IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

What video mode is this game built in? Is it a custom video mode that the pcb/chipset makes possible or are you guys really good at making 7800 fat mode look like it's on a diet?

Rikki & Vikki runs exclusively in 320B, most of the "magic" is achieved through careful drawing management rather than with the cartridge's residents. The biggest help we get from our mapper (Souper) is the split paging for Sally and Maria. This way any of Maria's texture fetches can be pulled from different banks in ROM or EXRAM without interfering with whatever Sally is doing.

I'm guessing the "good" ending requires a two player mode play through? If so, I know what my son will be playing along with his pop!

The story and content changes, but as the developer I can't say much more :)

However...

Things do get pretty intense at the end of the game, might want to look up the ending beforehand.

I don't want to be responsible for spooking your kid.

And sorry if the 'drama' started with me. I just like the chance to save a few bucks if I can. It wasn't a direct complaint about the price being too high.

It didn't, no worries.

Edited by TailChao
  • Like 2

I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this has already been said, but with a few titles like these, a 7800 mini with HDMI or a Retron77-like machine would be a no brainer.

I have this game on Steam and I can't wait for the 7800 version.

As an aside, I'd kill for a Steam version of Zaku. I have the Lynx cart but my old Lynx screen is so faded.

Heyyy the TIA can sound OK. I made a couple short renditions of Rikki and Vikki songs for the tia just as an experiment a while ago.

Sand

Metal

Jeez man, I already loved the soundtrack but hearing these makes me think you're some kind of musical wizard!! Come payday I've got to buy a copy! (and of the game of course but I do love me some electronic music)

• Like 1

Jeez man, I already loved the soundtrack but hearing these makes me think you're some kind of musical wizard!! Come payday I've got to buy a copy! (and of the game of course but I do love me some electronic music)

Because I'm apparently a masochist:

Rock Cavern 1

Flame Cavern

bins for all rikki & vikki related stuff I've released on TIA

Technically "TIATune" was originally made for Rikki & Vikki, based on what frequencies I could use on the TIA, but with more channels and pitches obviously ;)

BupBoop "TIATune" - this is actually the original

TIAtune (on TIA) - this is actually the cover

Edited by RushJet1
  • Like 5

I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this has already been said, but with a few titles like these, a 7800 mini with HDMI or a Retron77-like machine would be a no brainer.

I have this game on Steam and I can't wait for the 7800 version.

As an aside, I'd kill for a Steam version of Zaku. I have the Lynx cart but my old Lynx screen is so faded.

Speaking of HDMI... will this game benefit from the artifacting (color blending) in 320b if viewed on an HDMI TV, on a stock 7800 using RF output? Or is an old-school CRT TV required for the color blending?

In other words... Is it the analog TV, or the analog output from the 7800, or only the combination of both, that allows the blending magic?

Speaking of HDMI... will this game benefit from the artifacting (color blending) in 320b if viewed on an HDMI TV, on a stock 7800 using RF output? Or is an old-school CRT TV required for the color blending?

In other words... Is it the analog TV, or the analog output from the 7800, or only the combination of both, that allows the blending magic?

CRT TVs by the nature of how they work is how the color blending takes place.

The videos that have been shown were done through s-video into a capture card, so the videos would represent what it would look like on a modern display. I'm not sure that video has been made of how it looks through CRT on RF or composite has it?

Did you look into getting official licensing from Atari so you could put the logo, etc on the box like in the 80s?

Atari isn't the same Atari anymore. It's just a shell company pimping the name for any money that can be squeezed out of fit. Giving them money for anything is a frivolous thing to do.

• Like 3

Atari isn't the same Atari anymore. It's just a shell company pimping the name for any money that can be squeezed out of fit. Giving them money for anything is a frivolous thing to do.

True, but pretty sure this "Atari" still has full rights to the logo, no? So they'd still be the appropriate party to contact in this instance. Personal feelings about this company aside.

True, but pretty sure this "Atari" still has full rights to the logo, no? So they'd still be the appropriate party to contact in this instance. Personal feelings about this company aside.

Just drop this happy horseshit right now. “Fauxtari” has ignored the classic Atari home brew and hobbyist scene for decades - just as they should. The current entity is whoring off the nostalgia of millions of worldwide fans, and the tiny bits of money involved in home brews is below their notice. Why do you want to screw over the entire scene to put a few more dollars in their pocket and vastly complicate the lives and hobbies of the few dozen dedicated programmers still writing titles for these long-obsolete consoles?

• Like 8

Just drop this happy horseshit right now. Fauxtari has ignored the classic Atari home brew and hobbyist scene for decades - just as they should. The current entity is whoring off the nostalgia of millions of worldwide fans, and the tiny bits of money involved in home brews is below their notice. Why do you want to screw over the entire scene to put a few more dollars in their pocket and vastly complicate the lives and hobbies of the few dozen dedicated programmers still writing titles for these long-obsolete consoles?

Woah there. I just answered a question posed by someone else. Clearly I've struck a nerve! Now back to Rikki and Vikki and homebrew awesomeness please!

• Like 1

Just drop this happy horseshit right now. “Fauxtari” has ignored the classic Atari home brew and hobbyist scene for decades - just as they should. The current entity is whoring off the nostalgia of millions of worldwide fans, and the tiny bits of money involved in home brews is below their notice. Why do you want to screw over the entire scene to put a few more dollars in their pocket and vastly complicate the lives and hobbies of the few dozen dedicated programmers still writing titles for these long-obsolete consoles?

I dunno. They had gotten the Jaguar Podcast merch taken down from redbubble. They are patent trolls, and I agree that nobody should give them a red cent, but they are effectively threatening small groups to protect "their" trademarks. I actually got into a heated argument with them on their facebook page about their trademark trolling. The transcript is on the "That Ataribox" thread in the 2600 forum.

• Like 3

I don't actually own an HDTV, so I can only answer based upon testing this on friends' equipment. If you're playing over RF you'll get blending but how the image looks is dependent upon the analog decoder. Most seem to figure it out, but most manufacturers don't really care about how good old game equipment looks on their new televisions.

The videos that have been shown were done through s-video into a capture card, so the videos would represent what it would look like on a modern display. I'm not sure that video has been made of how it looks through CRT on RF or composite has it?

Assuming the television has S-Video in, it'll probably look close to this. But again, it depends upon the analog decoder - most aren't very good. The videos I uploaded were just straight S-Video captures. Only the leveling was adjusted.

Did you look into getting official licensing from Atari so you could put the logo, etc on the box like in the 80s?

I did, in particular when the dual 7800 and New VCS release were still on the table. But after the Ataco mess it was tossed out pretty fast.

Both the stylized "ATARI" text and Fuji symbol are their trademarks, yes. Neither can be used without the owner's permission.
  • Like 1

I dunno. They had gotten the Jaguar Podcast merch taken down from redbubble. They are patent trolls, and I agree that nobody should give them a red cent, but they are effectively threatening small groups to protect "their" trademarks. I actually got into a heated argument with them on their facebook page about their trademark trolling. The transcript is on the "That Ataribox" thread in the 2600 forum.

Totally agree! Furthermore, and this is my personal feeling on the matter, but would acquiring the rights to use the Atari name even be something constructive to persue, regardless of how the company feels about us (i.e., the retrogaming community) using the name? Not just for this game, but any homebrew game? I mean, that's additional money that would have to be budgeted, which could be put to better use in promoting the game, the developers, and work on future projects. Why hide what is very clearly an excellent quality title behind the banner of a "known" brand entity like Atari. To me, it would be far better to allow the work to establish a unique name for the folks that actually developed it. Using the Atari brand would water down that effort honestly.

Nevermind the fact that you'd be begging for the use of the Atari branding from a company that, quite frankly, doesn't appear to give two red cents about this community beyond simple money-grabs, and then paying for the privilege.

Edited by rockman_x_2002
  • Like 2

Totally agree! Furthermore, and this is my personal feeling on the matter, but would acquiring the rights to use the Atari name even be something constructive to persue, regardless of how the company feels about us (i.e., the retrogaming community) using the name? Not just for this game, but any homebrew game?

I'd prefer to have a "stamp of approval" from the console's manufacturer, whether it's Atari or otherwise. It'd make for a better and more stable environment for all parties involved (manufacturer, developer, and customer). But yes, it's not always feasible.

Oh hey it's...

TACO... MONDAY?!

What could possibly justify that linguistic clash? Our delay is up. The Atari 7800 version of Rikki & Vikki will be available for order directly from PenguiNet on February 18, 2019. Submit your Misery Land tickets at the turnstile.

• Like 13

They are asshats. Both modern day Atari and Coleco can diaf for all I care.

Patent / trademark trolls indeed. Funnily, Chris Cardillio (of modern day Coleco) claimed to own the "Cingular" trademark, yet go into any ATT store, and ask about flip phones. They make a "Nostalgic" 4G flip phone with the name "Cingular Flip", so I'm not sure how they can claim to own the trademark when the original parent company (AT&T) is still using it.

I'd prefer to have a "stamp of approval" from the console's manufacturer, whether it's Atari or otherwise. It'd make for a better and more stable environment for all parties involved (manufacturer, developer, and customer). But yes, it's not always feasible.

Oh hey it's...

TACO... MONDAY?!

What could possibly justify that linguistic clash? Our delay is up. The Atari 7800 version of Rikki & Vikki will be available for order directly from PenguiNet on February 18, 2019. Submit your Misery Land tickets at the turnstile.

midnight on the 18th? ?