I'm starting to get a tingle up my spine like the the end is within 6 months.  I hope my hunch is right...

20 hours ago, ralphb said:

P1200837.thumb.JPG.96ba3e5a1902b3607f56f29e00ec4a26.JPG

Going to make a quick suggestion here if this is something you have not already considered.  With the final production board, have a hole in each corner so the SDD-99 can be secured in some kind of 3D printed enclosure.  Not sure from the photo if that may require 90° LED's or maybe some of the external connectors to extend further out????

Myself, I hate seeing exposed electronics out from the side of a console.  

Between dust, potential cat hair, a drip from a drinking glass, etc., too much risk of damaging the board.  I can just imagine one of my cats jumping from the desk with her back toenails scratching the board.

Please note I am not suggesting you should also design the enclosure yourself unless you already were planning to do so.  Just suggesting that if you were not going to offer the enclosure, that someone else with the 3D printing skills could design a board and offer it themselves and with mounting points, it makes the task that much easier.

My 2 cents.

Beery

• Like 5

20 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

Going to make a quick suggestion here if this is something you have not already considered.  With the final production board, have a hole in each corner so the SDD-99 can be secured in some kind of 3D printed enclosure.

You're absolutely right, Beery!  I'm planning on adding a bunch of holes to the board.  Probably not in the corners, as those contain the fiduciaries for manufacturing, but somewhere on the board.  I also made sure there is enough space between TI and the board for a case.

EDIT: Err, I meant fiducials, not fiduciaries. 🤭

Edited by ralphb
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ralphb said:

You're absolutely right, Beery!  I'm planning on adding a bunch of holes to the board.  Probably not in the corners, as those contain the fiduciaries for manufacturing, but somewhere on the board.  I also made sure there is enough space between TI and the board for a case.

Great.  When I took a second look at the board, that jumped out at me a bit. 

I wasn't too sure with the mini (?) SD card connector placement if it would be accessible external from an enclosure or not.  I don't know if it has been explained earlier in the thread or not, but I am always backing up my SD cards in my DREMS for the HFDC especially when I am coding to avoid the risk of losing some code.  Those images can be read by TIDIR as well.  The TIPI files I can back up through a Windows shared folder.  So, I am hoping either a Windows share can be created, or the files on the SD card for the SDD-99 can be read and at least backed up very easily.

I have an SD card for a SCSI, and while I can back it up, it is basically making an image of the card due to the way SCSI partitions everything.  I don't quite like this as much, but it is what it is.

Beery

33 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

So, I am hoping either a Windows share can be created, or the files on the SD card for the SDD-99 can be read and at least backed up very easily.

The micro SD card is using the stock FAT filesystem, i.e., FAT32 upto 32 GB and exFAT for larger cards.

Serving a Windows share would require a lot of coding, unless there is some C library out there.  Note that I cannot fall back to some OS, like Linux on the TIPI, so I have to do everything "from scratch".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ralphb said:

The micro SD card is using the stock FAT filesystem, i.e., FAT32 upto 32 GB and exFAT for larger cards.

Serving a Windows share would require a lot of coding, unless there is some C library out there.  Note that I cannot fall back to some OS, like Linux on the TIPI, so I have to do everything "from scratch".

As long as it uses the FAT32 system and files on the SD card can be copied easily for a backup or file(s) added easily, that is all that really matters.  

17 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

As long as it uses the FAT32 system and files on the SD card can be copied easily for a backup or file(s) added easily, that is all that really matters.  

You can backup those files even automatically to a server, not by using shares, but by running the SDD server program.  Of course, backup is just one application, you can use any PC that supports Python just like a file server that is using a custom protocol.

EDIT: Let's be more clear.  You run the server program on a PC/Mac, and the SDD connects to it, so that you can copy files back and forth, or even just open remote files like they were local files.

Edited by ralphb
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2