IGNORED

The most expensive game you've ever bought..

Video

Several years ago I paid $330 for a copy of BattleSphere (Atari Jaguar). Good game, but not worth that kind of money. In the last couple of years I've seen folks selling knock-offs for $50-$60 US, and that seems much more in line.

Edited by ls650

I paid $200. For Stadium Mud Buggies and $240. For Jetsons Way With Words to complete my Intellivision collection.

The cool part is I paid less than $200. In the 90's for all the really rare games like Spiker!,Congo Bongo,Turbo,Fathom and the Learning Fun games.

I have paid $100. for a homebrew Intellivision game,still pretty darn good for all I have!

Edited by wolfy62

See.. what are we talking about. Used/secondary market? Or when it was hot and fresh (and still mind blowing).

I think the only game I bought new at retail since the PlayStation 2 (and even that stuff was mostly Christmas/birthday gifts to my siblings) was Aliens: Colonial Marines for PC, opening day, in 2013.

That's $50 and a handful of hours I'll never get back. :|

I think that even of the PS2 and GameCube games I had, they were birthday or Xmas presents; I can't actually remember one that I bought for myself new, though I did pick up a couple of used ones occasionally. Even back then, pretty much all my gaming money went to collecting retro stuff.

Just remember. If you sell it, odds are you will never get another one. It's one of the reasons why I WONT sell it. I'll have to look into a AES flashcart. Thanks !

Phantasy Star (SMS) one of the top 5 favorite games of mine of all time. My original cart from release, I plugged it in the other day and it still had my save games from the 90's ! Talk about a long lasting battery. I even have the Tips from Sega. Back in the 90's if you called Sega for "game support" they would send you a printed walkthrough. I have these for a few Sega games... talk about rare.

I wish I could find a repo label for it, one of the kids back in the 90s pealed off the label so it's a black cart :(

Ive sold off most of my valuable AES games already. Most of them just sit there for years. Ive moved on to SD card devices for most of the systems that I own.

Then I remembered I'm $175 into star citizen.

And that's just the game, let's not even get started on the equipment I've bought specifically to play it.

I'm thinking that's more 'preordered' than 'bought,' though.

Shit. I might actually be deeper into Hearthstone than I was Panzer Dragoon Saga. Fortunately a little after the time Witchwood came out, I saw the light and got out...but not before pre-ordering the 50 packs for $50 or whatever it was.

I probably got a lot of doom and duke nukem too, but outside of original release, I mostly bought cheap and used, they weren't on a lot of consoles, but we're still rather numerous. Forgot pc minecraft, that's another $26 LOL.

Consoles would be fine. There the most expensive would have been ps3 though ($600), which I flipped for $200 profit on launch. I was NOT going to pay that for a personal console. Most expensive I bought for me would be 360 fat at $400 (console w 20gb hdd) and of course, rrod got it so I bought another console s and new 120gb for for $300, that died 4 years later and I bought the e for $200 (reused s hdd) then that got stolen so I bought a used s and 500gb hdd for $180. So single console would be $400 (or $300 if you count the drive seperately) or cumulatively, I guess I paid over $1000. MAybe a ps3 wouldn't have been that had a deal? THough I hear the originals have their own issues so...

Edited by Video
  • Like 1

I'd like to belatedly thank whoever outbid me on Ebay for a Atari 5200 Bounty Bob Strikes Back about 5 years ago. After a day of drinking quite a few brews I placed a $400 bid, only to wake up the next morning to find that I lost the auction.

I know it is a holy grail game and eventually got to scratch the itch by getting the Commodore 64 disk version of it (at a much, much cheaper price)

Kids.......don't drink and Ebay!

• Like 2

For an arcade cabinet I paid $800 for a NEO GEO 4 slot; the guy gave me 4 games with it (I now have around 18).

For a NEO GEO MVS cart I paid around $250 or so for either NEO BOMBERMAN or NEO SUPER DODGEBALL on Ebay auctions.

For a home system cart I paid about $64 or thereabouts for STRIDER for the Genesis right when it came out.

For an arcade cabinet I paid $800 for a NEO GEO 4 slot; the guy gave me 4 games with it (I now have around 18).

For a NEO GEO MVS cart I paid around $250 or so for either NEO BOMBERMAN or NEO SUPER DODGEBALL on Ebay auctions.

For a home system cart I paid about $64 or thereabouts for STRIDER for the Genesis right when it came out.

Hopefully it would have been Dodgeball for $250 as the other is worth maybe 1/2 that. :) Either way not bad on the whole there.

• Like 1

For me it's definitely Rondo of Blood for PC Engine CD and a boxed mint "midline" KoF title (96 IIRC) for Neo Geo AES, each were $100+something.

My most expensive acquisition though would have to be an MVS motherboard I salvaged from a mini arcade cabinet I found in the street in Korea around 2012. I got that for free sure... but it opened a slippery slope of building a supergun, then upgrading to an XRGB-Mini for good HDMI support, then getting other console hardware (since hey I might as well get more out of the XRGB...). It's been a great journey so far.

Edited by Newsdee