then out through an HDMI port on the other end I'd buy that in a heartbeat. All PCE hardware aside from the Shuttle and the Duo style combo boxes use the same output pins so it would be globally universal.

Edited by Tanooki

Is it hard to make a Component Adapters for the GameCube?

There must be a market for them

Part of the component circuitry is inside of the cable itself, on an IC. Maybe someone will crack it someday, but as of now, it's a niche market (and still might be expensive to produce).