IGNORED

2532 EPROM uses & adapter for TL866

Nezgar

So I acquired a 2532>2732 adapter from a very nice Guy, Dave Stevenson from the UK who is offering them for sale on his hobby website: http://www.primrosebank.net/computers/pet/projects/roms/pet_roms.htmI didn't want to make an adapter from scratch, butI got his bare PCB, and soldered my own socket and pin headers. I stacked a few more machine sockets underneath so it would clear the handle of the ZIF socket on the TL866.

I successfully programmed the 1050 Rev "L" 4KB firmware to the TM2532A, and it would read back 100% OK... I thought I might try programming the stock 1050 REv "L" ROM for in a drive is still configured for the mask ROM jumper settings (JP1 & 3 closed)... But when powering up with the 2532 ROM, unfortunately it only resulted in a drive with an endlessly spinning motor.

I was also not able to use this adapter to READ a 1050 mask ROM in the programmer. Both issues are maybe something to do with the chip enables might have a different high-low configuration compared to the EPROM's.

Anyhow, is there any other use of the 2532's for Atari related gear? Attached is a picture of the adapter in a TL-866 if anyone else is interested, and here's the page on Dave's site: http://www.primrosebank.net/computers/pet/projects/roms/pet_roms.htm

post-53052-0-17592000-1544686141_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just at a casual glance it would appear that you need

to swing the entire board around so that Dave's name

is readable right side up if you want the directional

notch to agree with my collection of eprom burners.

There are various 2532 pinouts by manufacturer according

to rumor but I can't verify that the rumor has any

basis what so ever. It does appear that Texas Instrument's

JEDEC pinout that you are using is the sole survivor anyway.

Motorola and Signetics were rumored to have a different

pinout - but I can't find them.

I've not seen any use of the 2532 myself.

I guess I'm just curious at this point what specifically is different between the 1050's 2332 mask ROM, and a TI 2532A EPROM.

the drive does absolutely nothing when powered up with no ROM at all, so the fact it spins with the 2532 in place tells me its reading at least a little bit from the EPROM to engage the motor?

• 2 months later...

This was kind of a dead end thread, but in case other come across this tread in the future the answer to the differences between the 2332 mask ROM and a 2532 EPROM have been answered in continued discussions in the following thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/286590-repair-of-two-1050-floppy-disk-drives/

In short: We found a 2532 EPROM can be used in place of the 2332 mask ROM in a 1050 leaving JP1/JP3 jumpers in place, if pin 20 is lifted and connected to the top of JP4, or U16 pin 6.

post-53052-0-56761700-1550479805.jpg

A 2532 can also be used as a 4K ROM in an Atari 8KB brown shell mask rom cart PCB without modification, and the 4KB will dulicate in both the high/low half of the 8KB cartridge area. if you want to make a cart from a 4KB ROM...