IGNORED

Bounty Bob Strikes Back Question

keithbro

I was just wondering, is it possible to make a BBSB reproduction cart? There's just way to competition for the carts that pop up on eBay once in a blue moon. It would be sweet if everyone who wants to could have a chance to play this fantastic game.

Later,

Keith

Reproduction carts would be a lot of work because the game uses bankswitching (which is why it's not included on the multicart). I think most people are either:

1 Hardcore collectors who want a full collection of the actual carts (I did this) or

2. Players who will play a cheap version on another system, Atari 8-bit or C64

BTW, I haven't even mastered miner 2049er yet, that game is tough.

quote:

Originally posted by John Soper:

1 Hardcore collectors who want a full collection of the actual carts (I did this) or

2. Players who will play a cheap version on another system, Atari 8-bit or C64

Unfortunately it's not very cheap on the Atari 8-bit, as it set me back around $100. But it's one of my favorite 8-bit games, so well worth it in my opinion. If as many people collected Atari 8-bit games as they do for the 5200, the price would probably be even higher! Amusingly, it is the last game I actually need for the 5200 to complete my collection.

Short of having an actual cart, I think the best way to enjoy Bounty Bob Strikes Back would be to download the binary for the Atari 8-bit and play it in your favorite Atari 8-bit emulator. At least then you won't have to contend with the analog controls.

..Al

• Like 1

quote:

Originally posted by Mario's Other Brother:

Bill Hogue provides stand alone versions of Miner49er and Bounty Bob for the PC at
Big Five Software
. I think there are problems with BBSB binaries for emulators because of the bank-switching and copy protection.

You're right, I completely spaced on that page, even though we have it linked from our Bounty Bob Strikes Back page. Thanks!

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Pac Head:

I'm surprised that Big Five Software didn't release the Bounty Bob games on the NES or Sega 8 bit??

One thing's for sure, they're tough!!

I love both Miner 2049'er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back. I haven't played them in years, though, so I think I'll install the emulator from Big Five Software's site on my laptop so I can play them anytime. Well, anytime I have my laptop and nothing better to do. It'll be just like playing them for the first time, since I don't remember the "patterns" to each level.

I think I was first exposed to Miner 2049'er on the ColecoVision, but I remember being aggravated to no end trying to exert fine control using the ColecoVision controllers. And Miner 2049er is a game that requires it.

..Al

I used to play it on C64 and still have the cart. Is it worth as much as the 8bits?

On the c64 version you could skip lvl's by holding down the button on the joystick. I could get thru every lvl without cheating though, still it came in handy if you wanted to skip to a particular screen

quote:

Originally posted by moycon:

I used to play it on C64 and still have the cart. Is it worth as much as the 8bits?

I didn't know BBSB was released for the C64, you learn something new every day! I guess now I'll need to expand my hunt for BBSB carts to include the C64 (arrgh!) I have no idea what one might be worth for the C64, but if you'd ever like to sell it or trade it for something else, please let me know.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by John Soper:

I even read that the box is the same between the C64 and 5200, all you have to do is pull off the C64 sticker and you have one of those super-rare 5200 BBSB boxes.

I've never seen the Commodore 64 box, but if I remember correctly, the 5200 box says "ATARI 5200" ALL OVER it. If I remember correctly, it's on the front, the back, and three of the four sides. There must be a lot of stickers on that box!

..Al

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by Mario's Other Brother:

I think there are problems with BBSB binaries for emulators because of the bank-switching and copy protection.

1) You can always find a disk dump, they work (not on 130XE without patching)

2) Emulation is in Atari800 3.0 and works (I tested it right now).

I think the BBSB crack for the 8bit only works withs 800XL emulation (due to the memory hacks done for it).

I got an original cart for $70 - And no its not for sale unless you have a late model Boxster you want to part with

Sometimes, I just love rubbing it in...

A friend at work gave me his whole Atari 8-bit collection which included an XEGS (with gun), a modified 400 with full keyboard, many games I've never heard of (Peanut Butter Panic?) and...

Bounty Bob Strikes Back.

All for just being an Atari Fan. Beat that. ;-)

• 1 month later...

@moycon, Could you post a picture of that C64 Bounty Bob cart? I never even knew one existed. This isn't in the DP guide either.

Oh and as far as using a 5200 box for the C64 it would take 5 stickers to cover up all the 5200 references on the box! All 4 sides and one on the front. Also it would have most likely needed another poster/instructions since the one included with the 5200 version has Atari home computer/5200 on it and NO reference to any C64 version.

And if anyone is looking for a 8-bit version of this game, I've got one for auction right now:

Bounty Bob

//waves hand being the geezer who does the C64 DP section :D

Miner 2049er was released on cartridge for the C64, but not Bounty Bob (to my extensive knowledge). I've got a loose M2049, I've only ever seen one complete version on eBay (and got sniped for it).