28 minutes ago, ralphb said:

Yes, sure, there is 32K, SAMS with 32 MB, serial port, parallel port, general I/O, CD sound, USB mouse ... and P-Code. 😉  The GIO has two special pins which I'll demo in the next video.

Oh wow... P-code functionality! To me that by itself is worth the whole project :)

Well done!

By the way, you don't need a space between WRITELN and the parenthesis in P-code. Not sure why you've had that issue.

9 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

Oh wow... P-code functionality! To me that by itself is worth the whole project :)

If you open a P-Code card you see that it consists (almost) entirely of ROM and GROM chips.  In other words, it is mostly software, but it needs a special environment to run, which I provide with the SDD.  The ROM and GROM files reside on the disk, which makes it easy to hack the P-system.  In fact, I eventually plan to speed up the disk access further by bypassing the slow VDP RAM -- it remains to be seen how feasible that idea is.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ralphb said:

If you open a P-Code card you see that it consists (almost) entirely of ROM and GROM chips.  In other words, it is mostly software, but it needs a special environment to run, which I provide with the SDD.  The ROM and GROM files reside on the disk, which makes it easy to hack the P-system.  In fact, I eventually plan to speed up the disk access further by bypassing the slow VDP RAM -- it remains to be seen how feasible that idea is.

Yes that opens up a lot of possibilities indeed. Is the current disk access speed similar to the original hardware or faster?

7 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

Yes that opens up a lot of possibilities indeed. Is the current disk access speed similar to the original hardware or faster?

It's faster, but by how much I haven't measured.  Since normally, all the main programs (Main, Filer, Editor, etc.) are loaded sector-wise from floppy disk, having RAM disk-like access should speed this up quite nicely.  Also, you don't need to disk jockey with floppies, which is another benefit.

I'll do a side by side if I got time to prepare the disks and set up two systems.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ralphb said:

It's faster, but by how much I haven't measured.  Since normally, all the main programs (Main, Filer, Editor, etc.) are loaded sector-wise from floppy disk, having RAM disk-like access should speed this up quite nicely.  Also, you don't need to disk jockey with floppies, which is another benefit.

I'll do a side by side if I got time to prepare the disks and set up two systems.

I'll try to do the comparison this evening using your video demonstration as a benchmark. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vorticon said:

I'll try to do the comparison this evening using your video demonstration as a benchmark. 

Keep in mind I have a European system! 😊  (No idea how much slower that is compared to a US system.)

If you watch Futurama and are as looking forward to this hardware as I am, you'll get this joke....

6 Totally Outrageous Things You Can Buy at Equine Affaire ...

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, ralphb said:

Yes, sure, there is 32K, SAMS with 32 MB, serial port, parallel port, general I/O, Wifi, CD sound, USB mouse ... and P-Code. 😉  The GIO has two special pins which I'll demo in the next video.

EDIT: Forgot wifi ...

Whoa. What is CD sound?

16 hours ago, Asmusr said:

Whoa. What is CD sound?

Strictly speaking, it's Half-CD sound, i.e., 44.1 kHz audio with 8 bit resolution.  I could bump this up to 12 bits resolution, but I cannot hear a big difference.  The audio is piped into the TMS 9919 so that it's merged by the beeps from the TI and you hear it from your TV/monitor.  I think I presented the feature in my previous video.

You need to convert a WAV or MP3 file to plain PCM format, but then can play back the PCM file by CALL PLAY(<file>).  It's non-blocking, so you can use it in games, or simply as background music while typing in a BASIC program. 😉

• Like 9