IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

On 3/10/2021 at 6:39 AM, Trebor said:

The *.a78 format is a *.bin file with a header.  There is no *.a78 header though that supports the game currently.

Even if the header exists, there still needs to be support for the 'BupChip' in order to hear any audio from those *.mus files.

I tried it using the .bin renamed to .a78 and got as far as a garbled screen. I mentioned it on the MiSTer discord and like you, one of the devs said something about the header and took a look.

The game is now running on the MiSTer sans the .mus files, so you get sound effects but no music. I played it, it's fantastic. Of course it'd be much better if the music was in. But there's some very smart people developing for the MiSTer so I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

8 hours ago, Skeeter said:

I tried it using the .bin renamed to .a78 and got as far as a garbled screen. I mentioned it on the MiSTer discord and like you, one of the devs said something about the header and took a look.

The game is now running on the MiSTer sans the .mus files, so you get sound effects but no music. I played it, it's fantastic. Of course it'd be much better if the music was in. But there's some very smart people developing for the MiSTer so I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

I halfway jokingly told Osman that I might have to really try at making a TIA version of the soundtrack if emulating bupboop isn't possible

sand.bin

Edited by RushJet1
  • Like 7

I've heard a lot of jabrones, tricks, pimps, skeezers, furries, bad guys, gnomes and dorks say that Rikki & Vikki was one of the most impressive games ever made for the Atari 7800.

As a guy that has reviewed 100+ games for the 7800, I'm not easily impressed. Let's see what the Funk thought on his weekend excursion to Misery Land. 

https://www.atari7800forever.com/rikkiandvikkir.html

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RushJet1 said:

I halfway jokingly told Osman that I might have to really try at making a TIA version of the soundtrack if emulating bupboop isn't possible

sand.bin 4 kB · 7 downloads

While there's a lot of activity with various in-cart sound chips, and I have contributed a bit to that and likely will continue to, and certainly R&V benefitted from BupChip, I still have a huge appreciation for good TIA music. You're doing great stuff with TIA, better than some POKEY music, and I hope some of it will make it into a 7800 game soon.

9 hours ago, RushJet1 said:

Yeah and that was just me making a track that kept similar tuning to the actual TIA.  I later ported it to the TIA though

Hey man- just reviewed the game and listened to the Rikki & Vikki soundtrack for like 8 hours as I cleaned up my Atari website and finished some TV projects. The music in this game is just amazing. Sand Cavern and especially Metal Cavern and even the title screen music were my favorites. Totally blown away. As a musician myself, impressed with the composition, the modes, changes, modulations and all of that jive. Excellent work.

• Like 2

An .ips or patch file to add tia (or pokey or ym2151 or covox) music to this game would be amazing (and maybe add a header too with the new souper flag). I did implement souper in the 7800 core, but because bupchip is a modern microcontroller running software, it's much harder to deal with on fpga, and not implemented. I know it's a big ask, but it would be cool to see for such an amazing game :)

• Like 4

On 3/30/2021 at 11:56 PM, RushJet1 said:

I smile every time it hits that high note. :)

I love this TIA version, and would love to hear more of Rikki & Vikki (if you've already converted them).

On 3/20/2021 at 6:08 AM, MattelAquarius said:

Just a reminder that the game is still available via Steam or Humble Bundle at a bargain price!

http://www.penguinet.net/Games/Rikki_Vikki/Purchase/index.php

The pride of ownership!   :)

Will it work with Concerto or Dragonfly plugged into an actual 7800?

Edited by BIGHMW

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

No, it's a PC game.

Actually, I believe it a ROM of the game wrapped with the BupSystem emulator. I don't recall if anyone has tried to run the bundled ROM file on a multi cart, but if it did work, there would be no sound.

1 hour ago, Karl G said:

Actually, I believe it a ROM of the game wrapped with the BupSystem emulator. I don't recall if anyone has tried to run the bundled ROM file on a multi cart, but if it did work, there would be no sound.

I bet you would have to extract the ROM.  Even then, I doubt it would work.  Haven't looked at the Steam version.

2 hours ago, Karl G said:

** No music. The sound effects are TIA and work even without bupchip. TailChao has a verilog implementation of the Souper mapper available (with an open license), which is enough to make the game operate fully minus the music.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I bet you would have to extract the ROM.  Even then, I doubt it would work.  Haven't looked at the Steam version.

The developer has mentioned that the Steam version includes the rom as plainly accessible. So the only extraction you need to do is extracting a file from a folder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...