IGNORED

Underrated/Hidden Gems on the Atari 7800?

yy958

I won't rehash what everyone else has said, most of which I agree with, BTW...So,...My recommendations are ARMOR ATTACK II and DUNGEON STALKER. Both are homebrews available in the AtariAge store. Getting them with boxes, if you can afford to luxuriate for something cool, is what the hobby is all about. Brand New Games for a classic system! :)

Dungeon Stalker is a no brainer and seems to be universally liked...(It's like a D & D setting version of Night Stalker/Dark Cavern...So obviously just buy it.)

Armor Attack II is a PacManPlus (AKA Bob DeCrescenzo) game and I probably like it better than most people, but I remember the original Armor Attack in arcades and it was a blast. Now here's Armor Attack II! ... an unofficial sequel...Wait there's an actual Cinematronics logo on the box! So maybe it's an Official sequel?? ... Either way, it's like a more advanced, and obviously raster scan (Not vector) version of Armor Attack, and it's always fun just to pick up and play. It's kind of like playing Asteroids using a speedy Jeep in a maze. To me, this is Exactly what a 7800 game could be (and should have been).

• Like 2

The 7800 library is small, but it has at least one game for most of the genres of the era. In this case, hidden gem status depends a bit on what kind of games you like.

Like space shooters? Try Planet Smashers. It has a pretty cool level up and warp mechanic.

Like driving games? Try Motor Psycho. It's fun learning when to jump.

Like platformers? Try Scrapyard Dog. There's hidden secrets to discover scattered all over.

That's why I like the classic 7800 library.

Now ask me why I LOVE the homebrews...

• Like 2

There's nothing super special here but there are 3-4 shops I frequent and they all have Atari stuff. Not a lot or anything rare but they do have stuff. I also have seen some uncommon games pop up at local Half Price Books. Other than Half Price, most of those shops sell the games for $2-$3 unless it's something a little more rare. One of the stores probably has a stack of 20 copies of Combat.