IGNORED

If i already have an 800XL, I don't need a 5200. Convince me otherwise.

VicViper

So i've had a Atari 8 bit computer of some sort or another for years, and i've got the SD drive to match. Recently aqcuired a 5200 on the cheap, and now that i've got it all cleaned up, I find myself torn over what to do with it. For years i've contended that the computers are way better than dealing with a 5200; it's the size of a microwave, the controllers are despicable and i can get prety much every game for 5200 on the 8 bits. Still, it is nice and shiny. Prove my distaste for the 5200 is unjustified.

With the exception of the standard controllers (of which there are a number of ways to get around using them,) I just really enjoy the feel of playing and using the 5200. The big chunky cartridges are much more satisfying to use than the dinky 800/XL/XE carts. The console itself is just wonderfully black and shiny (and yes, BIG!) And it's a joy to collect for, as nearly all of the carts are affordable, with just one Holy Grail cart (and even that can be had for a fraction of what the 2600 Grail carts go for!) And the library is of a reasonable size... just 69 vintage games, almost all of which are fun to play.

I thoroughly understand those that feel they don't "need" a 5200. I felt the same way myself, being perfectly happy with just the 8-bit computers from 1984-2010, when I also came across one cheaply. But I gave it chance, got some alternative controller options, and started digging into it's library, and just fell in love with the beast. I now use it probably more than any other machine (thanks to a programmable multicart and the 2600 adapter.)

• Like 4

With the exception of the standard controllers (of which there are a number of ways to get around using them,) I just really enjoy the feel of playing and using the 5200. The big chunky cartridges are much more satisfying to use than the dinky 800/XL/XE carts. The console itself is just wonderfully black and shiny (and yes, BIG!) And it's a joy to collect for, as nearly all of the carts are affordable, with just one Holy Grail cart (and even that can be had for a fraction of what the 2600 Grail carts go for!) And the library is of a reasonable size... just 69 vintage games, almost all of which are fun to play.

I thoroughly understand those that feel they don't "need" a 5200. I felt the same way myself, being perfectly happy with just the 8-bit computers from 1984-2010, when I also came across one cheaply. But I gave it chance, got some alternative controller options, and started digging into it's library, and just fell in love with the beast. I now use it probably more than any other machine (thanks to a programmable multicart and the 2600 adapter.)

What are my "Other Options" for the joystick? also, how does the Trak Ball stack up to others of the era? I'm not super impressed with my 2600 trak ball.

What are my "Other Options" for the joystick? also, how does the Trak Ball stack up to others of the era? I'm not super impressed with my 2600 trak ball.

There's many, many threads on joystick options, but in brief, there are: 1. Wico joysticks, 2. Coin Controls Competition Pro joysticks, 3. 90's PC joystick with bohoki's adapter, 4. 2600 joystick with Masterplay adapter (or a homebrew clone) 5. 2600 joystick or Sega gamepad with Redemption adapter, or 6. Rebuilding the standard joysticks with either Best Electronic parts or aluminim foil. (I've tried all 6 options, and prefer 1 and 3 for full compatibility with all games, while 2, 4, and 5 are all good for non-analog games. 6 works, but you're still stuck with a non-centering joystick and side-mounted fire buttons, so it's less-great option IMHO)

The 5200 Track Ball is really nice actually... unlike the 2600 track-ball, it gives you full analog control, so it feels like an arcade controller when using it with games like Missile Command and Centipede. The buttons are a bit stiff unfortunately, but still quite usable. I've seen posts here where people have modded them to use better arcade buttons, but I haven't tried that myself.

Is Bohoki still active on Atariage? Sounds like the most effective and reasonable priced option but a quick googling didn't find me much.I'd

I'd agree that his solution should give you the most bang for your buck. As far as I know he's still active... he still had a few adapters available back in October...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268574-some-more-15-pin-gameport-pc-to-5200-adapters/

1. What a previous poster said - the track ball for the 5200 is exquisite and makes the ports of classics Centipede and Missile Command the best

2. Two exclusive games..... Realsports Baseball and Space Dungeon. I know having to deal with the 5200 controllers can be a pain in the ass but when you have two working sticks and a coupler Space Dungeon alone is worth the aggravation that can be the Atari 5200.

• Like 4

1. What a previous poster said - the track ball for the 5200 is exquisite and makes the ports of classics Centipede and Missile Command the best

2. Two exclusive games..... Realsports Baseball and Space Dungeon. I know having to deal with the 5200 controllers can be a pain in the ass but when you have two working sticks and a coupler Space Dungeon alone is worth the aggravation that can be the Atari 5200.

I think Countermeasure is exclusive as well, and one of my personal favorites.

Everyone knows that the 5200 version of Centipede blows away the 8-bit version, same with Dig Dug and Qix!

FWIW the 5200 version of Dig Dug is actually also on the 8-bit, I think Atari realized how lackluster the original port was and then put out the 5200 version months later. It's pretty confusing since they share the same part number and both were released with the original brown label.

Honestly you dont need a 5200 - Id argue that the only good reason is the play a slightly better version of Star Raiders - and I mean slight. All the 5200 games were converted to the 8bit with much better control IMHO. The 5200 trackball is sweet, but there is one for the 8bit as well.

The 5200 is too big to really enjoy - Mine never sees the light of day and Im pretty sure the controllers dont work despite getting the flex circuits fixed a long time ago.

Just my $0.02

I actually forgot about Tempest......Holy Tie-Breakers Bat-Man! Other than buying an actual arcade machine the 5200 Tempest with a track ball is FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!

Like Bo just to say in 1992.........Just Do It!

5200 Tempest will work with the arcade version's spinner. Dan Kramer wired one up to the CX53 Trak-Ball Controller a couple of years ago for the last Davis Atari Party. It was incredible.

And the CX53 Trak-Ball Controller is reason enough to own a 5200. Especially if you have 2 of 'em, or 4.

There is also now, Realsports Curling and Ratcatcher. The homebrew scene isn't amazing but it's pretty good. I'd recommend the 5200 for the analog-stick version of Star Raiders alone, it's night and day (along with all the other controls at your fingertips). And as others have mentioned, the trak-ball is fantastic (even though it is an abomination in terms of how it functions internally, so I've heard and sort of agree with though the results are great). I've never had an issue using the joystick but I've always played Atari games with my thumb on the top of the joystick (same with the 2600 sticks) so maybe that helps. And as has already been stated, Tempest is lights out.

• Like 1

Most of the 5200 titles have been ported to the 8-Bit computer line by Homesoft. (the 5200 QIX is much better than the 8-Bit version, btw,)

I have both, but as long as nothing comes that's 5200 exclusive, I probably won't hook it up for a while.. Although the joysticks are perfect for Dreadnaught Factor.

Edited by Inky

Everyone knows that the 5200 version of Centipede blows away the 8-bit version, same with Dig Dug and Qix!

Yes, but since you can just play them on an 8-bit too, I guess they just blow themselves away. :D

And, yes, as said above, the same version of Dig Dug was also officially put out for the 8-bits; and

I've done some updates to it, which basically make it a better version than the original.

• Like 1

Ratcatcher actually got ported to the 8-bits, twice even! Once without three player support and again with it.

I've made the code available for Curling, so some enterprising individual could port that too.

Fair enough, I wasn't sure about Ratcatcher. I also got Xari Arena from AtariAge, that's a 5200 exclusive, yes?

And I'm a complete (box) game biased collector, too, so I tend to overlook which games have had code files released for other systems because I'm simply not paying attention to those. My loss, but I care as much for the packaging (especially Vectrex games with overlays!) as the games themselves.