IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

9 hours ago, TailChao said:

Only very early on, long before the 7800 was even chosen as the target platform.

I eventually decided against it for clarity. You've got two players characters and enemies, all of whom can pick up solid objects and mess with the stage geometry. Even with split screen, there'd be too much risk for an enemy flipping a switch or some other element offscreen and the players not catching it. So everything was made single screen and the vertical wrapping added to allow layouts to be denser.

@TailChao

You’ve executed excellent work!

You’ve provided for retro-gamers and the 7800 (and then of course ; for the 7800-retro-cult-junkie-crowd), what Bubble Bobble is for Sega Master and NES!

That (!) should says a lot!

????

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TailChao said:

Heads up for anyone still on the fence about ordering a copy, we're down to 138 units in stock.

So what your saying is get ready for Rikki and Vikki II Starring Misery.

I had an elaborate plot about R and V and the kids but was too vulgar.... 

• Haha 2

On 1/10/2020 at 11:00 AM, TailChao said:

Heads up for anyone still on the fence about ordering a copy, we're down to 138 units in stock.

25 minutes ago, TailChao said:

Nah, more like "I'm ready for all this junk to be out of my house"

So is the packaging a bit of a limited supply thing and you'll continue to manufacture/sell loose carts or is that going to be it total? Either way I'm real pleased with my purchase so far of what I could try the game, I had to source another 7800 which I'm waiting on.

1 hour ago, Bratwurst said:

So is the packaging a bit of a limited supply thing and you'll continue to manufacture/sell loose carts or is that going to be it total? Either way I'm real pleased with my purchase so far of what I could try the game, I had to source another 7800 which I'm waiting on.

After we've sold all 550 I'd like to manufacture more copies as long as there's demand. This is outlined in the first post, but essentially I'd like for the game to be available for purchase as long as there's interest in playing it. I just can't guarantee that will happen soon, especially considering the game was not commercially successful.

Because the whole package (box, manual, feelies, plastics, and board) are designed for bulk production (i.e. we can't just make one or two copies, it has to be in the hundreds) the whole loose cartridge thing isn't really feasible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up this game on Steam a while back and just got around to playing it. It's quite a bit of fun, definitely a well-polished game with excellent gameplay. If I still had a 7800, I'd definitely buy a copy for it. Hopefully sometime in the future I'll be able to do so.

CONGRATULATIONS to Rikki & Vikki for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote for your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

271071749_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestHomebrewAtari7800.jpg.9396dd71abb576b8db368244da18e956.jpg

• Like 3

1440925601_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Winner-BestHomebrewAtari7800.thumb.png.88cb79692421f826cf5075103767cc8c.png

2019 ATARI HOMEBREW AWARDS RESULTS

Thank you everyone for an amazing event today. Congratulations to all the nominees and the winners! You can watch the replay on Twitch or when it's posted on YouTube tomorrow!

Atari 2600: Best Homebrew ≤4K
1) Amoeba Jump by Dion Olsthoorn "Dionoid"
2) Space Game 2KB by Karl Garrison "Karl G"
3) Caverns by Harold Thijssen

Atari 7800: Best Homebrew
1) Rikki & Vikki by PenguiNet "TailChao"
2) Baby Pac-Man by Bob DeCrecenzo "PacManPlus"
3) Draker Quest II by Clark Otto "frankodragon"

Atari 2600: Best Packaging
1) Rally Racer by More Work Games
2) Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games (packaging by Dave Dries)
3) Wizard of Wor Arcade by Champ Games (packaging by Dave Dries)

Atari 2600: Best WIP
1) Zoo Keeper by Champ Games
2) Ninjish Guy in Low Res World by Vladimir Zuñiga (aka John Von Neumann) "vhzc"
3) Penult by Karl Garrison "Karl G"

Atari 8-Bit/5200: Best Homebrew
1) Gravity Worms - Krzysztof "xxl" Dudek, Jakub "Aceman" Szeląg, Kamil "Vidol" Walaszek
2) Jet Set Willy 2019 - Terence "Tezz" Derby (original game by Matthew Smith)
2) Wasteland - Michael Jaskula

Atari 2600: Best Music & Sound
1) Wizard of Wor Arcade by Champ Games (sound by Mike Haas with Ross Keenum)
2) Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games (sound and music by Ross Keenum)
3) Aardvark by Oscar Toledo Gutiérrez "nanochess" and Thomas Jentzsch (design and coding), Nathan Strum (graphics and packaging)

Atari 2600: Best Graphics
1) Aardvark by Oscar Toledo Gutiérrez "nanochess" and Thomas Jentzsch (design and coding), Nathan Strum (graphics and packaging)
2) Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games (graphics by Nathan Strum)
3) Wizard of Wor Arcade by Champ Games (graphics by Nathan Strum)

Atari 2600: Lifetime Achievement Award
Albert Yarusso

Atari 2600: Best Homebrew
1) Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games
2) Aardvark by Oscar Toledo Gutiérrez "nanochess" and Thomas Jentzsch (design and coding), Nathan Strum (graphics and packaging)
3) Wizard of Wor Arcade by Champ Games

• Like 3

On 2/1/2020 at 4:51 AM, CatPix said:

Rikki and Vikki are seeing some double action!

Hah, I think they've toured most of France by now. It's cool to see the co-op mode demoed around the world.

10 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Congratulations to Rikki & Vikki, winner of the Best 7800 Homebrew!

Thanks, it's sincerely appreciated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

@TailChao

Rikki & Vikki is a really a cool game... 9/10...  (even if very difficult ... but heck, old-school-arcadey games are supposed to be like die-hard); if you don’t plan to do more 7800 games in the first hundred years or so...  what about giving some serious YouTube-7800-programming-lectures...?

Patreon could provide a few well-earned bucks...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Giles N said:

Rikki & Vikki is a really a cool game... 9/10...  (even if very difficult ... but heck, old-school-arcadey games are supposed to be like die-hard); if you don’t plan to do more 7800 games in the first hundred years or so...  what about giving some serious YouTube-7800-programming-lectures...?

Patreon could provide a few well-earned bucks...

13 hours ago, Theallknowingsause said:

I would love to see videos in the style of The 8-bit guy all about programming stuff from Osman.

That or I would like to see Osman post more art because he's seriously talented at drawing as well.

I've gotten a few requests to cover how the game's visual effects work, and want to do a series of writeups regarding these and how the draw optimizations are implemented. But for now I've given this product enough of my time for essentially negative returns and would like to focus on other things.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, TailChao said:

I've gotten a few requests to cover how the game's visual effects work, and want to do a series of writeups regarding these and how the draw optimizations are implemented. But for now I've given this product enough of my time for essentially negative returns and would like to focus on other things.

Very sorry to hear that's this continues to be the case, the game is an exceptional product, through and through. I've nudged at least one other person to buy it. I think you are a demon for keeping the empty slots in the orange cart shell where the label goes, typical of original 7800 cartridges, but I mean that as a compliment, because I respect evilness. The shell itself is really well made btw.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with in the future, hopefully it will be for a platform I already own, if tied to hardware of any sort.

• Haha 1