IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

48 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I bought the digital version on Steam a while back, and have enjoyed it immensely, but of course I've been jonesing to play this game on a real 7800. Just got my copy today which was after and extremely quick turn-around time after ordering, and must say I'm quite impressed with the quality of the packaging, not to mention with the game itself. Just one little oddity, though...the board seems to have a very loose fit inside of the cartridge, as it rattles around a bit when handling it. Is this normal, or did I just get an odd duck? It's not a big deal at all, personally, just wondering if that's normal for the board and the cartridge shell.

Mine's a bit rattly - nothing too visible if shaken but it's a bit noisy yeah. Barely notice if I don't try to shake it, never any issue with it going into the slot right. Assuming yours is like mine, that seems normal.

2 hours ago, Hastor said:

Mine's a bit rattly - nothing too visible if shaken but it's a bit noisy yeah. Barely notice if I don't try to shake it, never any issue with it going into the slot right. Assuming yours is like mine, that seems normal.

Yeah, it's not bad, just a little more rattle to it than most other 7800 carts. It fits in the cart slot like a dream, though.

16 hours ago, Sauron said:

I bought the digital version on Steam a while back, and have enjoyed it immensely, but of course I've been jonesing to play this game on a real 7800. Just got my copy today which was after and extremely quick turn-around time after ordering, and must say I'm quite impressed with the quality of the packaging, not to mention with the game itself. Just one little oddity, though...the board seems to have a very loose fit inside of the cartridge, as it rattles around a bit when handling it. Is this normal, or did I just get an odd duck? It's not a big deal at all, personally, just wondering if that's normal for the board and the cartridge shell.

This is normal - the brackets on the game's board which mate with its plastic shell are slightly oversized, giving it a little too much wiggle room. But what you have should still be sturdy enough to last.

Unfortunately, I didn't catch this issue before manufacturing since our development boards had a large socketed flash which was pressing against the bottom of the shell and holding it in place. If we were to do another 7800 game or production run of Rikki & Vikki, the board's dimensions could be adjusted to fit the plastics a little more snugly.

12 hours ago, Sauron said:

Yeah, it's not bad, just a little more rattle to it than most other 7800 carts. It fits in the cart slot like a dream, though.

...and this was an absolute pain. We had to do at least 5 - 6 revisions of the shell design to make sure the plastics would fit in all variations of the cartridge guide. Definitely not one of the hardware's more elegant parts.

Edited by TailChao
  • Like 5

On 11/2/2020 at 8:04 AM, Mayhem said:

Still debating whether to stay in the 7800 scene or not, as I'm selling up all my originals currently (but not the homebrew yet, just the games from the 80s). Best make a decision soon, although I do have the money spare to buy it right now...!

Maybe the Steam version would be the way to go? Don't need your 7800 for that.

On 11/2/2020 at 11:03 AM, sramirez2008 said:

This game speaks for itself and deserves to be in everyone's 7800 library. Its in mine and soon it will be in my sons.?

:-oWow:-o Ridiculously fast shipping too! I placed my order last Thursday and it arrived today. Excellent as my son is dropping by tomorrow.

Thanks?

• Like 2

On 11/4/2020 at 2:33 PM, Mayhem said:

True but I don't do Steam either, my PC isn't up to most games on the platform.

We also offer a standalone Windows version through a Humble Widget, which will run full speed on a 1.2GHz Pentium III and (in my opinion) is the definitive version. Aside from some of the Steam and BupChip work, the game was developed entirely on one of these - so I tried to keep the requirements low.

On 11/4/2020 at 3:43 PM, sramirez2008 said:

:-oWow:-o Ridiculously fast shipping too! I placed my order last Thursday and it arrived today. Excellent as my son is dropping by tomorrow.

Thanks?

No problem, orders usually go out in 1 - 2 business days.

On 11/4/2020 at 7:38 PM, 7800Knight said:

EmBRPytW0AAzo4z?format=jpg&name=large

Got my copy yesterday.  I am impressed!

I'm impressed you're willing to use a genuine PainLine! Might want to consider an upgrade ;)

21 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

How many copies left @TailChao? Read it was 14 at some point this past Saturday?

3 Copies left.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TailChao said:

We also offer a standalone Windows version through a Humble Widget, which will run full speed on a 1.2GHz Pentium III and (in my opinion) is the definitive version. Aside from some of the Steam and BupChip work, the game was developed entirely on one of these - so I tried to keep the requirements low.

No problem, orders usually go out in 1 - 2 business days.

I'm impressed you're willing to use a genuine PainLine! Might want to consider an upgrade ;)

3 Copies left.

Anyone that's still on the fence, should pull the trigger now. This game is legit!

• Like 3

I'm curious too though as these didn't seem to fly off the shelf until they were down to a few left (and gaining value), I'm not sure if there's enough confidence they'd sell. TailChao has mentioned another possible batch in the future, but I imagine they'll want to hear of some demand, maybe even some pre-orders, to make it less risky. Ultimately though, TailChao will have the say on that! I'm just speculating.

The Atari 7800 version is now sold out. Some lucky buyer managed to squeeze their order between the inventory running out and disabling a button, so they'll be receiving an unclaimed press copy for a total of 551 units.

Regarding what happens next, I'll be taking a break from the board and scene for awhile. There may be an additional run produced in the future but I'm not making any promises on what will or will not happen. The Windows version will continue to be maintained.

I am not smart enough to manage preorders so this sort of thing will not happen.

Thanks again to everyone who gave the game a try.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, TailChao said:

The Atari 7800 version is now sold out. Some lucky buyer managed to squeeze their order between the inventory running out and disabling a button, so they'll be receiving an unclaimed press copy for a total of 551 units.

Regarding what happens next, I'll be taking a break from the board and scene for awhile. There may be an additional run produced in the future but I'm not making any promises on what will or will not happen. The Windows version will continue to be maintained.

I am not smart enough to manage preorders so this sort of thing will not happen.

Thanks for making Rikki & Vikki - it's really an awesome accomplishment for the 7800.

Take the break; you deserve it :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TailChao said:

I hope to see you back eventually.

Either way, thank you for your all of your contributions — game, tools, hardware, advice.

• Like 1

@TailChao I do have an Atari 7800 joypad controller (similar to the NES one).  I plan to use that once I invest some more time into playing the game.  In fact, I'm also considering getting one of those arcade style joystick/fire button controllers from the AA store for the 7800.

As for the game itself, I'm still getting used to it.  Given the fact that you need to collect all the keys on the screen and each level has to be solved in a particular way, I see Rikki & Vikki as a cross between Super Mario Bros and Chip's Challenge.

On 11/6/2020 at 12:13 PM, TailChao said:

Thanks for the great game. Please make sure to let us know what else you make. Even if not a 7800 game.

I put some time in today, playing Rikki & Vikki on my 7800 with my joypad.

It is a fun game.  I actually beat the first series of stages, Rock Cavern, and made it to the second set known as the Sand Cavern.  It got tricky though.  I am annoyed there's no password feature but I am willing to put more time into the game to beat it one day.  

48 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

The photograph below won't do justice to how the game actually looks on a TV because it was taken with a potato, but it really looks (and sounds) lovely.  Thanks again :)

I couldn't agree more. The game really is visually stunning. Combine that with also being a quality game to play and this thing is sure to stay in the top tier of the 7800 heap for a long time.

• Like 4