Jump to content
TailChao

Rikki & Vikki

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, TailChao said:

To be fair, it's extremely difficult to get any visibility on a crowded platform.

Steam has become a nightmare. 😫 You should really try to get your game on Switch before the eShop become crowded as well... Well, it's already crowded to me but at least retro-style games still perform very well there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TesseractE said:

@TailChao  Just had a thought...  Perhaps you might be able to get some more funding by licensing Rikki and Vikki to Polymega if they ever release an Atari module.  They've pre-loaded licensed titles onto each module, so it might be a good opportunity for a wider reach. ^^d

This depends upon the amount of effort involved in adding support for Rikki & Vikki's custom hardware to their module. If we're going to have to invest in a port, I'd rather it be on something more accessible like the Nintendo Switch.

 

Speaking of...

 

9 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Steam has become a nightmare. 😫 You should really try to get your game on Switch before the eShop become crowded as well... Well, it's already crowded to me but at least retro-style games still perform very well there.

Yeah, most of BupSystem's refactoring over the past few months has been in preparation for moving the game to the Switch / eShop - it's an extremely good fit. But we'd need to add a friendly menu to help configure options, then backport this to the Windows version. I've noticed that many users have issues finding the Input dialog among other things and should have their hands held through the setup process a little more.

 

Of course, none of that is free.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 6:05 AM, RushJet1 said:

It didn't get a ton of press coverage, though some smaller sites picked it up.  I'm surprised that AtariAge itself didn't have anything to say about it.

 

We got it reviewed on a decently-sized YouTuber's page (The 8-bit Guy) but 1) the game was reviewed as a part of 3 games being reviewed, and 2) most of those people are interested computers more than consoles, and even if they are, they'll be interested in the hardware copy if at all, and he doesn't mention that it's available on Steam anywhere.  Otherwise though it's a decent review of the hardware cart.

Isn't MetalJesusRocks an enthousiast of the Atari 7800. Maybe somebody should let him know about this game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I streamed it on Twitch the night I got it, but I'm not going to delude myself that I have anywhere near the viewership of Metal Jesus or 8-Bit Guy. :D

 

I DO intend to include it in my 'victory stream' after I finish my 7800 library collection. ^^d

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I had some free time as my son was sick and installed the composite video mod in my other PAL Atari. Still need to tidy everything up. BUt I can finally dig down into this game

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought the Steam version during the sale, love the pixel perfection on it. Hope to see it on Xbox store someday or maybe since GamePass is super popular, maybe get it on there?

 

BTW, RushJet1 released the FM Edition of the soundtrack:

https://rushjet1.com/album/rikki-vikki-fm-edition

 

I play the soundtrack via Spotify on Xbox One X when I'm playing Forza Horizon 4, I can't get enough of this music.

It's so good, especially the boss music, all 3 are amazing.

- 1P Cavern Guardian

- A Bolt of Misery

- Eternal Misery

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2019 at 9:05 PM, RushJet1 said:

It didn't get a ton of press coverage, though some smaller sites picked it up.  I'm surprised that AtariAge itself didn't have anything to say about it.

 

We got it reviewed on a decently-sized YouTuber's page (The 8-bit Guy) but 1) the game was reviewed as a part of 3 games being reviewed, and 2) most of those people are interested computers more than consoles, and even if they are, they'll be interested in the hardware copy if at all, and he doesn't mention that it's available on Steam anywhere.  Otherwise though it's a decent review of the hardware cart.

 

I watch The 8-bit Guy but he's not going to pimp anything hard unless it's Commodore-related. MetalJesusRocks - and hopefully The Immortal John Hancock in the same video - would pimp the shiznet out of it. MetalJesus would also mention the Windows version too; he'd probably be completely amazed that you wrote your own 7800 emulator just to play the game on Windows...and he'd mention that if the community wants to see the game on the Switch that the Windows version needs to sell more...

 

Edited by Lynxpro
punctuation.
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 9:44 AM, Lynxpro said:

I watch The 8-bit Guy but he's not going to pimp anything hard unless it's Commodore-related. MetalJesusRocks - and hopefully The Immortal John Hancock in the same video - would pimp the shiznet out of it.

Out of the 35 - 40 influcencers and outlets we contacted, The 8-Bit Guy was the only one who picked up the game. John reached out to us and already (very generously) promoted it on his own, but yes - additional coverage is always better.

 

 

On 7/19/2019 at 9:44 AM, Lynxpro said:

MetalJesus would also mention the Windows version too; he'd probably be completely amazed that you wrote your own 7800 emulator just to play the game on Windows...and he'd mention that if the community wants to see the game on the Switch that the Windows version needs to sell more...

That emulator is getting an update next month, too. Some of its improvements will get rolled into the Windows version of Rikki & Vikki's fall update. I'll try to nudge it a little more then, but it's already been seven months since the game has released and it's just not getting press or sales. There is little reason to continue to invest in pushing it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2019 at 9:44 AM, Lynxpro said:

 

I watch The 8-bit Guy but he's not going to pimp anything hard unless it's Commodore-related. MetalJesusRocks - and hopefully The Immortal John Hancock in the same video - would pimp the shiznet out of it. MetalJesus would also mention the Windows version too; he'd probably be completely amazed that you wrote your own 7800 emulator just to play the game on Windows...and he'd mention that if the community wants to see the game on the Switch that the Windows version needs to sell more...

 

 

Well John Hancock made a video about it and MetalJesusRocks posted about that video on his website apparently: https://www.metaljesusrocks.com/metal-jesus-likes/new-atari-7800-game-rikki-vikki-unboxing-review/

 

It's always fun when you realize that more people liked that one video than bought the game on Steam :X

Edited by RushJet1
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

35-40 people could have got a early game to review? They all should have taken the deal. I could influence some people to buy just would need to know who's fingers I need to break. 

I seen one review of these "influencers" where the guy showed a quick clip of Rikki & Vikki on the 7800 like it was no big deal and quickly moved onto another game..

Edited by Jinks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jinks said:

35-40 people could have got a early game to review? They all should have taken the deal. I could influence some people to buy just would need to know who's fingers I need to break. 

I seen one review of these "influencers" where the guy showed a quick clip of Rikki & Vikki on the 7800 like it was no big deal and quickly moved onto another game..

I think the person in question either didn't care or was ignorant of how impressive the game really is...  i mean, 16-bit soind. Who does not want that?🤯

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not feel it is right to complain about an influencer "not promoting the game enough."

 

Please consider there may be other games or topics they want to cover, I only shared these numbers to give an idea of what support we received. In general, any mention is better than none.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah something is better than nothing. I have to realize not everyone is amazed as I am when it comes to the significance of this 7800 game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Yeah something is better than nothing. I have to realize not everyone is amazed as I am when it comes to the significance of this 7800 game. 

To be perfectly fair, technical achievements aside, it's an 8-bit NES style platformer with 16-bit sound. It would have been at home in the early 90s on NES, or SNES with enhanced graphics/sound.

 

I know and you know and I think everyone following this thread knows the levels of achievement this games makes on a technical level ported to the 7800.

 

Many people who did not grow up in the bit wars era, may actually enjoy retro games if they can look past the graphics, but may still be largely ignorant of the technical achievements necessary to port it to system X. Lots of post 9/11 kiddos getting into NES for instance, though Atari with it's blocky style graphics and "beeps and farts" are largely overlooked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a shame this has not gotten more coverage. This game is a marvel of engineering, and I was hoping this would inspire more games with the technology. I beat this game on Singles mode already but I go back to play it again. But I don't have a page with thousands of followers, and I lost most of my 7800 collection. 

 

This officially makes this an underrated game for an underrated system. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 2:24 PM, gambler172 said:

How many games are sold till now?

Here's the numbers by platform...

  • Atari 7800 : 354
  • Microsoft Windows (Steam) : 465
  • Microsoft Windows (Standalone) : 23

 

Addedum : There's also 1,704 Steam "wishlist" entries, to give an idea of our conversion rate.

Edited by TailChao
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats pretty good for 7800 sales. 

Maybe next year if there is still 7800 games around will buy another copy. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TailChao said:

Microsoft Windows (Standalone) : 23

Where does one go to buy the standalone version for Windows?  I'd be willing to buy it when it's on sale (I already bought the 7800 version).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TailChao said:

Here's the numbers by platform...

  • Atari 7800 : 354
  • Microsoft Windows (Steam) : 465
  • Microsoft Windows (Standalone) : 23

 

Addedum : There's also 1,704 Steam "wishlist" entries, to give an idea of our conversion rate.

 

Don't care too much about sales numbers, but I am curious about any potential profit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TailChao said:

Here's the numbers by platform...

  • Atari 7800 : 354
  • Microsoft Windows (Steam) : 465
  • Microsoft Windows (Standalone) : 23

 

Addedum : There's also 1,704 Steam "wishlist" entries, to give an idea of our conversion rate.

Wow. Such a great game. This should have sold way more given the level of polish. 😭

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NostAlgae37 said:

Where does one go to buy the standalone version for Windows?  I'd be willing to buy it when it's on sale (I already bought the 7800 version).

It's the g_Humblebundle.gif link on the first post of this thread (alternatively, you can click this one). There's a Humble Widget right below the Steam link on the game's purchasing page.

 

If you've not used Humble Bundle before or don't want to make an account with them, make sure you keep the email they send you after purchase - you can use this to download updates in the future.

 

 

13 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Don't care too much about sales numbers, but I am curious about any potential profit.

There was none, and considering we're over half a year past launch there likely won't be.

 

I mentioned on the previous page that the game had yet to make back even half of what was invested in it, and that's still the case. The company is being packed up for hibernation over the next few months.

  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, TailChao said:

It's the g_Humblebundle.gif link on the first post of this thread (alternatively, you can click this one). There's a Humble Widget right below the Steam link on the game's purchasing page.

 

If you've not used Humble Bundle before or don't want to make an account with them, make sure you keep the email they send you after purchase - you can use this to download updates in the future.

 

 

There was none, and considering we're over half a year past launch there likely won't be.

 

I mentioned on the previous page that the game had yet to make back even half of what was invested in it, and that's still the case. The company is being packed up for hibernation over the next few months.

So sorry to hear this. It really is a wonderful little game and I will always cherish my physical copy. Let us know if you decide to do any homebrews in the future. This little cart is a truly is marvel of modern and vintage technology. 🕹️ 👍

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kosmic Stardust said:

So sorry to hear this. It really is a wonderful little game and I will always cherish my physical copy. Let us know if you decide to do any homebrews in the future. This little cart is a truly is marvel of modern and vintage technology. 🕹️ 👍

No worries. Again, market failure is pretty much the default for an indie / low budget game.

 

I'll continue to develop new things, but cannot say what they'll be or when they'll happen at this moment. But there's still a few 7800 related things I'll release before closing up (BupSystem v0.9.6.1, ProSMS, Rikki & Vikki's Windows fall update, etc.).

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would simply like to express that while I no longer have a 7800 (haven't for about 10 years now), this very game alone has had me looking at finding another just to purchase and play the 7800 version of your game. It's definitely one of the most impressive games I've seen for the 7800 and have wanted a chance to at least play it at some gaming convention if a 7800 never finds a way to my doorstop, though I'm feeling it's inevitably going to happen. A 7800 with this game landing on my doorstep, that is. :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...