IGNORED

Cannot load firmware onto FB9

Tried 3. Same shit. Im 2 seconds from throwing this thing out.

It is either a bad image download/write .. or the Atari Flashback SD hardware is faulty. I suspect your problem is using a new 16 gb SD card. Try an older smaller one as the Flashback devices appear to have issues with certain newer SD cards.

Edited by thetick1

You can confirm the SD Card is working by copying the save states to the SD Card (using the Atgames menu).

If you can copy the save states to the SD Card, it's good.

Copy the atari_update.img to the root of the SD Card and insert it with the console turned off. Turn the console on and you should be prompted to update the firmware.

• Like 1

The SD card is the exact one being used in 1 of the videos, and i dont have or ever see cards smaller.

The Flashback Portables would only work with 8 MB cards or smaller, I think this limit may be in effect for the FB9; here is a workaround:

I was able to use a larger SD card using the Retron77 community build which images an SD card to a much smaller size that is tolerated. Placing the fb9 firmware image (different type of image) on the reimaged card did the trick but I also had to do the extra step of ejecting the SD while the unit was on (it didn't recognize it), reinserting it and toggling the power switch - then it finally prompted to update the firmware.

• Like 1

The Flashback Portables would only work with 8 MB cards or smaller, I think this limit may be in effect for the FB9; here is a workaround:

I was able to use a larger SD card using the Retron77 community build which images an SD card to a much smaller size that is tolerated. Placing the fb9 firmware image (different type of image) on the reimaged card did the trick but I also had to do the extra step of ejecting the SD while the unit was on (it didn't recognize it), reinserting it and toggling the power switch - then it finally prompted to update the firmware.

Wish this was the case, I did manage to find an 8gb card, still doesnt work. However now I can finally add roms to the portable.

I've had a crap-load of probs with SD cards and various devices. I did come across the SD card Association's official Formatting software:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

I imagine these new SD Ultra capacity cards won't work in a Flashback, 128TB!

If it's any use here is a guide to SD terminology and capacity ranges:

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/choices/file_system/index.html

I'm hoping to get an FB9, I was so happy to get SD cards into the FB portable :-)

I've had a crap-load of probs with SD cards and various devices. I did come across the SD card Association's official Formatting software:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

I imagine these new SD Ultra capacity cards won't work in a Flashback, 128TB!

If it's any use here is a guide to SD terminology and capacity ranges:

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/choices/file_system/index.html

I'm hoping to get an FB9, I was so happy to get SD cards into the FB portable :-)

What are the odds this fixes the problem? I dont feel like wasting anymore time or money into anything Atgames related. I stand corrected. They still f@#$^ng suck.

• 4 weeks later...

What are the odds this fixes the problem? I dont feel like wasting anymore time or money into anything Atgames related. I stand corrected. They still f@#$^ng suck.

You can format SD cards to less than full capacity. Follow the links supplied by RAShepherd above and use the official formatting software — it prevents a host of problems that can occur with using your PC or Mac OS. You can instruct it to only use part of the capacity, and choose a file system that best suits your device.

I am using a 16 GiB Sandisk Ultra card with default FAT32 formatting with no issues on a Flashback 9 Gold, so haven’t needed to do this.

• 1 month later...

I have the same exact problem with my unit. Does anyone know of a fix?

yes .... Long Format an OLD SD card (1 , 2 or 4 GB) so you know it is old. And then copy the image.

Stop at GameStop get one for .99 cents. I picked up 4 of them.

https://www.gamestop.com/accessories/wii-dsi-memory-sd-20gb/74306

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a similar problem with my FB9 Gold unit, but it wouldn't even show the update screen. I tried several different SD cards of various sizes and brands, but nothing. It wouldn't even copy the save states to the card, so it wasn't recognized at all. Took the console apart, shed a light inside the card slot and noticed that I could not see one of the pins inside it; thought it was broken. Desoldered the metal enclosure, lifted it and saw that the pin was still there, it had just bended a little into its plastic housing. Lifted it with a small screwdriver to the level of the other pins, soldered the enclosure back, put the console together and it worked on the first try! Just a heads up for anyone that is facing the same problem and has exausted all other options (SD compatibility, size etc.), it could be one of the pins not making contact.