IGNORED

Christmas Carol Introduction Sequences - Revealed!

DZ-Jay

It's been six years since Christmas Carol made her "World Debut" at the Classic Gaming Expo 2012. Six years, wow! And yet, it feels like it just happened the other day.

Anyway, it occurred to me that I never published the cut-scenes as videos for anybody to see without having to play the game all the way to the end. Even though the cut-scenes are some of the coolest things in the game, back then I was trying to keep them hidden and mysterious to let the players discover them as they played along. However, six years later and I realized I just forgot about it.

So, I decided that it's better late than never. Below I include all the sequences, including those for the end game, when the player completes all stages and wins the game. Do not be surprised if the last two are slightly different from the ones in your own games -- they were taken inadvertently from a different development branch of the game code. However, the changes are very minor and do not change their tone or message.

These animation sequences introduce each stage of the game, and viewed together offer a glimpse at the overarching story of Christmas Carol as she fulfills her mission. Some of them serve to introduce the characters, and others to describe various game mechanics; but mostly they're just cute little scenes to reward and delight the player as he advances through the game. Yet another idea taken from its Pac-Man roots. ;)

The cut-scenes have also been lauded for being some of the smoothest, colourful, most expressive, and all-around impressive sprite animations on the Intellivision. The technology behind them may not be "pushing the ultimate boundaries of the hardware," but taken collectively the game did push the state-of-the-art in polish and overall quality of production in the Intellivision canon at the time (not counting the few critical bugs found -- which were all fixed, by the way!). The scripted animated sequences were a big part of this.

So, without further ado, I present to you all, the introduction sequences of Christmas Carol vs. The Ghost Of Christmas Presents.

Enjoy! :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 11

is it time for a sequel? :)

It may be, but first I am deep in the middle of another related (although not Intellivision or retro-gaming) project ... :ponder:

It is time for a short story consisting of 5 9 10 11 12 13 14 chapters plus an epilogue. :-D

:lol: You know, mate! :thumbsup:

I don't know if it would be of interest to anyone in this forum, probably not; although I guess to those who played the game and have small children it might. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

Carol and the Winter Warlock? Carol meets the Easter Bunny ? Carol saves Frosty ?

Yes a sequel would be great!!!

Actually, the next one -- which is not even past design stage yet and goes behind other projects -- will follow the same whimsical fun with title puns. It will be called: Christmas Carol and The Resident Weevil. :o

:lol:

• Like 1

Actually, the next one -- which is not even past design stage yet and goes behind other projects -- will follow the same whimsical fun with title puns. It will be called: Christmas Carol and The Resident Weevil. :o

:lol:

lol

Weevils Weevil but they don't Mess with The Christmas Carol? wait or will they... ;)

or she might go to the New World in search of the Carolinas

She's already in the Carolinas, in North Carolina, of course, which befits someone from the North Pole. She comes here for vacation in between Christmas Seasons. :)

-dZ.

• 11 months later...

I know this probably isn’t the place to ask this question, so I apologize in advance. Have you ever considered porting this game to the 2600? I was just thinking of how much fun it would be to have all of the many controller options that would afford. For some reason when it gets close to the holidays this game always comes to mind. I inevitably hunt down an Intellivision and this game to give it a play. I know the rom is available for emulation, but it’s not the same to me. Probably a dumb question. It’s great to have this game available at all!!! I consider this to be the best holiday game ever created.

19 minutes ago, adamchevy said:

I know this probably isn’t the place to ask this question, so I apologize in advance. Have you ever considered porting this game to the 2600? I was just thinking of how much fun it would be to have all of the many controller options that would afford. For some reason when it gets close to the holidays this game always comes to mind. I inevitably hunt down an Intellivision and this game to give it a play. I know the rom is available for emulation, but it’s not the same to me. Probably a dumb question. It’s great to have this game available at all!!! I consider this to be the best holiday game ever created.

I'm not sure dZ is on AA anymore. When the site switched over to the new version he mentioned he was having trouble accessing it and said he'd be leaving. 

• Like 1