IGNORED

Any way to UN-retrobrite an Atari 400 case?

Starglider01

I find it hard to believe they came out of the factory with these khaki-tinted case badges, but whatever. The aftermarket keyboard in my video only matched the machine it was designed for after the case was Retr0Brited back to a warm grey.

I saw them BRAND NEW, in 1983... I can assure you the were not gray, warm gray, light gray, or any shade of gray. They were tan, like light cream-brownish. Red-primary component in there, for sure (not neutral). At least the (large) batch / lot we got.

Look at my avatar. Close to what I saw, back then.

Cheers!

Edited by Faicuai

Amazing that Lowe's knew. Did they scan, match and custom mix it, or was it a spray can?

Also, what experiences have people had with paint? Any problems with rubbing off, flaking?

The guy at Lowe's might have been acting [emoji6] But the color was off the shelf not custom. The match is unbelievable. (video soon.)

I owned a 400 in 1983 and it looks perfect. Not gray, but khaki.

A good quality paint applied to a clean surface should not flake of under normal use.

Thanks!, Starglider aka ԹҽɾíƒɾɑϲԵíϲ's RҽԵɾ๏ RҽϲíԹҽs

[emoji973]️ http://youtube.com/perifractic

[emoji973]️ http://patreon.com/perifractic

Edited by Starglider01

And for those who are still not sure, here is a before-and-after-35 years comparo, providing pretty solid evidence:

post-29379-0-13326600-1540834130_thumb.jpeg

Right out of my vault... from the time Atari was truly special! ;-)

What people don't quite understand is that some (reflected) colors' perception is strongly subject to the temperature of the incident light predominant on the scene. And the Atari's tan / kaki color is particularly challenging under varying light conditions. This is evidenced even on Atari's OWN brochures: in one page the outer case comes greener / grayish, and on the very next it shows reddish, and on the next page kaki (!!!)

So your memory of what it really looked is very important, if you had the chance to see it up-front and new.

Cheers!

Edited by Faicuai

correct, the blue lighting has tilted the CRI in the earlier picture where as the last picture has better natural light which reveals more of the tones involved.

the add on keyboard inset matches the light greyish white outlines around some of the elements in the the 400/800 series and peripherals.

Edited by _The Doctor__

That paper has clearly yellowed [emoji6][emoji6]

Look closer.

There is white on the paper... and it shows very close to how it appears in reality. The edges. ;-)

• Like 2

And for those who are still not sure, here is a before-and-after-35 years comparo, providing pretty solid evidence:

attachicon.gif0A52F727-25FE-4612-9E34-2C0BAC73DBCC.jpeg

Right out of my vault... from the time Atari was truly special! ;-)

Can't argue with that. Looks like a warm grey to me, entirely in keeping with what I believe to be the original colour. It's certainly not tan. :)

• Like 1

Can't argue with that. Looks like a warm grey to me, entirely in keeping with what I believe to be the original colour. It's certainly not tan. :)

Here's your tan/creamy-color. EXACT same machine as I posted on the table-shot (under a bit bluer daylight), but just different light-conditions (reflected, afternoon):

post-29379-0-42271200-1540839120_thumb.jpg

See?

Anyway, the important thing is having had the opportunity to personally see them, back in 1982-1993, new, out of the box. No better reference than that, I believe.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

sigh...the 800 is not grey and never has been. It has always been light creme to a slight almost tan color depending on the run variance. next up roughness or sheen of power cords...

No, color rendering due to lighting changes only changes how you see or perceive it.

The colors for the Atari were chosen based on how it would look in natural daylight and some incandescent with fluorescent added light. Blue light was not the norm in 1979. The daylight and light bulbs of the time were of a much fuller spectrum of light.

Pictures and television show this as do brochures and video tape. It's not grey. though some might have been considering egg shell to be the case with todays lighting.

Hey what color is it under a black light? Wonder what all that UV will do to it....

Next up how to adjust the tint on your television to make your Atari green...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

So the colour is whatever you decide to call it depending on how you light it. Got it. :D

:-D

That would have to be a YES, if you do not have a direct memory of it, and can't make it up from the printed documentation / brochures of 1982.

It would be a NO, if you saw it up-close, back in such days, at the shop, under neon-light, at your house (under multiple conditions), etc., from where you can clearly extract the "typical color", so to speak.

All I can say is, whatever tone / color you choose, it was VERY distinctive... NO OTHER piece of equipment that I recall (from those days) had that particular color. And I saw quite a lot. Memorable, indeed.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

Restoration and video/audio upgrade complete. For the first time ever, even when I was 10, I finally have a decent image out of the first computer I owned.

I'm delighted with the result and can't wait to share the video of the job with you all.

cc18dc21be2f25feec7b6dea7c3d3c9a.jpg

And I can confirm the color is "Camouflage Khaki". In the photo the flap button was not sprayed. Also in the video I'll show the exact color match compared to the inside of the case that did not see UV, and the commercials of course.

Thanks for all the help! [emoji4][emoji106][emoji973]️

• Like 5

Okay, which of these is closest to the "correct" color for the 400/800 and their accessories BITD?

Also, which of these has spent most of its lifetime stored in its original packaging and which spent a good chunk of the 80's and perhaps even into the early 90's in a classroom environment exposed to copious amounts of natural and flourescent light, touched by plenty of grubby hands which probably (hell, *certainly!*) included the nicotine-stained fingers of public school teachers? And finally, which of these has been cleaned, treated and/or painted and which hasn't? ;)

post-30400-0-65457800-1540854015_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It was at least a partially trick question:

The more-yellowed one was stashed in its original packaging box, along with all the original paperwork, a cord that looked like had never been unfolded, manual, uncompleted warranty card, etc., and THAT box was inside a THE PROGRAMMER box that had BASIC still inside its packaging box, all cards, manuals, books, etc. Honestly, over than the dust there in the grooves, it looks and feels untouched. At the very least, it's been boxed up for decades.

Conversely, the one on the right came with a giant bundle of stuff I bought around 2002 - 2003 (when eBay was still a great way to find shit cheap!). It was packaged with two 1200XL's, two 1050's, and a couple BASIC carts and the like. One of the 1200XL's has a "PROPERTY OF MENDOCINO CITY SCHOOLS" label on it, and this 410 has a white replacement power cord (very neatly and professionally installed), and the sticker of a private company on the bottom. It clearly had a good deal of use: buttons have less spring tension, the cassette door opens and closes with less force, and so forth.

Since I've had these, they've spent most of the last 15+ years inside storage tubs in my garage.

Conclusion? Beats the shit out of me which is what the machines looked like when new, though I had a 400, 410 and then an 800 all purchased new between 1982 and 1983 when I was 14 - 15 years old. Memories fade, they become conflated with other stuff we see and other things we think we remember. Neuroscientists, cops and lawyers know very, very well that the worst witness in the world is an eye-witness who's certain of his memory. ;)

Edited by DrVenkman

okay you made me go check some paperwork, as I am certain can be rechecked by those in possession of Atari's big clear out and remains as well as those who did some dumpster diving.

The colors chosen where to approach Almond to Toasted Almond in reference to what would be acceptable.

The entire line was in an Almond theme at the time and tweaked to please the eyes of the day. It may look slightly different today... as selection palettes have been modified over time but a quick search turns up an un-tweaked modern palette

https://www.colorcombos.com/color-schemes/291/ColorCombo291.html

color-scheme-291-main.png?v=201111172311

one shade is missing, burnt almond... like I said a slight tweaking to make things stand out but this is basically where it all comes from. Okay kids. Angle your lcd screen until the rich tones show through. I don't think there is much more on this. 4th bar is generally what the case would be, You can see where 400 membrane comes into play as well as all other peripherals and lettering. Deep dark burnt almond is not shown but since the dark browns blacks etc generally don't fade or tint badly, You pretty much have the original color already..

:)

Edited by _The Doctor__

okay you made me go check the paperwork, as I am certain can be rechecked by those in possession of Atari's big clear out remain and dumpster diving.

The colors chosen where to approach Almond to Toasted Almond in reference to what would be acceptable.

The entire line was in an Almond theme at the time and tweaked to please the eyes of the day. It may look slightly different today... as selection palettes have been modified over time but a quick search turns up an un-tweaked modern palette\

Can you take some photos (or better yet post a scan!) of some of those "Atari's big clear out remain and dumpster diving" docs? I'd honestly love to see them. The only similar stuff I've seen is on Curt's Atari Museum site but most of them were photographed or scanned a decade-plus ago in what is now pretty low size/resolution. And I don't think I've ever seen one about color selection.

I think I remember mine as a sort of warm-beige at the time, but hey, I know memory is a faulty thing (unlike some others, I guess). I'd love to see some design notes to that effect.

• Like 1

Okay, which of these is closest to the "correct" color for the 400/800 and their accessories BITD?

Also, which of these has spent most of its lifetime stored in its original packaging and which spent a good chunk of the 80's and perhaps even into the early 90's in a classroom environment exposed to copious amounts of natural and flourescent light, touched by plenty of grubby hands which probably (hell, *certainly!*) included the nicotine-stained fingers of public school teachers? And finally, which of these has been cleaned, treated and/or painted and which hasn't? ;)

attachicon.gifIMG_8834.JPG

You could cryo-store them in any way you want, with whatever materials you wanted, either.

But what matters in the above context is what WE DO NOT KNOW. And it is clear we don't really know what happened BEFORE these units were packed. But I can assure you that a "new" or "mint" unit, properly packed and stored on its original bags and boxes NEVER gathers the smudges and shitty crap that the left unit shows. Ever.

As for my opinion, both were exposed to external-environment factors. To what degree and severity? Can't tell. The left one shows significant signs of plastic deterioration. As for my own 410, which I unboxed new, and was truly in mint condition / well cared for (as much as I hated it), it was definitely closer to the right one.

Edited by Faicuai

Restoration and video/audio upgrade complete. For the first time ever, even when I was 10, I finally have a decent image out of the first computer I owned.

I'm delighted with the result and can't wait to share the video of the job with you all.

cc18dc21be2f25feec7b6dea7c3d3c9a.jpg

And I can confirm the color is "Camouflage Khaki". In the photo the flap button was not sprayed. Also in the video I'll show the exact color match compared to the inside of the case that did not see UV, and the commercials of course.

Thanks for all the help! [emoji4][emoji106][emoji973]️

Very, very close to how I remember my 400, purchased in 4/1983 (still have the original invoice).

NEVER saw any of these units too far from this, in the gazillions we sold back then.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 2