IGNORED

HSC Season 10 - Game 1/10 - DEMON ATTACK

scalpel

Yeah, that killed me over and over, even when I thought I wasn't doing that bad. I tried playing at the "Advanced Normal" level and, although I didn't do much better points-wise, I did enjoy the game a lot more, for I felt like the pace was fairer. I don't mind posting a score of 50 when people posts 9K, just as long as it is fun to play and I enjoy it. I just couldn't this one. :(

I'm not bitter or anything, and I do admit that I suck at these games now (well, I've always sucked at them, I just try to forget it). I understand that the HSC is a competition and the challenge to the players is desirable, so playing the high difficulty levels as a matter of course is a good thing. You guys are all at a different league. :o

I just wish there was an HSC for wimps like me, were we could play Snafu and Frog Bog and Math Fun, or practice a round of Loco-Motion in the slowest setting (well, maybe not at the slowest setting). :grin:

I was also having a bad day, with work and other crap, and I thought that playing a video game would cheer me up. Well, Demon Attack at high speed just pissed me right off the edge of madness! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry. I may give it another go by the week-end, I don't know. In any case, please don't nerf the HSC on the count of wimps like me, that's not the point. Go play and have fun and enjoy the challenge. :)

-dZ.

I was going to try to pep talk you back in, but then I saw Bamse's newest score :o I think I'm going to quit as well :D

• Like 1

So, I have been playing the game a bit today, and I have to ask this question. Is there a bug in the game when you are doing, perhaps, a little too well?

Let me explain what I mean. Every single game that I have played where I am doing really well, racking up the extra lives, I get to a point where the game crashes to a black screen. This has happened on an original Master Component, a Super Video Arcade and an Intellivision II. I have tried two different cartridges and it happened on both. It seems to happen when I am up around 7 or 8 extra lives and haven't died a single time yet.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? It is making my attack on the current high score very challenging, as every time I am in the zone and on my way to a really great score, it freezes up.

Just curious. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I don't think I'm doing well enough for that yet :D I haven't had it freeze up on me, however during the boss fight when the little ships come out...If there's too much going on the screen it slows down for a second. It's kinda similar to the later levels of Mouse Trap when it's going really fast. The whole thing slows down. In Demon attack it only happens briefly, but in Mouse Trap it would be the entire level.

I have seen that slowdown as well. It also seems to affect the movement of your ship, which can be a little scary at times. Quite interesting to see, as I never spent any time playing on this level before.

I don't think I'm doing well enough for that yet :D I haven't had it freeze up on me, however during the boss fight when the little ships come out...If there's too much going on the screen it slows down for a second. It's kinda similar to the later levels of Mouse Trap when it's going really fast. The whole thing slows down. In Demon attack it only happens briefly, but in Mouse Trap it would be the entire level.

I tried playing a few rounds, but since you set the game at the highest single-player difficulty, I just sucked at it.

After several tries, I got very lucky and got over 1,000 points, but it's just too frustrating, and I don't have the stamina nor the inclination to become an expert in every game. I guess I'm just not HSC material. :(

For the record, below are my entries for this Demon Attack on game #10 (CLEAR):

My first try at Demon Attack in years -- Boo!

attachicon.gifIMG_4753.JPG

My second try ... some progress!

attachicon.gifIMG_4754.JPG

On my third try I got very lucky!!!

attachicon.gifIMG_4755.JPG

After that, I just never could get anything over 600 points, and I tried for about an hour. :(

Thank you, Scalpel, for taking the reins and re-ignating the HSC, but I'm afraid I just can't play against such high-skill challengers. It's not really all that fun playing a game in its hardest difficulty if you seldom play it.

Good luck to all, and Godspeed! :thumbsup:

-dZ.

You're welcome Dz-Jay :)

Don't worry, next game will be less frustrating :)

I tried playing a few rounds, but since you set the game at the highest single-player difficulty, I just sucked at it.

After several tries, I got very lucky and got over 1,000 points, but it's just too frustrating, and I don't have the stamina nor the inclination to become an expert in every game. I guess I'm just not HSC material. :(

For the record, below are my entries for this Demon Attack on game #10 (CLEAR):

My first try at Demon Attack in years -- Boo!

attachicon.gifIMG_4753.JPG

My second try ... some progress!

attachicon.gifIMG_4754.JPG

On my third try I got very lucky!!!

attachicon.gifIMG_4755.JPG

After that, I just never could get anything over 600 points, and I tried for about an hour. :(

Thank you, Scalpel, for taking the reins and re-ignating the HSC, but I'm afraid I just can't play against such high-skill challengers. It's not really all that fun playing a game in its hardest difficulty if you seldom play it.

Good luck to all, and Godspeed! :thumbsup:

-dZ.

Yes you can ! :)

If you press left or right immediately after you die, you'll respawn on the side of the screen instead of where you died.

It helps a lot ! Thanks Jason!

Go play and have fun and enjoy the challenge. :)

-dZ.

We want you have fun too :) So, let's play again for a while before the next game ;)

Argh, so close. Right, I'm having another go :D

Congrats !!!!!!

attachicon.gifda (2).jpg

yeah ! But... there is a problem with your nickname ? You mean "Mister-Intellivision", don't you ? ;)

I've had nothing to do all day so have been playing Demon Attack for well over 4 hours. My PB's are directly related to how sad and boring my life is at that moment in time :-D

Ahah ! Lucky you. I'll try to play this morning.... :)

By the way, congrats for your very nice score !!!!

• Like 1

So, I have been playing the game a bit today, and I have to ask this question. Is there a bug in the game when you are doing, perhaps, a little too well?

Let me explain what I mean. Every single game that I have played where I am doing really well, racking up the extra lives, I get to a point where the game crashes to a black screen. This has happened on an original Master Component, a Super Video Arcade and an Intellivision II. I have tried two different cartridges and it happened on both. It seems to happen when I am up around 7 or 8 extra lives and haven't died a single time yet.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? It is making my attack on the current high score very challenging, as every time I am in the zone and on my way to a really great score, it freezes up.

Just curious. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, this has happened to me once. I thought it was just because I was playing for quite a long time and my Inty got a bit hot. I has 6 lives when it froze and the screen went blank.

Yes, I've noticed this too and as mentioned above, it only effects my ship. Thought my controller was becoming unresponsive for a second.

I'm all too quick to blame my intellivision when something goes wrong and forget its probably the games fault.

Thanks for sharing guys, puts my mind at easy that I know my console isn't about to crap out on me :)

Yes, I've noticed this too and as mentioned above, it only effects my ship. Thought my controller was becoming unresponsive for a second.

I'm all too quick to blame my intellivision when something goes wrong and forget its probably the games fault.

Thanks for sharing guys, puts my mind at easy that I know my console isn't about to crap out on me :)

It did three times this morning. I changed the cart, but nothing change... the screen froze when i score 7 466 points... 2 lives left... :/

Thanks Scalpel :)

You're welcome :)

That's exactly right, and like I said, I saw it happen on three different consoles using two different cartridges under the same circumstances. I appears to happen when you are about to gain your seventh or eighth extra life. (I can't go back and check what Bamse said. I think he said that he had seven when it happened, so it probably crashes to black when you get extra life number eight.)

Seems like a common problem then. When mine froze it went black which I think was what happened with dpisacane

• Like 1

I think, as you pointed out, that is a different issue than the one I am experiencing (and you have as well), meaning the "crash to a black screen" issue.

I have had other weird things happen. One time my ship stopped moving and all of the enemy ships started randomly floating across the screen and wrapping around to the other side. It looked like a screen saver. Another time, when I started the game, my beginning score was 10,000. So when I finished it was somewhere around 16,000. Those I chalk up to overheating or bad cartridge contacts. They sure were weird, though.

Although scalpels froze with 2 lives left so I'm not sure it is completely to do with the amount of lives you have left.