IGNORED

Tower of Rubble [ON HOLD]

mksmith

So DionoiD has now released his WIP of Tower of Rubble and his take is amazing to say the least! Great visuals, music and game play really makes it a fantastic Atari 2600 conversion. So for now I'm going to leave this to one side - I might pick up the game to maybe do something different down the track. I'm also making the source code available if anyone wants to make use of anything.

Thanks for your kind words, Matt!
Like I said before, your version is pretty impressive knowing that it is your very first Atari 2600 game.
But I think I understand why you've decided to put your version on hold, because as a developer, creating a game from A to Z requires you to sacrifice a lot of your spare time, so you need to make sure it's worth the effort. And when someone else is basically making the same game, it's hard to justify the effort and keep motivated, unless you're either doing it purely for educational purposes, or convinced that your version will be significantly better or different.
That said, I think you have proved to master '2600 development in a very short time. That is impressive and I hope you keep programming the Atari, as I'm really looking forward to your next game.
  • Like 2

DionioD,

Yeah I got a little stuck as 2 of my banks are pretty full and I ran out of vars. This is a very busy time for my work which has made it hard to get back to it. Certainly your version is awesome and brings everything I was hoping - I might get back to it one day or do something a little different with the stuff I've built.

I've certainly really enjoyed working on the 2600 and as well as doing the TIATracker mod and VS Code extension which I want to continue to build on soon (and do a 7800 extension as well!). Got a couple of blockers cleared on that yesterday so can move forward now.

Got some ideas for a couple of other remakes so once my free time returns I might build a concept version first - learning to minimise for the 2600 is certainly an art!

Keep up the great work my friend!

Edited by mksmith
  • Like 1