IGNORED

Any way to UN-retrobrite an Atari 400 case?

Starglider01

The utter self-assuredness of some in the thread is ... charming. However, unless someone has a post-graduate degree in organic chemistry with experience in the aging process of industrially-scale consumer grade polymers, it's misplaced. And if you do, well, you would know better than to be posting such sure-sounding statements. ;)

So as I periodically do in similar threads, let me cut to the chase: does anyone know from whom Atari's subcontracted the plastics used for accessories? Does anyone have documentation (as in, actual master contracts and the companion statements of work) which definitively shows what Atari, Inc. specified in terms of color, density, consistency and environmental compatibility for the plastics used? And were subcontractor manufacturers (for the non-Sunnyvale made stuff) using Atari-supplied plastics or were they shipped the plastics to them directly by Atari-selected suppliers?

That kind of utterly-boring logistical and supply-chain shit that no one ever thought worthy of saving would put this kind of nerd-fight to rest pretty definitively. :)

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 2

Bushnell himself could state what a thing is and people will debate it. Big load Itchy type people I'd say.

If you want colors from such documents hone in on Pantone like numbers during your search. referred to as POP number etc.

It's possible a RAL match could have been attempted at some manufacturing sites but that's internal to their process and not as precise.

That's about all I'm going to say as you all argue amongst yourselves. This gives me headache and I must move on.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Very, very close to how I remember my 400, purchased in 4/1983 (still have the original invoice).

NEVER saw any of these units too far from this, in the gazillions we sold back then.

Thanks. In my view all that matters is it's better than it was, and matches our individual memories. Each machine is for us to enjoy, and if we're happy with it that's all that is important. #nostalgia

Thanks!

Starglider aka Perifractic http://youtube.com/perifractic

• Like 1

The 400/800 reminded me alot of the IBM Selectric typewriters we learned typing on in high school. Like this one. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KJIAAOSwOyJX3j5o/s-l1600.jpg

LoOoOoL !!!

YESS, that's very close to the unit my mom had at her office desk, back home!!!

That one looks like pregnant with quintuplets, though... :D

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

Clean, sure. Bleach? Not with the results I've seen. Believe me, I wish there was a better way. I'm not convinced these bleaches are the way to go, but that's just me.

I bleach every system and computer's casing. I have never had a problem. It doesn't turn black a different color, and doesn't retrobright yellow. It just kills every germ and makes it as clean as possible, while bringing out the best color, while not causing a chemical reaction..

Edited by Zap!

Restoration and video/audio upgrade complete. For the first time ever, even when I was 10, I finally have a decent image out of the first computer I owned.

I'm delighted with the result and can't wait to share the video of the job with you all.

cc18dc21be2f25feec7b6dea7c3d3c9a.jpg

And I can confirm the color is "Camouflage Khaki". In the photo the flap button was not sprayed. Also in the video I'll show the exact color match compared to the inside of the case that did not see UV, and the commercials of course.

Thanks for all the help! [emoji4][emoji106][emoji973]️

Thanks!, Starglider aka ԹҽɾíƒɾɑϲԵíϲ's RҽԵɾ๏ RҽϲíԹҽs

[emoji973]️ http://youtube.com/perifractic

[emoji973]️ http://patreon.com/perifractic

I have bad news for you. The label underneath isn't centered. reeeeeeeeeee! Congrats on the beautiful restoration. I'm excited to see the video on your channel.

I remember seeing the 400 & 800 in early 1980 but.. The color was between grey and almond or light brown, I think. But in early 1980 there were only CTIA machines with 128 colors so.. no wait....

Is it possible the machines do some yellowing in the first few months or year and then the process slows down. But yes by '85 they were light brownish as the photos in this thread show. But they could look quite grey under some types of light.

The inside of the case does yellow much more slowly, but I'm not certain it remains near mint color even if well protected from UV. Also to consider that it could have been stored in a hot Atari or reseller warehouse where the process happens as well, as the tape deck in this thread shows.

Here are some photos of a near mint 800 tho http://atariage.com/forums/topic/276385-mint-atari-800-photos/ The second photo has the white styrofoam as a great color balance.

Edited by Sugarland
  • Like 2

I have bad news for you. The label underneath isn't centered. reeeeeeeeeee! Congrats on the beautiful restoration. I'm excited to see the video on your channel.

I remember seeing the 400 & 800 in early 1980 but.. The color was between grey and almond or light brown, I think. But in early 1980 there were only CTIA machines with 128 colors so.. no wait....

Is it possible the machines do some yellowing in the first few months or year and then the process slows down. But yes by '85 they were light brownish as the photos in this thread show. But they could look quite grey under some types of light.

The inside of the case does yellow much more slowly, but I'm not certain it remains near mint color even if well protected from UV. Also to consider that it could have been stored in a hot Atari or reseller warehouse where the process happens as well, as the tape deck in this thread shows.

Here are some photos of a near mint 800 tho http://atariage.com/forums/topic/276385-mint-atari-800-photos/ The second photo has the white styrofoam as a great color balance.

Pretty much like my A800, bought it also mint, and in the special / custom carrying case for it (Blue, with large Fuji-like logo outside).

Date is week 18, 1983, but the key here is the WHITE label in the back. It has to come out mostly white, with NO ocre / yellow edges or patches on it, which is a sure sign of higher-than-average levels of humidity (plus made in U.S. is an extra bonus, with the characteristic "black / anodized" case outer-screws, not silver):

post-29379-0-22121200-1540995499_thumb.jpg

post-29379-0-05513500-1540995523_thumb.jpg

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

I've always thought that also, especially this early model:

omg I can here the clicks and spins, feel the warmth, and smell the oily electro-mechanical typing pool from here! very distinctive! Indelibly imprinted to my memory, that image evoked such a strong recall of the senses and perceptions of that time.

Edited by _The Doctor__

sigh...the 800 is not grey and never has been. It has always been light creme to a slight almost tan color depending on the run variance.

Agreed. The 800/810 I had in the early 80's was a pleasing tan color. The color coordinates VERY nicely with the dark brown face plate of the 810 and dark brown keys of the 800.

The 800/810/850 setup I have now is the same pleasing tan color (with some variance, but not much). The contrast to the very clearly BEIGE 1050 Drive sandwiched between the 810 and 850 is pronounced; the color difference is significant.

Earthy tones were big in the late 70's/ early 80's. :)

Edited by Mechanicjay

• 1 month later...

Hi all, thanks for your assistance in this project. Here's the conclusion and outcome to the retrobriting and ultimately the respray. I hope you enjoy it. I'm sharing it here with you all a day ahead of the public release. [emoji16][emoji973]️

https://youtu.be/JG_9W-LzWXc

In conclusion I prefer a light spray paint to retrobriting. It takes literally 60 seconds instead of the hours, possible streaks, and mess of retrobriting, and the UV yellowing won't come back, unlike retrobriting.

That said I respect all opinions and methods. There are no "wrong" ways to love and care for our retro gear.

Thanks!

Starglider aka Perifractic http://youtube.com/perifractic

Edited by Starglider01
  • Like 3