IGNORED

How to examine a 1040 STe

6BQ5

I just got notice my 1040 STe arrived in the mail and it's waiting for me at home.

What are some of the things I should check out before I power it up? After I power it up?

It comes with two VGA cables, one for low resolution and one for high resolution. I will be using the high resolution cable since none of my monitors support 15 kHz horizontal sync rates.

I'm not totally unfamiliar with the ST. Way back in the late 80s, early 90's I had a 520 STfm. My Dad and I upgraded it to 1 MB. It felt so cool to have so much RAM. :-D

Thanks!

Make very very sure you know what the power expectation is!

Given how few STEs sold in the U.S. it is quite common to find British and German units, sometimes with swapped keyboards and sometimes not. Although the diligent owner would have swapped the PSU for a 110V unit you still run into unmodded European units that require a step-up transformer.

VGA cables are nice. Do you know for a fact your VGA monitor can handle a 15Khz signal? Many newer monitors cannot. The STE has RGB, composite video and RF out too, although again your success with the composite/RF will depend if your TV/monitor can handle whatever signal the STE is delivering.

Did you get a mouse? Do you have one? You can navigate around the desktop using the cursor keys and i think the Alt key if you don't have a mouse. Neither the PC nor the Amiga mouse work on the ST.

Other than that use common sense. Make sure the unit is completely dry. Check for any obvious airflow obstructions such as cat fur getting caught in the vents. Don't be surprised if the floppy disk no longer works. I've had to scrape all manner of weird goop off old computers. If you're feeling really daring open up the unit and do a visual inspection. The STE doesn't suffer the same failures as say an Amiga 1200, but you can still look for any capacitor swelling and ensure the handful of socketed chips are firmly in place.

Make sure the floppy drive is empty when you first power it up and it should take 6 seconds or more before the desktop appears. If you have a later TOS version you will see an Atari logo and a memory count on power up, assuming the unit works.

After you power it up stick around for a while as it warms up. There are some ST diagnostics software disks around that you could find and use to run some soak tests on the unit to make sure everything is as it should be.

If you decide to retro-brite it use the bath technique, not the paste technique. Its much more expensive I know, but the latter can cause blooming and may ruin an ST's case.

Good luck and congrats on your new acquisition!

• Like 2

The seller shipped the STe and mouse in one box and the cables in another. According to tracking info the second box is set to arrive this Saturday. I don't have a power cord or VGA cable with me. So, I can't power on the computer or connect it to a monitor.

The keyboard feels a little shifty in the case. Hmm... there are two "void if label is broken" stickers on the computer covering a screw.

Floppy drive is empty. Vents are open and clear. The top, front half of the case is discolored ... kind of like a tobacco yellow. I thought this was some sort of oily covering but it seems the plastic has fouled. Wiping the case down with antibacterial wipe didn't remove the yellowing. Otherwise, the computer looks really clean. I'm feeling optimistic.

Some photos are attached here. The discoloration is hard to see in the images.

I'm totally cool opening up the computer and taking a look inside. Been there, done that plenty of times. :) I may do that after I power it up ... after the cables arrive. Otherwise, I blow my ability to return the computer. Yes, I bought it from eBay so I have some buyer protection. :thumbsup:

post-66835-0-79457200-1546487057_thumb.jpg

post-66835-0-91005800-1546487071_thumb.jpg

post-66835-0-32097700-1546487088_thumb.jpg

:) I guess that 2 of 3 photos are upside down on purpose :-D

So, using it in only high res ? That sounds pretty bad - unless you are some PCB designer - there is Atari SW for that, of course works in mono mode. Or musician.

But seriously: first thing you need is floppy disk in drive. Not HD, but DD (called 720K often) . Otherwise you may have impression that it works not well - too long waiting dictated by OS written in times when people had something strange this days: patience. OMG ! I'm not serious again :)

If it appears to not work - no picture, keyboard click, or some distorted pic, reboots or freezes regularly - then it will need much more. PSU is what usual needs so called recapping.

Of course, opening it first is good idea.

And since you like lot of RAM, that could be good start with upgrades - unless it has already 4 MB of it. You will not need your dad for STE RAM upgrade ;)

Btw. that it was never opened (or at least seller said it) is not really good thing, especially not in case of 28 years old electronic. There are components degrading faster when it is not powered on for longer time. And there must be dust inside - except when it was boxed all time.

The STe keyboard is MUSH. I have a 1040STe and the keyboard sucks. Best Electronics "TT" Touch silicone contacts ( help the feel of the keyboard, but it will never be as nice as the Mega ST keyboard. :)

The case looks pretty nice -- the yellowing just looks like the usual yellowing of old ABS plastics.

Good luck and have fun!

• Like 1