IGNORED

The Retron 77 and using paddles.

GradualGames

1 hour ago, Microbc said:

Which docs are you referring to?

I have looked at the Stella manual but I can’t figure out how to switch between the top tabs in the advanced setting on the Retron77 to access what I need to adjust.

I didn’t see anything in the manual specific to navigating the top tabs on the Retron77.

To switch tabs, press the 4:3 / 16:9 button in the back.

I'd like to report my findings after playing with the settings.

Adjusting sensitivity and adjusting/turning off jitter controls did not fix this issue. Additionally, I decided to clean up a pair of OEM paddle pots and found these operate the exact same way as the Ranger controller. So as it stands now, DB9 paddle support seems to be broken in Stella 6.6.

40 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Have you tried Game Properties too? Maybe you have to adjust the Paddles X or Y-center.

So I just tried playing with these and they do have an effect, however this seems to have consequences. If I turn them up, it does allow for the player object to move further to the right but at the same time it decreases travel to the left making it impossible to find a good middle ground with this setting alone. Increasing sensitivity allows for further range, however, I found that increasing game specific X and Y reduces the effect of increasing sensitivity, making it quite a bit lower than I'd like.

Trying this on Demons to Diamonds, it's impossible to even turn the X and Y high enough to get the player object all the way over to the right.

Edited by SmartSped

I have attempted to adjust the Range (connected to the left port) but haven't been able to get it where it needs to be.

I know part of it is my lack of understanding exactly what each of the possible adjustments actually do.

I'll keep playing around with the setting as I am sure a combination of setting will be found and make the games more playable.

The main issue I continue to have is that when I turn the paddle to move the cursor to the right, just before it reaches the farthest right part of the screen, it "jumps" to the right and actually enters the border/frame of the right boundary.

3 minutes ago, Microbc said:

The main issue I continue to have is that when I turn the paddle to move the cursor to the right, just before it reaches the farthest right part of the screen, it "jumps" to the right and actually enters the border/frame of the right boundary.

That's a know bug. I hope we can fix it with the next release. 

7 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That's a know bug. I hope we can fix it with the next release. 

Thanks Thomas!

I won’t keep messing around with it until the next update comes out.

I’m a 60 yr old who had a 6 button years ago and love being able to play on a modern TV with the Retron 77.

On 3/1/2022 at 1:39 PM, Microbc said:

Yeah this was what I was trying to explain. Glad it's a known issue at least.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/9/2023 at 6:29 PM, fiudr said:

Same issue here - my new Ranger jumps all the way to the right once I hit the center of the screen. The paddle only works on the left side of the screen. This is with v6.6.0.

Bump

is there any update on this, My ranger just came today and im having the same issue with 6.6.0  

Thanks

1 hour ago, MikeDijital777 said:

Bump

is there any update on this, My ranger just came today and im having the same issue with 6.6.0  

Thanks

I just did a bug report on the official GitHub page so that it's properly filed. I'm not holding my breath though. There's been very little activity going on over there lately.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This is how I decided to handle the paddle issue.

I ended up using the latest community build for joystick based games and I created a separate SD card with the original build that allowed additional games just for paddle games.

I just switch cards when I want to play a few paddle games.

It works great with the Retron paddle controller hooked up directly to the 77.

No additional cables or adapters needed.

sure it is a pain to switch cards but it works out fine for me.