IGNORED

Idea:External Atari ST drive transformed to 8-bit (XF551 internals)

manterola

Hello Lenore

What's holding me back is that fact that I used 1.44 MB disks with my FloppyBoard, which the SF drives can't read. Plus the fact that, apart from the FB, I already have two XF's (one with dual drive upgrade by CSS), two of your new XF PCB's, four 1050's, one of them has a Speedy of some sort, plus I have a couple of MegaSpeedys and two BitWriters (I've always wanted those). All of which I still have to built in. And I have more (hard disk, Zip, CD, DVD) drives than the BlackBox has ID numbers.

Sincerely

Mathy (who has had all of those SCSI drives connected to his BlackBox. Even played music and loaded data from CD or DVD via the BlackBox)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The din 13p I guess it is... Ok that cable male connector is very difficult to find... So that explain the change.

I was just scanning through this thread and saw this post, which reminded me of times when I've seen people making similar claims in other threads whenever the DIN-13 plugs are mentioned.

To set the record straight, the idea that these are difficult to get is definitely an urban legend.

I give you two very well known sources below for the plug and the jack (and when I submit the CUI P/N in octopart.com I'll get at least 3 more).

DIN-13 Plug Assembly

CUI P/N: SD-130

Mouser: 490-SD-130

Digi-Key: CP-1013-ND

DIN-13 PCB Jack

CUI P/N: SDD-130J

Mouser: 490-SDD-130J

Digi-Key: CP-2313-ND

Now if we could only find multiple CHEAP sources for Pokey chips, now that that would be something :grin: .

Edit: Opps I see you were referring to the original SIO being difficult to find, not the DIN-13 --- my mistake :dunce:

Edited by mytek

I was just scanning through this thread and saw this post, which reminded me of times when I've seen people making similar claims in other threads whenever the DIN-13 plugs are mentioned.

To set the record straight, the idea that these are difficult to get is definitely an urban legend.

I give you two very well known sources below for the plug and the jack (and when I submit the CUI P/N in octopart.com I'll get at least 3 more).

DIN-13 Plug Assembly

CUI P/N: SD-130

Mouser: 490-SD-130

Digi-Key: CP-1013-ND

DIN-13 PCB Jack

CUI P/N: SDD-130J

Mouser: 490-SDD-130J

Digi-Key: CP-2313-ND

Now if we could only find multiple CHEAP sources for Pokey chips, now that that would be something :grin: .

Edit: Opps I see you were referring to the original SIO being difficult to find, not the DIN-13 --- my mistake :dunce:

Yep, you are totally right. We would have loved to keep, or a better word, to reuse the original Din 14 pin pcb connector of the sf314/354, But it is very difficult to find the male connector to build the custom cable.

The only thing I found (and I post here if some else is looking for this) is a "cables to go" vga cable adapter which can be re purposed as SF314 data cable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CTG-40247-Cable-To-Go-20IN-W-FERRITE-VGA-S-VGA-HDB15M-DIN14M/182020361044?hash=item2a61424b54:g:CTQAAOSwzgRWvCGS:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

But I don't want to generate confusion with my previous link, so let me set the record straight:

Th new PCB does NOT use the original floppy data connector of Atari ST (DIN14). It does not use the standard SIO connector either.

The new PCB uses a new ready available SD-130 connector footprint.

So you need to (at least) build one special cable with one sd-130 and one standard SIO connector. Or cut a SIO cable in half and just solder it to the PCB, if you don't want to build the special cable.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to update everyone. I've had a delay in finalizing the SF551 board. Found some irritating errors that made what I thought was a finished board unusable and definitely a eyesore when they were fixed. I'm sorry for the delay. It shouldn't be much longer. I guess I could use the excuse that I'm working on several projects at the same time, but I should manage my time better.

In the meantime I wanted to prove that this project is not vaporware. It isn't finished yet, but it is very close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hdrefiF9a8

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

It's done. The SF551 lives. :-D

I've already sold out the first 10 batch of boards. Those boards are going out to the buyers today. The BOM is up on my website and I hope to have a video/pdf info on assembly and making the custom SIO cable later this week.

The board looks very close to the board in the above youtube video. A few minor changes and fixes. The crucial thing is that you will need to make a custom SIO cable. And you will need to salvage a few parts from your SF314/SF354 boards including the drive itself and the case.

I am looking at trying to fit a common mode choke that is more easily gotten from Mouser for the next version. The other two parts from your SF314/SF354 the power input jack and power switch looks like you can order from Best Electronics as individual parts, but you would have to call them to verify it.

Edited by Dropcheck
  • Like 8

News Flash!

Found a much simpler way to make the custom SIO cables. This was first brought up in the 1088XLD Development Group. Yes you are soldering wires still, but only wires. You don't have to fiddle with the connectors themselves unless you just want to beat yourself up. :) BOM is updated.

Take a 1 Ft standard SIO cable and cut it in half. Strip and tin the individual wires. Ohm each for which pin on the other end it goes to, label the pin # on a sticky label and wrap it around that wire.

Purchase this type of cable, (don't get the locking kind) for example this Ebay seller, again cut the cable in half, strip and tin the individual wires. Ohm each for which pin on the other end it goes to, label with a sticky label and wrap it around that wire.

Take one half cable of each SIO/MIDI.

Take a 3-4" length of 3/8" shrink wrap and slide over one end of the exposed wires of one cable. Then using 13 short shrink wrap pieces, solder the pin number matching of each wire from each cable(SIO to MIDI) together, slide the shrink wrap over the solder junction and apply hot air to shrink it tight. Move on to the next wire, repeat, move on to the next wire..... untill you are done. Now ohm both ends of the cable to verify that pin 1 of the SIO has continuity with pin 1 of the MIDI cable. If not stop and fix that wire immediately.

When you have verified that all 13 wires are correct, slide the big shrink wrap over the wire junction and heat with hot air until the rubber adheres to the wiring. Do the same with the other half cable ends and now you have the ability to put the drive anywhere in the peripheral daisy chain.

SF551BOM.pdf

Edited by Dropcheck
  • Like 5

Really interesting what kind of stuff you can dig up on the Internet. Who would have thought you'd be able to get ready-made ST cables in 2019! Interesting project, but no SF354 in sight here. I think those were not around for long here as everyone I knew got an SF314 right away, even the ST early adopters.

Edit: would it work with SF314s?

I didn't know that those Roland cables were sd130. That is cool.

I found some cablestogo branded cables in eBay that are compatible with the original Atari SF314/354 , but there are like 1 or 2 available. Notice!!! This sd130 is not the same as the original Atari connector (I guess the original is called din14)

Both are round and with a lot of pins, but the distribution of pins is different

Notice!!! This sd130 is not the same as the original Atari connector (I guess the original is called din14)

Both are round and with a lot of pins, but the distribution of pins is different

Now does that mean the Roland cable cut in the middle wont work for the custom SIO because the physical pin layout is different or is it just wired differently and thus wont work between an ST and an SF354?

Now does that mean the Roland cable cut in the middle wont work for the custom SIO because the physical pin layout is different or is it just wired differently and thus wont work between an ST and an SF354?

The Roland cable is using the plug mate for the SF551 data connector so it will work for the custom SIO cable contruction.

The Roland cable will not match the original SF314/SF354 data connector, so will not substitute for the original data cable from ST to external floppy drive.

• Like 1

I received my board a couple of days ago. Now I just have to scrounge up all the parts. I'm not worrying about the cables as I've decided to install SF551 in my 1200XL. I'll have to find a mechanism with an off-white face plate to match the XL "white" as closely as possible. But it will save a lot of trouble with not needing and XL style case an SIO differences since it'll be directly wired to the 1200XL's SIO port.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

I received my board a couple of days ago. Now I just have to scrounge up all the parts. I'm not worrying about the cables as I've decided to install SF551 in my 1200XL. I'll have to find a mechanism with an off-white face plate to match the XL "white" as closely as possible. But it will save a lot of trouble with not needing and XL style case an SIO differences since it'll be directly wired to the 1200XL's SIO port.

That's gonna be awesome, can't wait to see the end result :) .

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that the floppy controller IC VL1772 works with the sf551 board and floppy mech. VL1772 is a VLSI branded substitute of the WD1772 (western digital?).

It is difficult to find both, but at least when googling for the floppy disk controller chip, you have two options now. I got my VL1772 from utsource which I am not sure to recommend.

Other options for wd1772, is Aliexpress and Quest components.

I hope this helps.

• Like 2

I have a SF354 that doesn't have a ribbon cable. It has a 14 wire connector. Is there an adaptor or a pinout that would allow me to use that model.

These drive mechanics are only single-sided. It makes no sense to use it with the new PCB from Dropcheck, because you must use the Hyper-XF firmware (or the patched one) for 80 tracks. This firmware expects a double-sided drive.

These drive mechanics are only single-sided. It makes no sense to use it with the new PCB from Dropcheck, because you must use the Hyper-XF firmware (or the patched one) for 80 tracks. This firmware expects a double-sided drive.

But you can still use the sf551 PCB and firmware with single sized floppy and diskettes, just because it still looks cool ;-) and still is a lot of capacity to put together a small collection of games.